This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Gay Gamer Convention is NOT Necessary (Gaymercon 2013)

#61mx_703Posted 8/6/2012 6:39:39 PM
wstfld posted...
Gamers aren't bigoted Christians or Republicans, most of us are relatively young.

I was wondering how long it would take for the inane Christian and Republican bashing to come rushing in. It took longer than I expected.

Anyways, no, a "Gaymer" convention is not necessary. People wonder why segregation still exists today.. it's because people keep segregating themselves today.

What can I say, Christians and Republicans care a lot about butt sex for some reason.

Okay, being gay isn't just about sex.
---
PSN & MGO:mx703, AriZona XLink: mx_703
#62AskeladdPosted 8/6/2012 6:41:12 PM
Meh.
Why should anybody who isn't attending care either way.
It will probably be just a massive hook-up event, anyway.
Just like the gay straight alliance in high school.
Let them have their fun.
---
So when did being a geek become "hardcore?" That is some pretty absurd rebranding. I think I will stick with geek.
#63LiquidAntagonisPosted 8/6/2012 6:44:07 PM
userfrigginame posted...
that's like the prez of Chik-fil-a saying he's against gays. It doesn't matter cuz food and sexual preference have nothing to do with each other, just like games and sexual preference have nothing to do with each other.

Someone, riddle me this:

Does Cik-Fil-A prevent homosexuals from purchasing any given item at any given establishment solely because the people in question are homosexual? If so, that's completely wrong.

That's probably not the case, though.

The CEO (or whoever) of Cik-Fil-A has the right to his world view. Perhaps he shoulda kept his mouth shut, sure. Still, he's entitled to think what he wants.

The only time a person's sexuality, gender, ethnic background, religious beliefs, or any other quality that can potentially be discriminated against becomes a problem is when the aforementioned are persecuted, discriminated against, made completely unwelcome, or worse. Yes, I know, there are those in our society who still harbor animosity for homosexual (and even people of different ethnic groups), but these people are more and more becoming the exceptions, and by no means represent the majority.

...Right?
---
>provides users with the ability to dispute a "moderation"
>list of reasons why every argument is "refutable" =_=
#64RayconPosted 8/6/2012 6:44:54 PM
MetrosexualVaan posted...
I think I'm going to throw a Straight Gamer Convention out of spite. It's going to have hot (legal) girls, alcohol...and possibly games too. It shall henceforth be called Straightercon.

Would anyone have a problem with this? Or does it invoke the same reaction from others?
---
I grew it. I paid $1 for the seeds and have more celery than I can eat. It will bring you life. Your cheetos will bring you death. -PS
a tasty death - kloud 11
#65davidvincPosted 8/6/2012 6:48:38 PM
hedgylove posted...
I'm a lesbian...I don't see a problem with it. It's nice meeting gay people with similar interests as me, since almost everything is catered exclusively to white heterosexuals (TV, movies, even gaming. Straight people even invade gay clubs now.).

It's not like it's publicly funded, and there's no hate involved. I think people misunderstand the tone of "gay events."

I'm gay, and while I won't be going to this convention I have to wonder what everyone's problem about this is. It's privately funded, it helps stimulate the economy and it makes a group of people happy. What's the issue?!
---
Check out my collection and leave a comment!
http://backloggery.com/davidvinc
#66Xpired93Posted 8/6/2012 6:49:52 PM
don't really see the reason why they need a convention solely for gay gamers... be it straight, gay, guy, girl, black, white, asian.. we are still gamers.. there's no need to segregate us.
---
PSN ID: Horro_Fall
Life goal: Get all the game console and play all the games cuz screw social life.
#67banzaiheilPosted 8/6/2012 7:18:47 PM
davidvinc posted...
hedgylove posted...
I'm a lesbian...I don't see a problem with it. It's nice meeting gay people with similar interests as me, since almost everything is catered exclusively to white heterosexuals (TV, movies, even gaming. Straight people even invade gay clubs now.).

It's not like it's publicly funded, and there's no hate involved. I think people misunderstand the tone of "gay events."

I'm gay, and while I won't be going to this convention I have to wonder what everyone's problem about this is. It's privately funded, it helps stimulate the economy and it makes a group of people happy. What's the issue?!

The issue is the double standard. If there were a straight-only convention, people would be screaming from the rooftops about inequality.
---
RAMMSTEIN -Atlanta, GA 04/23/2012
Soooooooo good!
#68hedgylovePosted 8/6/2012 7:23:24 PM
davidvinc posted...
hedgylove posted...

Exactly. Not to mention that I'm sure any open-minded straight gamer would be welcome, too. They would just have to be willing to look at it all from a different perspective :)

I doubt any of the people going to this "hate" straight people. They just want to meet people they identify with, just like they do at clubs, parades, and any other type of event. It's about having fun with people who understand you, and I don't think that's unreasonable considering the world is designed for straight people exclusively. Suicide rates are way higher for gay people partially because of how underrepresented we are among the world outside the gay community. It's not about shoving anything in anyone's face.
---
RIP Maisey, my sweet little hedgehog.
12/22/08 - 02/13/12
#69killakPosted 8/6/2012 7:26:15 PM
We don't need 7 gamer conventions a year either.
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........
#70Grandy12Posted 8/6/2012 7:26:22 PM
The way I see it, by making a separate convention for Gay people, the gays are effectivelly increasing the distance which separates from from straight people.

By which I mean, if someone is gay, and he rightfully thinks that his sexual preference doesn't make him different from anyone else, then he goes to a convention that separates people based on their sexual preferences (even if the separation is psychological as opposite to actually separating people), he's being hypocritical.
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006