This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should i get a brand new PS3 slim? Or repair my old BC 80 gig?

#1Lunitik56Posted 9/1/2012 8:37:34 AM
My 80gb PS3 has broke for the second time in 5 years, and i have a choice to make. I can either send that in for repairs, and have it return guaranteed to work (but not guaranteed to last), or i can send in that 80gig and say goodbye to BC forever, and get a brand new PS3 slim 160 gigs

The price will be the same, its like $150 or something.
My initial thought was to get my 80gb repaired, cause i still play some PS2 games, but the guy said he can guarantee that it will come back fixed, but he cant guarantee how long it will last because it is such an old model, and i may end up turning it in for repairs again a few years down the line.

What do you think i should do?
---
PSN: Lt_Dan87
"When I sit at a table and I need to bet 3 or 4 hundred thousand in a hand, and Im bluffing, I just dont care." - Phil Ivey
#2desert_santaPosted 9/1/2012 8:38:49 AM
i say new!
#3Rock Dash3XPosted 9/1/2012 8:41:25 AM
Honestly I saw go for 80 again since you still play PS2 games.
#4ISeeDeadPetzPosted 9/1/2012 8:43:18 AM
I say new also. The repaired or replacement ps3 Sony sent me broke after 3 month.
#5SauceyWombatPosted 9/1/2012 8:56:05 AM(edited)
For me it boils down to the upscaling of PS2 game discs on HDTV's. That's about the only real benefit the BC PS3 consoles have over a regular PS2 console with component cables.

If upscaling of PS2 disc games isn't a selling point for you then ditch the 80GB & get a new PS3. If it is a valued feature then just consider the repair something you need to invest in periodically.

EDIT:
If you decide to repair your 80GB then I recommend you look into reliable repair shops that will replace your GPU RSX's solder with lead-solder (AKA reball). I'm deciding where to get this done for my 60GB & I'm leaning towards endlesselectronics.org because I can add a lifetime YLOD warranty for around $50: http://www.endlesselectronics.org/ps3_repair/ps3_repair/upgrades.html#lifetime

Other places I'm considering are gophermods.com, & rsolpc.com
Double Edit LOL. MadDewg posted while I was editing xD
---
R.I.P. 60GB PS3. 11/29/06 - 7/11/12
R.I.P. 40GB PS3 11/2008 - 8/28/2012 (>.<) 2 PS3's in 2 months >:/
#6EsperStarrPosted 9/1/2012 8:47:28 AM
Save your 80 and get a new one.

But watch out because rumors speculate a new model is coming out...that will be cheaper... This includes a model with 16GB flash memory that's rumored 150 dollars.

if it comes out....you could just put your 80GB in that one
Even though 80gigs sucks =)

Hope I helped
#7MadDewgPosted 9/1/2012 8:51:07 AM(edited)
Repair it via gophermods or endless electronics with the reball service and get your thermal pads replaced. Sony doesn't repair ****, btw (just replace yours with an identical model, which means you won't be getting your saved data back).

*Btw, endless electronic's reball service is 80 dollars, and comes with a two year warranty. They also have the lifetime warranty bundle (clean out your ps3 for you, replace the thermal pads, and warranty that will last you years just incase it does manage to screw up down the road).
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#8ymdasePosted 9/1/2012 9:07:25 AM
PS3 slim
#9ISeeDeadPetzPosted 9/1/2012 9:34:15 AM
MadDewg posted...
Repair it via gophermods or endless electronics with the reball service and get your thermal pads replaced. Sony doesn't repair ****, btw (just replace yours with an identical model, which means you won't be getting your saved data back).

*Btw, endless electronic's reball service is 80 dollars, and comes with a two year warranty. They also have the lifetime warranty bundle (clean out your ps3 for you, replace the thermal pads, and warranty that will last you years just incase it does manage to screw up down the road).

Wow only $80 for repair? I bought a slim but I still have the old 60 model. Now I'm attempted to send it for repairs.
#10Lunitik56(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2012 9:39:03 AM
I dont know if i can trust a random repair shop
---
PSN: Lt_Dan87
"When I sit at a table and I need to bet 3 or 4 hundred thousand in a hand, and Im bluffing, I just dont care." - Phil Ivey