This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Study confirms most gamers are sheep: Review averages directly influence sales.

#21wstfldPosted 10/5/2012 12:16:44 PM
Is it so far-fetched that the best games receive the best reviews, which in turn earns them the best sales?
---
Last Played: Batman Arkham City (9.5/10)
Now Playing: Counter-Strike GO, NCAA Football 2013, FIFA 13
#22GradyHoover(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 12:17:52 PM
wstfld posted...
Is it so far-fetched that the best games receive the best reviews, which in turn earns them the best sales?

"Best games" = matter of individual opinion
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#23regsantotomasPosted 10/5/2012 12:18:23 PM
Highly regarded games sell better?

Breaking news!

It has nothing to do with being sheep. There are just some games where people generally enjoy it and the scores simply reflect that. It isn't necessarily a cause and effect in as much as it is a correlation.

Sure, higher scores can and do promote better sales; what is exactly wrong with that?

Are people more enlightened if they pick a game with a mediocre score?
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#24TerotrousPosted 10/5/2012 12:21:48 PM(edited)
wstfld posted...

It becomes far-fetched when you look at the mile-long list of counterexamples.

regsantotomas posted...
Are people more enlightened if they pick a game with a mediocre score?

If it's a good game? Then yes, they clearly are. They were able to spot a good game where most people weren't.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES F1 ROC 2 Race of Champions"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#25ramseanPosted 10/5/2012 12:20:49 PM
GradyHoover posted...
wstfld posted...

"Best games" = matter of individual opinion

Yes and that's what reviews are, a series of individual opinions. Sometimes people agree that something sucks or doesn't suck. If 30,000 people like something and 2 people don't chances are it can't be too awful
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFVII, Journey
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines
#26TerotrousPosted 10/5/2012 12:24:05 PM
ramsean posted...
Yes and that's what reviews are, a series of individual opinions.

And there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is they're a series of individual opinions from a very narrow group of people who all suffer from a prominent conflict of interest because the people they're grading are also the ones who sign their paychecks.

If you must use a score to tell you whether or not something is good or bad, please, at least use the GF Ratings average. Here you've got the views of thousands of people, most of whom have no vested interest in what score they give.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES F1 ROC 2 Race of Champions"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#27ramseanPosted 10/5/2012 12:24:09 PM
Terotrous posted...
wstfld posted...

It becomes far-fetched when you look at the mile-long list of counterexamples.

The mile long list of counter examples you speak of really aren't that strong. Name one game that has a metacritic score of over 90 that is genuinely bad. Not "oh I thought the ending could be better" or "they could have done this better" but out and out bad.
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFVII, Journey
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines
#28Kazuya_80Posted 10/5/2012 12:24:59 PM
You should read the reason why a game gets a low score, because you might not agree or the reviewer might be exagerating the flaws
#29Erupt50Posted 10/5/2012 12:26:33 PM
No way. You telling me people are more likely to buy games with high scores as opposed to games with low scores? He's my shocked face.........well you can't see me,but trust me, I look shocked.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#30RetroFanGirlPosted 10/5/2012 12:27:00 PM
wstfld posted...
So people buy the best games? Is this a new thing or something?

And you basically just backed up TC's point.
---
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj34PPN6RHY