This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Gay Gamer Convention is NOT Necessary (Gaymercon 2013)

#71SoaringDivePosted 8/6/2012 7:26:34 PM
I don't see a problem with this.

If you want a straight gamer convention, or a black gamer convention, or a female gamer convention, you can go make one. This isn't "special treatment", it's that they got off their asses and held a convention.
---
"Level up your life, every single day." ~Steve Kamb
#72Grandy12Posted 8/6/2012 7:29:16 PM
SoaringDive posted...
This isn't "special treatment", it's that they got off their asses and held a convention.

Uh... you do realise that any group of people that ever got special treatment on anything, it was because someone else got off their asses and gave them that special treatment, right?

Also, I thought about a dozen jokes regarding the context of this conversation and the sentence "got off their asses".

I'm not sure mods would approve.
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#73geddoe_1027Posted 8/6/2012 7:34:36 PM
Gay person: "Don't hate, we're people like you. Also we're segregating ourselves from regular gaming conventions. No, you can't come."
---
You're trolling. - Everyone
#74killakPosted 8/6/2012 7:36:36 PM
Gay person: "Don't hate, we're people like you. Also we're segregating ourselves from regular gaming conventions. No, you can't come."

Ever heard of a women only gym? Some people are just more comfortable around those that most likely won't contain people who will jeer and make secret little jokes.

And segregating? Are you serious?
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#75Grandy12Posted 8/6/2012 7:38:18 PM
geddoe_1027 posted...

To be fair, open-minded straight people are probably welcome.

But if that is the case, it begs us the question on what's the point of it being a gay convention at all.

I may have misused the sentence "begs us the question"
---
#76RayconPosted 8/6/2012 7:39:04 PM

Also, I thought about a dozen jokes regarding the context of this conversation and the sentence "got off their asses".

I'm not sure mods would approve.

XD
---
I grew it. I paid $1 for the seeds and have more celery than I can eat. It will bring you life. Your cheetos will bring you death. -PS
a tasty death - kloud 11
#77qwertyMrJINXPosted 8/6/2012 7:40:25 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'd totally go if I were the type of person who went to conventions.
---
"You don't need a knife to kill a game maker. Just call it crap." - Piros
#78Grandy12Posted 8/6/2012 7:49:30 PM(edited)
killak posted...
Ever heard of a women only gym? Some people are just more comfortable around those that most likely won't contain people who will jeer and make secret little jokes.

When straight people claim to be "uncomfortable" near homossexuals, they are homophobic.

When homossexuals claim to be "uncomfortable" near straight people, they are...?

EDIT:

Also, your women only gym example is flawed. Women go to women-only gyms because they don't want males drooling over them.

Unless you're saying that homossexuals don't want the straight people drooling over them.

That analogy would ironically work better if you were defending the existance of conventions where gay people are banned, since (some, close minded), straight people wouldn't want the homossexuals drooling over them.

(And before you say anything, I am aware most homossexuals don't drool over people. most men also wouldn't drool over women, but hey, female gyms.)
---
#79SoaringDivePosted 8/6/2012 7:46:33 PM(edited)
Grandy12 posted...
killak posted...

When straight people claim to be "uncomfortable" near homossexuals, they are homophobic.

When homossexuals claim to be "uncomfortable" near straight people, they are...?

Nonexistent?

(if one does exist, it'd be called heterophobic)
---
"Level up your life, every single day." ~Steve Kamb
#80killakPosted 8/6/2012 7:48:08 PM

That's not even worth a response if you think gays preferring to be alone, is even remotely close to the "they should burn in hell" attitude that they've been the recipient of for many years.

and things like homophobia, racism, sexism etc etc, are all usually one sided, so there's no point in looking for fairsies now.
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........