This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 will get 3 MAIN Final Fantasy games right?..... RIGHT???

#11toadiemanPosted 10/4/2012 12:56:04 PM
il_capitano posted...
You can't count FFXI as a main Final Fantasy, so PS2 got 2.

Ohh, no you di'int.
---
PSN: toadieman
#12Dave4202Posted 10/4/2012 1:02:42 PM
il_capitano posted...
You can't count FFXI as a main Final Fantasy, so PS2 got 2.

Why can't you? Just because some people didn't like XI doesn't make it any less of a main entry....
#13GradyHooverPosted 10/4/2012 1:04:21 PM
It's really hard to count a game as a "main entry" in the series when it has no ending. Even the storyline is muddied by the MMO structure.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#14Spiroth_KweehhPosted 10/4/2012 1:11:07 PM
1) Final Fantasy I-XIV are Main Final Fantasy games.

2) Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy Type-0, and Final Fantasy Dimensions are Main Final Fantasy games, despite having no progressive numbering
(exactly like Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker).

3) Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Final Fantasy V : The Legend of The Crystals, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy XI : Wings of the Goddess, Dissidia 012 : Final Fantasy, Before Crisis : Final Fantasy VII, etc, are sequels/prequels.

4) Final Fantasy : The 4 Heroes of Light, Theatrythm Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, etc, are Spinoffs.
(Like Metal Gear ACiD).
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#15docholliday504Posted 10/4/2012 1:14:39 PM
Mwulf posted...
Does it matter? SE has proven time and time again that the only time they can make anything decent out of their existing franchises (FF, DQ) is when they're re-making older games.

?? Which remake was good? All the ones I played on DS were terrible.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Uncharted 3, Madden 2013.
#16GrabacrLeaderPosted 10/4/2012 1:37:29 PM(edited)
GradyHoover posted...
It's really hard to count a game as a "main entry" in the series when it has no ending. Even the storyline is muddied by the MMO structure.

I'm pretty sure I finished original FF11 by killing final boss in his dark castle hidden in the frozen north.
#17GradyHooverPosted 10/4/2012 1:38:39 PM
GrabacrLeader posted...

I'm pretty sure I finished original FF11 by killing final boss in his dark castle hidden in the frozen north.

I stand corrected, then. I guess I'm a silly rabbit.

Even so... it's got a number on it. Of course it has to be counted on some level.

1) Final Fantasy I-XIV are Main Final Fantasy games.

2) Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy Type-0, and Final Fantasy Dimensions are Main Final Fantasy games, despite having no progressive numbering
(exactly like Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker).

3) Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Final Fantasy V : The Legend of The Crystals, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy XI : Wings of the Goddess, Dissidia 012 : Final Fantasy, Before Crisis : Final Fantasy VII, etc, are sequels/prequels.

4) Final Fantasy : The 4 Heroes of Light, Theatrythm Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, etc, are Spinoffs.
(Like Metal Gear ACiD).
---

I rather like this guide and find it fairly accurate. Although who knows if Versus XIII will be all that "main" anyway. And what's Dimensions?
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#18Spiroth_KweehhPosted 10/4/2012 1:57:42 PM(edited)
^ Final Fantasy Dimensions is the first Final Fantasy game in over 20 years (since 1992 and Final Fantasy V) that uses the original "Crystal Mythos" (Final Fantasy I-V) as its concept, and also uses the "Final Fantasy I-V" Artstyle.

Gameplay-wise and mechanics-wise, it's a perfect blend of Final Fantasy I-V, and the same is true about its story, plot points and character development.

All in all, it would be the ideal Final Fantasy VI if Square followed the same road, and hadn't "changed" Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy VI back then.
(Not putting Final Fantasy VI down, it's a masterpiece).

It's a perfect blend of Final Fantasy I-V.
It uses an enhanced version of Final Fantasy V's Job System.
It got released 2 years ago in Japan for Cellphones as "Final Fantasy Legends : Warriors of Light and Darkness", and it was remade for iOS and Android, and released 2 months ago as Final Fantasy Dimensions.

I firmly believe it will get the Final Fantasy Anniversary, Final Fantasy II Anniversary, and Final Fantasy IV COMPLETE COLLECTION, and be released for VITA/PSP.

It's the perfect classic Final Fantasy, gathering the best aspects of the games comprising the original "Crystal Mythos", being better than I/III/V in the customization area, and better than II/IV (and even VI imo) in the story + character development area.

The only downside imo is the rather small track roster, featuring the small number (but of awesome quality) of 20-something tracks.

As for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, it is definitely a Main Final Fantasy game.

---
#19chrombotPosted 10/4/2012 1:56:57 PM
GrabacrLeader posted...
GradyHoover posted...

Then you never did rise of zilart?
#20Spiroth_KweehhPosted 10/4/2012 2:00:12 PM
chrombot posted...
GrabacrLeader posted...
GradyHoover posted...

Then you never did rise of zilart?

The expansions are sequels.
Don't be clouded by Final Fantasy XI's update based MMO format.

RoZ (& other expansions) in Final Fantasy XI, is like Final Fantasy IV : The After Years in Final Fantasy IV : COMPLETE COLLECTION.
---