This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony supports gay rights

#51Grandy12Posted 10/4/2012 1:39:47 PM
Nth posted...
•God takes away Adam and Eve's eternal life, thus commiting the first murder, and holds their descendants responsible and visiting Adam and Eve's punishment down on their children. In today's moral standards, the sins of the father die with the father.

God is above the laws of man. He is God. Besides God didn't take away their eternal life; he went "yo dude don't eat from this tree or you will be PUNISHED" and eve was like "pshyea right". The idea is that Eve and Adam disobeyed God, which is by all accounts a force of nature, and in such were the ones who caused their own demise.

I read all your other examples, and yes, God is a massive jerk, especially in the Old Testament, I'm just saying that saying God "murders" someone is like saying a hurricane murders things in it's path; it is giving human reasoning to something that does not reason like a human.
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#52NthPosted 10/4/2012 1:42:29 PM
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...
•God takes away Adam and Eve's eternal life, thus commiting the first murder, and holds their descendants responsible and visiting Adam and Eve's punishment down on their children. In today's moral standards, the sins of the father die with the father.

God is above the laws of man. He is God. Besides God didn't take away their eternal life; he went "yo dude don't eat from this tree or you will be PUNISHED" and eve was like "pshyea right". The idea is that Eve and Adam disobeyed God, which is by all accounts a force of nature, and in such were the ones who caused their own demise.

I read all your other examples, and yes, God is a massive jerk, especially in the Old Testament, I'm just saying that saying God "murders" someone is like saying a hurricane murders things in it's path; it is giving human reasoning to something that does not reason like a human.

But god supposedly loves humans which is a human emotion which hurricanes don't possess. So it must just be his version of 'tough love' right?
---
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sexual position." - Bill Maher
#53Grandy12Posted 10/4/2012 1:45:48 PM
Nth posted...
But god supposedly loves humans which is a human emotion which hurricanes don't possess. So it must just be his version of 'tough love' right?

Love may not be a human emotion. I mean, wild animals love their offspring, as well.

And that is still trying to see stuff with human reasoning. "He loves us, therefore, if he thinks like a human, he wouldn't hurt us"

Problem is, he may not think like a human at all.
---
#54NthPosted 10/4/2012 1:50:00 PM
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...

Love may not be a human emotion. I mean, wild animals love their offspring, as well.

And that is still trying to see stuff with human reasoning. "He loves us, therefore, if he thinks like a human, he wouldn't hurt us"

Got it. We have the ability to interact with god at about the same level cockroaches can interact with humans and natural disasters are like gods exterminators for when we become inconvenient or get in the way.
---
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sexual position." - Bill Maher
#55R15KPosted 10/4/2012 1:59:29 PM
Ah yes, the religion topic on a video game board. That always goes well...
#56Grandy12Posted 10/4/2012 2:00:41 PM
Nth posted...
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...

Got it. We have the ability to interact with god at about the same level cockroaches can interact with humans and natural disasters are like gods exterminators for when we become inconvenient or get in the way.

Well, that still has a hint of human reasoning; God "exterminates us" because "we get in His way"; that is giving a reason similar to why a human would exterminate cockroaches.

I believe it is impossible to come up with an example or analogy on God, because anything we come up with would be limited by our understanding of the world as humans. That is, any example we make will invariably be tainted with "humanity".
---
#57DiayamondoPosted 10/4/2012 2:02:05 PM
R15K posted...
Ah yes, the religion topic on a video game board. That always goes well...

This. Might as well get the popcorn now.

- sits in a lawn chair -
#58ZHolyMadmanPosted 10/4/2012 2:02:43 PM
Okay, I'm back. Bad time of day for this, but here I go anyway.

DrEaM_420 posted...
Oh ok, lets go with New Testament...I guess we are following those laws now right the old book doesn't mean anything because the new one was written by a guy who never knew Jesus...which makes it more credible.

*Sigh* The New Testament actually has 9 different human authors. And as for Paul never knowing Jesus, read Acts 9:1-19.

"...the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. "(1 Corinthians 14:34-35)

So tell your mom to shut up when we are in church...its the damn LAW

So? you can quote scripture, but you still don't know what it means.
When taken in context with the rest of the "section", Paul is discussing primarily the disruption of worship by women who became involved in noisy discussions surrounding speaking in tongues and prophecy, and tells them (under The Holy Spirit's authority) to save it for home. Go back a few chapters to 11:5a and you see that not only did women pray and prophesy openly in worship, but it was permitted. Next?

"Slaves, be obedient to those who are your earthly masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as to Christ ...(Ephesians 6:5)"

Thats right slaves, be obedient to your master...TREMBLE!!!

Slaves in this sense aren't the kind you're thinking of. They were actually "indentured servants", working off a debt or selling themselves like day-laborers outside of Home Depot (not to make light of it), not lifelong whipping posts. In many cases, despite their position as "slaves" they were treated like members of whatever household they were attached to at the time until their debt was gone and they were released from their toil, but it's not unheard of that sometimes they even wanted to stay past that time. I can understand how people would be unfamiliar with the concept, as it's not seen much these days.

"No one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who had been redeemed from the earth. It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are chaste ...Revelation 14:3-4"

Apparently only men go to heaven...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously? Revelation? What, did you get these verses off of some Christianity bashing website that just has random verses they find amusing?
It's not speaking of literal chastity (as nowhere else in Scripture is chastity equated with purity and holiness), but rather it's illustrative of the 144,000 Jewish Evangelist (who aren't necessarily only men, which is another thread unto itself) who resisted - through Christ's strength - resisted the world system of the Beast (or Anti-Christ) and remained "pure".

Are you done reaching or do you have something legitimate to bring to the table?
---
"It's not a logical fallacy, it's postmodern thinking."
"Yeah, the funny thing is, we're BOTH right."
#59TomorrowDogPosted 10/4/2012 2:04:27 PM
This is the Civil Rights movement of our generation, after all; who doesn't want to be on the side of equality when you're talking to your grandkids later?

Except back then everybody wasn't so lamely self-aware and didn't sensationalize it for their own egos.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#60ramseanPosted 10/4/2012 2:05:28 PM
Nth posted...
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...

If there is a god he's been playing an advanced version of spore for millions of years, he's either at the point of killing folks for fun or hes off chilling on one of the other billion planets in the universe and left the computer in charge. I couldn't play the sims for a week without trying to trap/kill them in a fire. Try playing the sims non-stop for a lifetime or a thousand.
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFVII, Journey
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines