This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom: "Resident Evil is supposed to be like Call of Duty, not survival horror"

#151ShineboxerPosted 10/3/2012 3:00:42 PM
EternalWolf posted...
Also, look at all the big name franchises that have "died" this gen.They are almost all made by developers who havent worked on the previous titles. Developers who were given a engine and were told by people publishers and executives how to make the game. They are listening to people who didnt make the previous games, people who dont care about making good games.

Look at the developers who actually made the original games. They go on to form their own company and they have success. Platinum Games and Retro Studios literally got a hold of the Metal Gear franchise, Metroid and Donkey Kong franchises not long after they were formed. The good developers from a company leave because they no longer are allowed to create their own games, they cant use the engines they created for their own games. They are forced to do something they dont want to do, so they start over from scratch and make better games then the people who once told them what to do can.

These companies arent hiring good developers, they are hiring "soldiers". People who know how to work with an engine and will do as told. Then they get fired. They dont pay them a lot, they just hire a lot of people to get the games out of the door quickly. Its so bad for game design and often times you get games that need to be patched after release as well as engines that arent running anywhere near as well as they should.

Look at Call of Duty. Get a new game every year and each new game is literally nothing more than a expansion pack or mod. Things that used to be $20 or free are now full retail price. The engine is already done, all the hard work was finished 5 games ago and now they just add in some textures and models. Look at Madden, it took them how many years to add in the physics of Madden 13? That could have been done back in 2004. Each new game has almost no new content. Same models, textures, environments etc... Its nothing more than small update that somehow takes a year to make instead of a month or two. The stuff they add to these games isnt hard work, it doesnt take more than a one or two people to do this stuff in a short period time and yet they arent capable of doing it. The stuff they add in should be added in via patches, thats how stuff used to get done.

For a game with an established, popular IP it only needs two three to sell. The game has to be playable, near the same length as previous entres and the game has to look as good or better than the last. That is literally it. It could be a completely horrible game, get horrible reviews and the game would still sell off of name alone. It can completely change the gameplay for the worse and it would still sell.

Capcoms goal with Resident Evil 6 shouldnt be to make a game that will sell. If thats their goal they should be fired. THE GAME WILL SELL NO MATTER WHAT, THAT IS LITERALLY NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL. The goal of Resident Evil 6 is to make sure Resident Evil 7 will sell, and for Resident Evil 7 to sell Resident Evil 6 has to impress people. The game is not impressive, at all. Survival Horror or not, its a low budget quality bragain bin title. Except its not a low budget title, it had a big budget. There is no reason for it not to be one of the best looking gamed on consoles with some of the best gameplay in the genre. Resident Evil 2 expanded upon RE greatly, Code Veronica brought it into 3d and expanded on two, Resident Evil 3 was a side game(development wise), Resident Evil 0 and REmake "perfected" the gameplay to that point and had amazing graphics, Resident Evil 4 created a genre of gameplay like Resident Evil did and had amazing graphics, Resident Evil 5 expanded on that gameplay, what the f*** did Resident Evil 6 do?

Don't bother, it's not worth reading. You'll want your 30 seconds back, I know I do.
#152GuardianShadow0Posted 10/3/2012 3:14:10 PM
That worries me. More and more developers are going the CoD route this gen and completely changing series. Change is good and bad and people will have differing opinions on whether something is good or bad, but I do hate seeing a series I enjoy get overhauled just to make more money. I understand that businesses are going to do that, but I don't have to like it, which is why I don't buy their games.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29iOPSxF94&feature=fvw
#153Jinzo 111887Posted 10/3/2012 7:41:24 PM
GuardianShadow0 posted...
That worries me. More and more developers are going the CoD route this gen and completely changing series. Change is good and bad and people will have differing opinions on whether something is good or bad, but I do hate seeing a series I enjoy get overhauled just to make more money. I understand that businesses are going to do that, but I don't have to like it, which is why I don't buy their games.

I wonder why they chose Resident Evil to turn into CoD and not just make another create one as a new Mega Man series.

Anyway, I don't think Sega's going to try to make Sonic into CoD. Especially after the results of giving Shadow a gun.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z