This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Resident Evil would be dead without RE4.

#31RayconPosted 10/3/2012 11:00:48 AM
CronoDyne posted...
For the love of all that's good and holy, RE4 did not change the series. It was still the same survival horror experience we had with RE1-3.

We seem to have different definitions of "survival-horror."
---
Which comes as no surprise.
#32FiendingHardPosted 10/3/2012 11:01:41 AM
RE4 still had atmosphere and horror.

Yes it was heavy on the action but it was still extremely atmospheric.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Borderlands 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Final Fantasy 6
#33IChangedMyNamePosted 10/3/2012 11:03:11 AM
FiendingHard posted...

Not denying the horror, and completely agree with the atmosphere.

But it's action-horror, not survival-horror.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#34FiendingHardPosted 10/3/2012 11:06:02 AM
IChangedMyName posted...
FiendingHard posted...

Not denying the horror, and completely agree with the atmosphere.

But it's action-horror, not survival-horror.

No question about it. Perhaps the only parts of the game I remember being survival-horror is the village blitz at the beginning and maybe the fight with the right-hand.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Borderlands 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Final Fantasy 6
#35IChangedMyNamePosted 10/3/2012 11:09:13 AM
FiendingHard posted...
No question about it. Perhaps the only parts of the game I remember being survival-horror is the village blitz at the beginning and maybe the fight with the right-hand.

That first village area is intense man, definitely can seem like survival because unless your program to know what to do.... the Knife quickly becomes your friend.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#36Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 11:17:12 AM
So...the franchise turning from survival horror to full blown action, very little puzzles, and going entirely away at what made the franchise good in the first place was a good thing?

But the same stuff you mentioned is what was killing the series. I change was needed.

RE wasn't getting stale. Having the sequel (CV) be Dreamcast exclusive and then two REmakes and 4 be GameCube exclusive was the downfall. RE came back when it returned to PlayStation with the RE4 port. You don't know what you're talking about, TC. It was series mismanagement to kick off upstart consoles.

Yes it was getting stale. You're in denial if you think otherwise. Name one huge improvement in the gameplay after RE3. Why were the sales dropping? Why was Capcom threaten the creator to change the series then? I don't think you can. Also, RECV was ported to the PS2 a year later and still only sold 1.4 million. It has nothing to do with what system it was on. The games themselves were getting stale.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#37Chr0noidPosted 10/3/2012 11:58:59 AM
Vegeta, what's the scanner say on your idiocy level?

It's over 9000!
---
We are so dead...but at least I have a girlfriend! -Lion-O
#38agrissaPosted 10/3/2012 12:18:09 PM
CronoDyne posted...
For the love of all that's good and holy, RE4 did not change the series. It was still the same survival horror experience we had with RE1-3.

This. RE4 still felt very much like a RE game. RE5, less so, but there is actually a still slight resemblance to past REs. RE6? LOL it should be called Call of Evil: Casual Edition.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#39TheArcadePosted 10/3/2012 12:21:34 PM
Code Veronica

That is all.
---
Phantom Miria, Rippling Ophelia, Teresa of the Faint Smile, Windcutter Flora, God-Eye Galatea
#40majin nemesisPosted 10/3/2012 12:34:55 PM
CronoDyne posted...

yes it did RE4 didn't felt like a survival horror and it wasn't a survival horror, the enemies drop ammo and you can buy new weapons and upgrade them so RE4 was a TPS with some survival horror elements an action horror and the start of the fall of RE but it was still a good game it just didn't completely felt like a RE
---
With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting
ways to kill a man-Balthier FFXII