This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma?

#31schadowPosted 10/7/2012 10:04:58 AM
Kingdoms of Amalur has:

- A largely uninteresting metric ton of text walls, coming from every NPC.
- Enemies that are so stupid and weak that you'd have to play blindfolded to find it challenging.
- In conjunction with the previous point: skills that are so broken that it's hard not to cheesecake the whole game.
- The only thing that prevents you from completing the game in an afternoon is the size of the map.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#32AstroshakPosted 10/7/2012 10:31:38 AM
TimeOfTheDark posted...
Dragon's Dogma doesn't have positives.

The people who like it were the one's who said it was the best game ever before the game was released and they even played it. Like I said, I'm pretty sure they just praised it because it was from Japan and made by Capcom, not because it was any good, because at best it was mediocre with TONS of flaws.

Incorrect. I can't speak for anyone but myself, though I can say that as someone who likes Dragon's Dogma, I was not one who liked it before it was released - I didn't know anything about the thing before the demo, and frankly, the demo made me less interested in the game than just seeing the ads here on GameFAQs did. Your blanket statement is incorrect. I bought the game in a "sure, why not" moment, not because I was hyped about the game or enjoyed the dang demo.

Its far from being the best game ever. Its also far from being the worst, which, frankly, is what you allude to in your description of it. Hydlide was significantly worse, as was E.T.

You may have a valid point about it having gotten too much hype, but you don't have a valid point in stating that the game has no positives. I'd say "fun combat" is a big positive, seeing as you're going to be fighting for much of the game. I'd say that the graphics were pretty good as well, not that graphics make or break a game. The whole Pawn concept was very innovative, and ties in very well with the odd story. Some may call the story a positive for being so unique, others may not get what's going on or just find it dumb, so not going to call the story a positive or a negative. The game world also seems quite large to begin with, and unlike most RPG's, does not really lock you into any given path until you find Item X to get rid of Obstruction Y; instead, the game does what RPG's used to do in allowing you to go where you want as long as you were willing to face the consequences. Thats a positive, not a negative, and enhances the "open world" feel of the game.

You don't like the game. That's fine. Try being a little more objective about it, rather than sbjective. IMO they should have limited the number of times that the Pawns could speak in a ten minute period. I don't need to know that there may be a stream nearby two seconds after we all stopped walking through it.

TC, both KoA and DD are decent games. Neither is superb, but nor are they steaming piles left behind after a dog takes a dump, either.
#33dj___rollPosted 10/7/2012 10:40:50 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
TimeOfTheDark posted...
Dragon's Dogma has -

- The worst lip syncing of this gen
- Dull environment
- Unbalanced difficulty spikes
- Story is stupid and the ending twist was done by a 10 year old

Also terrible graphics, framerate issues, odd camera issues, boring gameplay, etc. In fact, I can't think of a single good quality it has, and I keep trying it because the fanboys keep raving about it, but I'm thinking they must have Dragon's Dogma confused with a different game, because it's awful.

Guess the only reason they rave a bout it is because it's made in Japan and by Capcom.

Dragon's Dogma is the only game I know that had fanboys before the game was even out. I was called "troll" among other things on the DD board for posting reviews. Apparently since they were below good, I was offending them.

You get called a troll for doing anything anyone doesn't like or agree with.

"I like RE6, though I can see why people wouldn't." - TROLL!

"I hate RE6, though I can see why people would." - TROLL!

"I think Game X has a better main character than Game Y" - TROLL!

"I posted a troll topic!" - This is the only exception to being called a troll - when you're actually doing it.

No, he got called a troll because he spouts his opinion as fact and insults anyone who's opinion differs from his.

