This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What game series pleasantly surprised you the most this gen?

#1JahkeemyorkPosted 10/3/2012 5:15:07 PM
For me it's Valkyria Chronicles, I was never the type of guy to enjoy an SRPG, I've tried before, in the PS1 era, and in the PS2 era and I just couldn't do it. But Valkyria Chronicles oh man, did that game brought my love for it.
#2zyrax2301Posted 10/3/2012 5:17:19 PM
Metal Gear Solid

I thought it was over and them BAM
GROUND ZEROES!!

Thank the lawd for MGS
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3LiquidAntagonisPosted 10/3/2012 5:17:59 PM
Jahkeemyork posted...
For me it's Valkyria Chronicles, I was never the type of guy to enjoy an SRPG

I had no idea that Syria made RPGs...er...that aren't launched at some sort of convoy.

As for me, I can't say that any games really surprised me. I always do a bit of research on a title before I decide to invest, so I have some clue about what I'm getting myself into beforehand. I don't like surprises.
---
>provides users with the ability to dispute a "moderation"
>list of reasons why every argument is "refutable" =_=
#4RioichiCooperPosted 10/3/2012 5:20:46 PM
Mass Effect. I picked them up on a whim after hearing that they were good. They have since become my favorite series.
---
Proud supporter of Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarantino.
Mass Effect. Is. An. RPG.
#5undeadeathPosted 10/3/2012 5:22:29 PM
Either Bionic Commando or Alone in the Dark (Inferno), I bought both for the lulz and they ended up being extremely fun and some of my favorite action games for this gen.
---
Check out my friend's gaming blog! - http://gameternity.wordpress.com/
#6TheTrueNubPosted 10/3/2012 5:22:29 PM
Yakuza 3.

I had never played one until it came out and I decided to give a try.

Dayum. I became an instant fan of the series.

I'd throw Nier in as well, I wasn't expecting much and picked it up for $20 new. That title is very underrated.
#7RainbowsaurusPosted 10/3/2012 5:23:49 PM
Uncharted. I heard it was good and found all 3 games for cheap at a pawn shop. Iffy at first, but then I really got into it. Towards the end of the first, can't wait to get into 2 and 3.
---
~Nathan Drake is love~
PSN:Rain_Bow_saurus|XBL:(Coming Soon)|Wii/DS/3DS FC:Message me :D
#8Evel138Posted 10/3/2012 5:29:25 PM
Red Dead Redemption. Its R*, so I knew it was going to be good......but not that good as near perfection as any game has come IMHO. Easily rivaling respectable cinema IMHO.

Mass Effect (trilogy). I've never been as emotionally invested in fictional character as much as ME......and I'm a child of the 70's that experienced Star Wars original theatrical run (not to mention a life long Tolkien/high fantasy geek). I genuinely cared about Commander Shepard and his companions.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=evel138#/d5g9oo0
#9Godstriker8Posted 10/3/2012 5:30:33 PM
Red dead.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#10NCPwnPosted 10/3/2012 5:34:28 PM
Costume Quest.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst