This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Study confirms most gamers are sheep: Review averages directly influence sales.

#41ramseanPosted 10/5/2012 1:44:12 PM(edited)
Terotrous posted...
ramsean posted...
Those examples are all great games, TWEWY and Skyward Sword especially, so again I ask wheres your bad game that scores a 90+ on metacritic

That's trying to oversimplify the issue to make a point where there isn't one. The reason people dislike metacritic isn't because they give bad games high ratings, it's because they give high ratings to average games from big studios and lower ratings to better games from smaller studios. Anyone can identify a game that is total garbage, you don't need metacritic's help for that.

If that were the case wouldn't xenoblade have a lower score than FFXIII, as lets face it nintendo spent about 2 pence marketing that. Or a better example wouldn't megaman 9 have a higher score than cave story. Or another example wouldn't sonic the hedgehog 4 episode 1 have a higher score than super meat boy. Wouldn't metroid other m have a higher score than no more heroes.
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFVII, Journey
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines
#42CrimsonGear80Posted 10/5/2012 1:47:07 PM
People need to grow up and realize people have their own preferences and measure by which they make their purchasing decisions.

And that's fine, It's just that basing those decisions off of numbers at the end of a review written by someone who is probably an egotistic maniac (Jim Sterling) or flat-out stupid (all of IGN, um...Jim Sterling) isn't the smartest thing to do.

i honestly haven't read a decent professional review for a video game anywhere since 2005. It's all about getting them out so the publishers have some quotes to put on the back of their game boxes, or to bash a game to get shock hits.
---
The song is called "Baba O' Riley", NOT "Teenage Wasteland".
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#43agrissaPosted 10/5/2012 1:47:55 PM
I thought this was common knowledge.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#44ramseanPosted 10/5/2012 1:48:44 PM
CrimsonGear80 posted...
People need to grow up and realize people have their own preferences and measure by which they make their purchasing decisions.

And that's fine, It's just that basing those decisions off of numbers at the end of a review written by someone who is probably an egotistic maniac (Jim Sterling) or flat-out stupid (all of IGN, um...Jim Sterling) isn't the smartest thing to do.

i honestly haven't read a decent professional review for a video game anywhere since 2005. It's all about getting them out so the publishers have some quotes to put on the back of their game boxes, or to bash a game to get shock hits.

Cubed3 are generally quite good for nintendo games, haven't watched recently but gametrailers are usually quite fair.
---
#45rofflchopperPosted 10/5/2012 1:52:02 PM
Terotrous posted...
ramsean posted...
Movies too, its like people want to watch/play/listen to things of a high quality and not get stuck with an epic mickey or cursed mountain. Weird something must be done about this

Just like how everyone wants to get Grand Theft Auto 4 and not Saints Row the Third?

(Millions of other examples are possible)

The critics tell me that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is one of the best games this generation. Better than BioShock, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3 and Uncharted 3.

Thank god we all listened to THAT.

So, uh, I should play Guitar Hero: Metallica but skip inFamous 2, right? I mean, GH: Metallica got WAY better review scores.

Most reviewers don't say CoD is better than any of those games. All they are saying is CoD does what it does well. Your logic is flawed in the fact that the same millions of people buy the game every year. Common sense would tell you that if the game were truly as bad as people make it out to be, people wouldn't buy it. I have never heard a reviewer say any of the recent CoD's were the best thing ever made. However, a common thing that they do say is it accomplishes it's intended purpose. But the game isn't aimed at the people who knock the game for having the same formula every year. THOSE are the people complaining about it. But the millions of people who buy it yearly are content with what they are receiving.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#46Video_Game_CzarPosted 10/5/2012 1:53:13 PM
Kurizaka posted...
wstfld posted...
So people buy the best games? Is this a new thing or something?

So, they are the "best" games because of a silly score? People who only go by these scores are missing out on a lot of great games.

This.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#47ramseanPosted 10/5/2012 1:56:24 PM
Video_Game_Czar posted...
Kurizaka posted...
wstfld posted...

So, they are the "best" games because of a silly score? People who only go by these scores are missing out on a lot of great games.

This.

except no one in the topic or in the article is saying people should/do buy games based solely on these scores. So congrats you've won and agreed with an argument no one else was involved in.
---
#48KurizakaPosted 10/5/2012 2:04:56 PM
ramsean posted...
Video_Game_Czar posted...
Kurizaka posted...
wstfld posted...

This.

except no one in the topic or in the article is saying people should/do buy games based solely on these scores. So congrats you've won and agreed with an argument no one else was involved in.

Did you not read TC's first post? Some people DO only buy games upon seeing a high score. It's fine to use a review to help make your own decision. I read a few reviews and weigh the pros and cons. It's when you only see a high number and roll with it that's pretty sad. This is because you can miss out on playing a great game because it's score was low.
---
~Girl Gamer~
New account of a long time Gamefaqs user
#49ViietNam1Posted 10/5/2012 2:20:32 PM(edited)
I've read an article that white kids ruined the market for every genre outside of shooters. They blind bash everything which creates a viral reaction that literally sway peoples thoughts on said game. Its also very sheepish & racist for activision/ea fans to use capcom as scapegoat most the time. EA/Activision are inifinitely worse and paving new ways to milk sheeps.
#50NesterJPosted 10/5/2012 2:22:56 PM
Hopefully this means that RE6's review scores will cause it to tank miserably. I'd be delighted if Capcom is forced to bury millions of copies of that piece of garbage in a landfill, ET style.