You should learn to read better.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#34SikkaSillPosted 10/7/2012 10:48:13 AM(edited)
Dragon's Dogma is quite fun actually... It has great gameplay and combat mechanics, especially if you think about what they could improve upon in a sequel. Graphics aren't really unique but they get the job done with that dungeons and dragons type of dungeon crawl feel. Pawns are a good idea they just need to improve the ai and the inclination system. Having friends and people online use your pawn as you use theirs is pretty cool. Tons of weapons and secrets, and tons of little quests. The night and day system with enemies being harder or you can only get things at night should be in every open world game. I never used the max amount of pawns to journey with me only my main pawn, and a healer. So difficulty was at a sweet spot with 3 characters. Traveling does get a pain.... and a lot of quests are chores, but I'm used to that with MMO's

Overall I love that D&D dungeon crawl feel and Dragons Dogma gave me that. Love the classes, customization and combat. It has many flaws and lag spikes but I can't wait for the sequel and when they implement CO-OP! please?
---
RIP DP, gonna miss you bro! "Bwahhhhh" - Me
http://dragonsdogma.tumblr.com/post/20794618336
#35ScreamingMidgetPosted 10/7/2012 10:46:39 AM
Dragon's Dogma.
#36brainlackPosted 10/7/2012 11:11:08 AM
dd
pros boob slider
---
because you like to read a sig in a sig so
I wrote a sig(inside a sig)for you to read - Brainlack
#37GenjiRedPosted 10/7/2012 11:24:37 AM
I played both, but I like Dragon's Dogma much better. Probably my favorite Capcom game this gen. I have played DD for over 200 hours, right now I'm just waiting for DLC.

Also, be careful with some of the comments on this topic. Some of the posters on here haven't played Dragon's Dogma and are making baseless statements just to put down Capcom because of RE6 and STxT.
---
If you believe in Pikachu, have accepted him as a cute lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#38AkumaRyuKenPosted 10/7/2012 12:42:42 PM
Neither are that great but I'd say Amalur is better, the combat is way better & you get fast travel right away but the game is pathetically easy even on hard, there's almost no enemy diversity despite the world being HUGE & the story is painfully boring. (Dogma's is too)

The best thing about Dogma is the big monster fights but they don't happen that frequently & you'll mainly come across Cyclops & Chimeras, neither of which are a challenge. The Pawns can be ridiculously useless in a fight at times much like the cat companions in Monster Hunter so you'll probably be using them as pack mules/decoys. They do come in handy at night though because unlike most games with a Day & Night cycle you can't see **** at night even with lanterns equipped. Dogma would've benefited greatly from some of Monster Hunter's features like the Armor & Weapon crafting system & how you fight the monsters.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/Emperor_El.png
#39GeminiX7Posted 10/7/2012 12:44:04 PM
DarkSymbiote posted...
TimeOfTheDark posted...
Dragon's Dogma has -

- The worst lip syncing of this gen
- Dull environment
- Unbalanced difficulty spikes
- Story is stupid and the ending twist was done by a 10 year old

Also terrible graphics, framerate issues, odd camera issues, boring gameplay, etc. In fact, I can't think of a single good quality it has, and I keep trying it because the fanboys keep raving about it, but I'm thinking they must have Dragon's Dogma confused with a different game, because it's awful.

Guess the only reason they rave a bout it is because it's made in Japan and by Capcom.

Dragon's Dogma is the only game I know that had fanboys before the game was even out. I was called "troll" among other things on the DD board for posting reviews. Apparently since they were below good, I was offending them.

I guess you're new to the site. Every game has this. It's twice as bad for Bethesda games. All an Elder Scroll game needs is a placeholder title screen and some gothic chanting and forum mouthbreathers can't gush fast enough about how it's going to be GOTY.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#40Still__RippinPosted 10/7/2012 12:50:33 PM
Just because there is more to KoA's story doesn't mean it's good, it's actually terrible. So is Dogmas though.

Other than that though, DD is everything KoA tried to be. Practically a carbon copy of the skill system. Enemies are more fun to fight. Better loot. It actually has a difficulty. KoA felt like it was made for an autistic 5 year old. I literally blazed through the game on the hardest setting doing nothing but hitting X. Sure I threw some combos I here and there but there is no need to as the game shouldn't eve be considered a game with how easy it is. Dogma is superior in every way, plain and simple.
---
Propaganda- What lies before us and lies ahead of us are small matters compared to what lies right to our faces.
PSN- Rip_Dat_Bong