This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Metal Gear Solid Series vs Final Fantasy Series

#41SoaringDivePosted 10/7/2012 9:14:52 AM
Both have bad storylines. But MGS gets a win for fun factor. Being stealthy is much more fun than picking moves from a menu and waiting your turn.
---
Level up your life, every single day.
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#42CrystalKing5426Posted 10/7/2012 9:37:39 AM
Definitely MGS. apart from VI, I never cared for FF.
---
I come to GameFAQs to be an a-hole and create strife /hate on forum message boards. -GeassMaster
#43theofficefan99Posted 10/7/2012 9:38:06 AM
SoaringDive posted...
Both have bad storylines. But MGS gets a win for fun factor. Being stealthy is much more fun than picking moves from a menu and waiting your turn.

Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, X, Tactics, and Type-0 all say hi for the story.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Ring of Fates, Echoes of Time, Versus XIII, Type-0, XIII/XIII-2, Dirge of Cerberus, Dissidia and Duodecim all say hi for the whole "picking moves from a menu and waiting your turn." Well, XIII/XIII-2 have you picking from a menu but you don't wait. The rest have no menus.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#44CrystalKing5426Posted 10/7/2012 9:39:01 AM
^lol at saying X had a good story.
---
I come to GameFAQs to be an a-hole and create strife /hate on forum message boards. -GeassMaster
#45theofficefan99Posted 10/7/2012 9:41:25 AM
CrystalKing5426 posted...

It does. Please tell me what your issues are in terms of the story, AKA legitimate reasons as to why the story is "bad."
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#46theshovellerPosted 10/7/2012 9:47:29 AM
Metal Gear games in general were amazing with a few exceptions - couldn't get into the gameplay of the two Acid games, and I never really gave Portable Ops a decent shot but aside from potential control issues, it was basically Metal Gear Solid on the go, which was good in my book.

Final Fantasy... there's ones I still like, but for the most part they just don't do it for me anymore. I like 13 well enough, but it's probably the high sci-fi elements in it combined with the linearity (I rarely have the time for very open-ended games nowadays.) I typically prefer any Phantasy Star game over Final Fantasy, though, just because of the sci-fi aspects.
#47MGS4SNAKEPosted 10/7/2012 10:11:28 AM
What do you think? (Batman's voice)
---
MGS:GZ, MGR:R, 007-L, TLoU, TOMB:R, Watch Dogs, RE6:GE, ACIII, GOW:A, FFvXIII, Shenmue III.
#48DemiFistPosted 10/7/2012 10:26:25 AM
theofficefan99 posted...

It does. Please tell me what your issues are in terms of the story, AKA legitimate reasons as to why the story is "bad."

... And what are your legitimate reasons that its good? Cuz I too thought X was crap, Story and characters.

But anyways back on topic.
I'd definitely have to go with Metal Gear. The series is always awesome.
Over the years I have kinda just stopped caring about Final Fantasy, way better JRPG out there that deserve way more praise than that franchise. I'd rather see a series like Shadow Hearts return this gen or next or even Vagrant Story (which I liked more than Final Fantasy anyways.
Or Suikoden, or Legend of Dragoon.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#49theofficefan99Posted 10/7/2012 11:01:14 AM(edited)
DemiFist posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

... And what are your legitimate reasons that its good? Cuz I too thought X was crap, Story and characters.

But anyways back on topic.
I'd definitely have to go with Metal Gear. The series is always awesome.
Over the years I have kinda just stopped caring about Final Fantasy, way better JRPG out there that deserve way more praise than that franchise. I'd rather see a series like Shadow Hearts return this gen or next or even Vagrant Story (which I liked more than Final Fantasy anyways.
Or Suikoden, or Legend of Dragoon.

Well for one, I love the mythology behind the world of Spira. I thought some of the plot twists were unique. I love the focus on religion, and it teaches a pretty good message. The pilgrimage itself is highly enjoyable; yes, you're acquiring the aid of Aeons, but at the same time, you are witnessing the culture of Spira and you're right there during some big events, such as the Kilika Massacre or Operation Mi'ihen. I also thought Seymour was a great villain.

I thought the relationship between Tidus and Jecht was very unique and their story arc as a whole was great. The cast itself was full of memorable people with quite a bit of backstory and they all have good reasons to be following Yuna, especially Tidus. The most satisfying thing, though, is how the pilgrimage starts off rather tame and personalized, and by the end, you have broken off of the path of the pilgrimage and your adventure is at a grand scale, thanks to the ballsy decision the cast makes when confronted by Yunalesca.

In short, it was well-paced, memorable, and interesting, and the cast itself was great. The only real issue I have with the story is the actual in-game cutscene direction; it's a bit awkward in this day and age. I don't blame it on the game, though; the game had excellent cutscene direction for 2001.

Anyways, I gave my reasons as to why I love it.

And while I disagree about them not continuing FF as it's my favorite series, I also would LOVE for the Shadow Hearts series to return. I made a topic about it on here 2 weeks ago.
---
#50chocolatesodaPosted 10/7/2012 11:03:34 AM
Without the rose-tinted glasses, I have to vote for FF, but MGS is great, too.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI