This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Not an economist, but cant understand the logic behind cutting PS2 compatibility

#1SoraSkyLordPosted 10/6/2012 8:41:01 AM
1. People say that it was to cut manufacturing costs... but Tretton said that it wasn't here:

http://kotaku.com/312628/jack-tretton-says-dropping-bc-wasnt-for-cost-measures

Which actually seems to make sense since the Emotion Engine only cost $27 to put into the PS3. So backwards compatibility was barely a factor in the huge $600 price tag.

2. People say that it was to resell you games you already own... but if that's the case, then why can we play our PS1 games on our PS3 even though they have a WAY more extensive selection of PS1 games on the PS Store than they do PS2 games, even if you count HD Collections. PS1 Classics still sell very well since the $7-$10 price tag is very reasonable, just as PS2 classics would since they are still more accessible than used PS2 games are at the moment.

3. Don't you think that Sony has actually lost a lot of money on used console sales, since very many people would rather buy a used PS3 that can play PS2 games than a new console that can't?

4. Wouldn't it make more sense to give consumers the option? Maybe release a premium PS3 that can play PS2 games which costs more than the incumbent PlayStations do for the people that want BC (which would be a lot), and then also provide a non BC cheaper model for the people that don't care.

5. Giving PS3 users the option to play their old games would remove one of the absolute biggest cons of the console which the opposition always throw out as a reason that "the PS3 sucks." I always here rabid 360 fanboys give the BC issue as their biggest reason for hating Sony.

I just don't see how Sony thinks that cutting one of the original PlayStation's biggest positive features (Backwards Compatibility on both PS1 / PS2 / Launch PS3) was at all a good business move. In all honesty, cutting it REALLY irks me because I feel like this would be the best console that I own if I could play my old games on it.

And before someone gives the cliched response, I KNOW that I can play my PS2 games on my PS2, but my PS2 is old and tiresome. I would love to play my PS2 with the PS3s awesome wireless controller and infinite storage space, as well as upscaling. All of these things are unavailable on my old PS2, which I worry about dying.

I hope that Sony allows full BC on the PS4. PS1 and PS2 BC should be no problem since at this point it wouldn't require any hardware to do perfect emulation. I hope that Sony figures out a way to make the PS4 backwards compatible for PS3 games though, but unfortunately I am not getting my hopes up since Sony has ruined the trust that I had in them.
---
Kingdom Hearts=Way Better Then Final Fantasy
#2doraemonllh1989Posted 10/6/2012 8:46:25 AM
this wont end well
---
my opinion is fact.
if you criticize my grammar,you basically admitted that my reasoning and logic is better than yours
#3SoraSkyLord(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 8:48:44 AM
doraemonllh1989 posted...
this wont end well

Why is that? I think I presented a good argument without being condescending or rude. If anyone got that vibe from this thread then please know that it wasn't intended.
---
Kingdom Hearts=Way Better Then Final Fantasy
#4servb0tsPosted 10/6/2012 8:51:54 AM
Sony cut PS2 B/C for more money, Would you buy a PS2 HD version if you already owned the version? Chances are No, unless you want trophies or are a Grasphics Whore.

Sony simply took the easiest route, and removed B/C. than resell Certain PS2 games back to customers. both Mostly Crappy PS2 on PSN and few HD one of the popular one.
---
PSN Qornut. Proud to be a gamer on Nintendo & Sony systems. August 18th 2011 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3.
#5ThamauturgePosted 10/6/2012 8:53:35 AM
servb0ts posted...
Sony cut PS2 B/C for more money, Would you buy a PS2 HD version if you already owned the version? Chances are No, unless you want trophies or are a Grasphics Whore.

Sony simply took the easiest route, and removed B/C. than resell Certain PS2 games back to customers. both Mostly Crappy PS2 on PSN and few HD one of the popular one.

Yes, I would. I am planning on buying the KH Collection and I would be thrilled if other collections were announced of games that I already own. I like the trophies though.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Batman Arkham City, MGS4, Dark Souls, Dynasty Warriors 7
#6superlativeformPosted 10/6/2012 9:12:28 AM
I think even a low drop like that, means a lot of money over how many consoles are manufactured.
---
Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here.
PSN: Contra_Croix
#7hockeybub89Posted 10/6/2012 9:19:36 AM(edited)
Also, the average person does not give two craps about BC. Those of us who do find ways to cope because we are adaptable (or at least should be).

I think it is nothing short of silly for companies to waste time figuring out ways to play old media.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#8zzamaroPosted 10/6/2012 9:21:51 AM
servb0ts posted...

The irony in your logic is that the PS3 can play most PS1 and there are actually a lot of ps1 games in the store.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]
#9GM_Posted 10/6/2012 9:25:06 AM
This is why PC gaming is superior to consoles. I can go back and play games from the 80's if I want thanks to BC and emulation. Can you guys play games from last gen on your PS3? No. But I sure can on my PC.
---
Trolling the Mods since 2009
#10MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 10/6/2012 9:25:28 AM
I agree with pretty much your entire post, TC. They should either have a BC model (even if it means that the system is a whole $27 more expensive!), or actually do something with the pathetic PS2 Classics section of the PS Store (something that isn't a shovelware game every couple of months). But they won't do either of those things, because, basically, they're flapping around with no idea what they're doing.