This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma?

#1SplinterCell764Posted 10/7/2012 6:50:12 AM
Might get both eventually, but wondering which is the better game. I've been looking for a game with many hours of play time, character creation, fun combat, and exploration. These two games seem like the best in that category. Something similar to Skyrim. Which would be the best one to get?
---
This will not change until Rutgers football wins the Big East.
New York Giants: Super Bowl XLVI Champions.
#2true_gamer80Posted 10/7/2012 6:52:37 AM
Kingdoms by far for me even though the game was pretty easy, I myself found Dragons \Dogma severely lacking in so many ways.
---
Mastamind - Devil's Symphony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXw0v2OfdCg&feature=related
#3DarkSymbiotePosted 10/7/2012 6:55:16 AM
Amalur has:

- Decent tale
- Varied weapons and abilties
- A gorgeous world
- Current gen graphics

Dragon's Dogma has -

- The worst lip syncing of this gen
- Dull environment
- Unbalanced difficulty spikes
- Story is stupid and the ending twist was done by a 10 year old
---
My Darksiders II Review:
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/988570-darksiders-ii/reviews/review-151743
#4DarkSymbiotePosted 10/7/2012 6:58:04 AM
If you want deeper explanations...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/991144-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/reviews/review-150513

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/626514-dragons-dogma/reviews/review-151162
---
My Darksiders II Review:
#5lninjasoniclPosted 10/7/2012 6:58:37 AM
Dragon's Dogma was WAY better than KoA, IMO. I couldn't get into KoA at all, after about 8 -9 hours I got rid of it. I still play DD even after well over 200+ hours.
---
I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit
#6doraemonllh1989Posted 10/7/2012 7:01:06 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
Amalur has:

- Decent tale
- Varied weapons and abilties
- A gorgeous world
- Current gen graphics

Dragon's Dogma has -

- Dull environment

^^^^should get a good job so you can buy both games
---
my opinion is fact.
if you criticize my grammar,you basically admitted that my reasoning and logic is better than yours
#7ElDudorinoPosted 10/7/2012 7:01:21 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
Dragon's Dogma has -

- Dull environment

I agree with all of this except for the environment part (though I can kind of see it). It's also one of my favorite games this generation, and is one of only two games I've played enough to platinum on the PS3.

Dragon's Dogma is a mess in many ways. The story is garbage through-and-through, the cutscenes are randomly placed and consistently bad, and since the game takes place in one region the environment isn't changed up constantly like it is in some games. Yet I still greatly enjoyed this game. I'm in love with the combat, particularly when it comes to fighting giant monsters. I would recommend at least downloading the original demo on PSN and fighting the Gryphon a couple of times. Lots of fun.

Kingdoms of Amalur is gorgeous and really seemed to be just what I wanted from a game, but I found myself burned out after playing only a chunk of the game. I dunno. I can't even describe what made me lose interest in it. I guess I just wasn't having all that much fun at the end of the day.
#8CyricsServantPosted 10/7/2012 7:03:02 AM
I feel like I've got to step in and defend DD.

DD is an incredibly unpolished game but one definitely worth playing.

Pros:

+ Fun boss fights that are, to a certain extent, reminiscent of the boss fights in Shadows of the Colossus.
+ Varied classes and gear. You're not locked in to any one build and can switch professions at any time, which keeps the gameplay fresh.
+ Solid combat. Not as good as D. Souls but better than what you'll find in an Elder Scrolls game.
+ Climactic "final" boss.
+ Surprising plot twist.

Cons:

- No expense-free form of fast travel. Capcom was clearly trying to squeeze as many hours of "gameplay" as they could out of DD.
- Incredibly bland, repetitious and forgettable Pawn dialogue.
- Easy to miss sidequests.
- Pretty generic world overall.
#9TimeOfTheDarkPosted 10/7/2012 7:06:53 AM
Dragon's Dogma has -

- Dull environment

Also terrible graphics, framerate issues, odd camera issues, boring gameplay, etc. In fact, I can't think of a single good quality it has, and I keep trying it because the fanboys keep raving about it, but I'm thinking they must have Dragon's Dogma confused with a different game, because it's awful.

Guess the only reason they rave a bout it is because it's made in Japan and by Capcom.
#10DarkSymbiotePosted 10/7/2012 7:09:41 AM
TimeOfTheDark posted...
Dragon's Dogma has -

- Dull environment

Also terrible graphics, framerate issues, odd camera issues, boring gameplay, etc. In fact, I can't think of a single good quality it has, and I keep trying it because the fanboys keep raving about it, but I'm thinking they must have Dragon's Dogma confused with a different game, because it's awful.

Guess the only reason they rave a bout it is because it's made in Japan and by Capcom.

Dragon's Dogma is the only game I know that had fanboys before the game was even out. I was called "troll" among other things on the DD board for posting reviews. Apparently since they were below good, I was offending them.
---
My Darksiders II Review: