This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony supports gay rights

#61NthPosted 10/4/2012 3:07:13 PM
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...
But god supposedly loves humans which is a human emotion which hurricanes don't possess. So it must just be his version of 'tough love' right?

Love may not be a human emotion. I mean, wild animals love their offspring, as well.

And that is still trying to see stuff with human reasoning. "He loves us, therefore, if he thinks like a human, he wouldn't hurt us"

Problem is, he may not think like a human at all.

Got it. We have the ability to interact with god at about the same level cockroaches can interact with humans and natural disasters are like gods exterminators for when we become inconvenient or get in the way.

Well, that still has a hint of human reasoning; God "exterminates us" because "we get in His way"; that is giving a reason similar to why a human would exterminate cockroaches.

I believe it is impossible to come up with an example or analogy on God, because anything we come up with would be limited by our understanding of the world as humans. That is, any example we make will invariably be tainted with "humanity".

Then basically Zeus and Quetzalcoatl are just as likely to be god as any other deity we've seen over history.
---
"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sexual position." - Bill Maher
#62Grandy12Posted 10/4/2012 3:08:36 PM
Nth posted...
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...
Grandy12 posted...
Nth posted...
But god supposedly loves humans which is a human emotion which hurricanes don't possess. So it must just be his version of 'tough love' right?

Love may not be a human emotion. I mean, wild animals love their offspring, as well.

And that is still trying to see stuff with human reasoning. "He loves us, therefore, if he thinks like a human, he wouldn't hurt us"

Problem is, he may not think like a human at all.

Got it. We have the ability to interact with god at about the same level cockroaches can interact with humans and natural disasters are like gods exterminators for when we become inconvenient or get in the way.

Well, that still has a hint of human reasoning; God "exterminates us" because "we get in His way"; that is giving a reason similar to why a human would exterminate cockroaches.

I believe it is impossible to come up with an example or analogy on God, because anything we come up with would be limited by our understanding of the world as humans. That is, any example we make will invariably be tainted with "humanity".

Then basically Zeus and Quetzalcoatl are just as likely to be god as any other deity we've seen over history.

Sure, why not?

I am agnostic. I believe that we may never know for sure.
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#63ZHolyMadmanPosted 10/4/2012 3:11:22 PM
Nth posted...
ZHolyMadman posted...
Nth posted...
riddlebox89 posted...
ramsean posted...
Equal rights are fine as long as you're not forcing churchs to marry gay couples. It says pretty clearly in the bible that god is against gays.

Thou shalt not kill.

People in bible sacrifice animals, which requires killing them.

The bible is full of wtf moments, it's fun to read while intoxicated.

Actually Thou Shalt Not Kill was only part of the transcription. The scriptures actually stipulated 'Thou Shall Not Kill from ones own tribe.' The bible is actually pretty cool with killing anyone outside of your family and immediate community.

Actually, the most accurate translation from the original Hebrew is "Murder", not "Kill".
It means not intentionally taking the life of another human being outside of the express will of God.
Animals are no part of the commandment, as they were separately commanded to be used for food and sacrifice.
Come correct next time.

•God takes away Adam and Eve's eternal life, thus commiting the first murder, and holds their descendants responsible and visiting Adam and Eve's punishment down on their children. In today's moral standards, the sins of the father die with the father.
•God destroys all life on Earth in a great flood, except for a drunk (Noah) and his family, for failing to worship him.
•God's tenth plague upon the Israelites was the unjustified murder of all firstborn sons in Egypt, which undoubtedly included little children.
•Before sending the plagues to Egypt, God "hardened Pharaoh's heart" so that he wouldn't let the Israelites go, so he could have an excuse to visit horrible plagues upon them, like boils, killing cattle and murdering all firstborn sons. (Exodus 4:21)
•God orders the Levites to kill their "every man and his neighnor" for worshipping another god. This cost 3000 lives. (Exodus 32:27)
•God sends a plague to the Israelites, apparently feeling that mass-butchery wasn't enough of a punishment. (Exodus 32:35)
•God kills Onan for refusing to impregnate his late brother's (whom God also slew) wife and instead "spilling his seed on the ground." (Genesis 38:8-10)
•God kills the entire populations of Soddom and Gammorah (again, including women, children and infants) for practicing certain sexual techniques.
•God gives all Philistines hemorrhoids in their pubic areas. (1 Samuel 5:9)
•God kills over 50,000 people for looking at an ark. (1 Samuel 6:19)
•God kills 70,000 people because King David decided to have a census. (1 Chronicles 21:7-14)
•God approves of slavery, and instructs owners to beat their slaves. (Proverbs 29:19)
•And, finally, God makes sure that if you are guilty of even the smallest transgression, you shall suffer endlessly for all eternity, following a dramatic homecoming for Jesus, who will be extremely pissed off at everyone for putting him to death, even though it was just the Romans and even though he knew what was going to happen beforehand, and he could have easily avoided it by using his power as God to perform a miracle and prove who he was. (See the entire book of Revelation)

So at least we do agree that god is pretty cool with murder.

GOD IS GOD. Eternal Creator of all. Him taking back a life He created - or all of creation, for that matter - is NOT the same thing as a created being taking another created beings life. Ridiculous...
---
"It's not a logical fallacy, it's postmodern thinking."
"Yeah, the funny thing is, we're BOTH right."
#64NthPosted 10/4/2012 3:11:51 PM
Sure, why not?

While I am an atheist, I can at least respect the admittance of uncertainty over an definitive, unquestioning, absolute. Good show.
---
#65DrEaM_420Posted 10/4/2012 3:12:40 PM
The older I get, the more hilarious religion and the people who follow it become.

Its also funny all this magical stuff used to happen, but now nothing happens ever...and priests touch little boys.

If priests touch little boys, knowing what their God can do to them...don't you think something is a little off?
---
:)
#66SoaringDivePosted 10/4/2012 3:13:36 PM
May Zeus smite all you non-believers.
---
Level up your life, every single day.
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#67ZHolyMadmanPosted 10/4/2012 3:14:02 PM
Grandy12 posted...
Come on, with so many contradictory passages the holy book has...

Examples?
---
"It's not a logical fallacy, it's postmodern thinking."
"Yeah, the funny thing is, we're BOTH right."
#68NthPosted 10/4/2012 3:14:17 PM
GOD IS GOD. Eternal Creator of all. Him taking back a life He created - or all of creation, for that matter - is NOT the same thing as a created being taking another created beings life. Ridiculous...

You'd fit in quite well in North Korea.
---
#69Grandy12Posted 10/4/2012 3:19:30 PM
ZHolyMadman posted...
Grandy12 posted...
Come on, with so many contradictory passages the holy book has...

Examples?

I am not about to start a religious discussion with someone called "ZHolyMadman".
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#70ramseanPosted 10/4/2012 3:24:02 PM
Nth posted...
Sure, why not?

While I am an atheist, I can at least respect the admittance of uncertainty over an definitive, unquestioning, absolute. Good show.

Isn't saying you're agnostic a bit redundant, only complete headcases and liars claim to know definitively what happens. All belief is, is a guess based on the info at hand. When some one asks you what you guess/believe happens after you die, saying 'i dunno' seems a bit unimaginative.
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFVII, Journey
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines