This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Borderlands 2 not a RPG?

#21fhsfootball74Posted 10/5/2012 6:10:05 PM
As someone said Borderlands is basically the first person shooter version of Diablo. If Borderlands 2 was exclusively magic/swords but still the exact same game NO ONE would dispute it being an RPG.
---
In SMod we trust.
#22jammiesPosted 10/5/2012 6:37:24 PM
fhsfootball74 posted...
As someone said Borderlands is basically the first person shooter version of Diablo. If Borderlands 2 was exclusively magic/swords but still the exact same game NO ONE would dispute it being an RPG.

Exactly. They'd call it Elder Scrolls.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#23Baha05Posted 10/5/2012 6:39:02 PM
jammies posted...

Which then the same people would ***** that it's not a JRPG.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#24fhsfootball74Posted 10/5/2012 6:40:21 PM
jammies posted...
fhsfootball74 posted...

My point exactly no one disputes the Elder Scrolls being an RPG. Makes me wonder what people on this board consider Fallout 3/NV?
---
In SMod we trust.
#25Marnex15Posted 10/5/2012 6:44:55 PM
dementedlullaby posted...
RPG elements=/=RPG

If it has multiple or all of the core elements that define an RPG, then it's an RPG. Loot, stats, leveling system, XP, skill trees, side-quests, etc. All elements that when most are combined define an RPG. All elements that Borderlands clearly has.

You can't just change the rules because it's an FPS. A change in perspective and weapons doesn't nullify all of the traditional core elements that has defined the damn genre since its inception.
---
Official Lord of the Wiinet of LoZ: Skyward Sword | www.zeldawtwii.proboards.com
#26FenderMasterPosted 10/5/2012 6:51:23 PM
RPG

Role Playing Game

Most JRPG's don't involve alot of role playing, they're just interactive movies with hack and slash/turn based menu driven combat.

Gsmes that alllow you to make decisions that affect the outcome of the world are RPG's, see Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, Fable etc.

People have weird ideas about how RPG's are about leveling up, stats, turn based menu driven combat etc. They're not. They're about Role Playing.
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones
#27Baha05Posted 10/5/2012 6:56:09 PM
FenderMaster posted...
RPG

Role Playing Game

Most JRPG's don't involve alot of role playing, they're just interactive movies with hack and slash/turn based menu driven combat.

Gsmes that alllow you to make decisions that affect the outcome of the world are RPG's, see Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, Fable etc.

People have weird ideas about how RPG's are about leveling up, stats, turn based menu driven combat etc. They're not. They're about Role Playing.

No that's really kind of wrong, most RPGs are based around certain settings, certain gameplay mechanics and how one brings them together.

Hence why even though it has a "Leveling" system CoD and others with Ranks is because they are really not needed to beat things, you can beat high ranking people with low levels.

RPGs you might be able to do in some but this is a really rare and I don't even think you can do it with most if not any JRPG.

Hell to go by the definition of Role Playing Game all games are an RPG in a sense.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#28shawnmckPosted 10/5/2012 6:57:23 PM
Borderlands 2 is first & foremost an FPS.
Just because it contains elements of an RPG doesn't make it an RPG unless the RPG elements are vast & contain a lot of depth.
The RPG elements in Borderlands is bare-bones, so it can't really be considered an RPG.

Though don't get me wrong, as I love the game & enjoy it a lot more than I did Fallout 3.
But its gameplay is predominately FPS, and so that is what it should be considered.

It would be like wanting to call Rage a "Racing" game, just because there are elements of racing in it.
No, its an FPS with the occasional race thrown in for good measure.
#29Baha05Posted 10/5/2012 7:00:53 PM
shawnmck posted...
Just because it contains elements of an RPG doesn't make it an RPG unless the RPG elements are vast & contain a lot of depth.
The RPG elements in Borderlands is bare-bones, so it can't really be considered an RPG.

Though don't get me wrong, as I love the game & enjoy it a lot more than I did Fallout 3.
But its gameplay is predominately FPS, and so that is what it should be considered.

It would be like wanting to call Rage a "Racing" game, just because there are elements of racing in it.

But when you think about it a lot of classic RPG elements never had much depth to it, it's more a matter of how it's presented. You could remove the leveling tree and loot system, all that and get an FPS, but they exists in the game hence a FPS RPG.
---
#30hockeybub89(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 7:09:04 PM(edited)

So now having every single element of the classic definition of a RPG isn't enough for a game to be a RPG? It has to be "vast" and "deep"? Those aren't even concrete things. I'd love Borderlands no matter what, but saying it isn't a RPG is like saying the duck I mentioned in the OP is actually a chicken with some duck elements because it has everything that makes a duck a duck, but its quack sometimes doesn't sound duck-ish enough.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica