This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma?

#41Mystickay86Posted 10/7/2012 12:50:34 PM
doraemonllh1989 posted...
LazyBro posted...
Dragon's Dogma doesn't have positives.

^ now that's a trollish statement sir.

i wonder whats up with people nowadays,they just simply post some bullsh*t without any facts and logics /facepalm

timeofthedark probably just mad because dd sold more than his favorite game

You suggested to "IpRokka" user here in gamefaqs, to get Duke Nukem over InFamous 2. I'll say it again because I still find it very amazing that you sir, suggested Duke Nukem over InFamous 2, and that topic - nearly 95% said InFamous 2, while you said Duke Nukem.
---
Official Gai of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations board
#42IcarusTheFinalPosted 10/7/2012 12:54:40 PM
I have and play both. I actually beat Dragon's Dogma and had ton's of fun with it, and want to do a second quest eventually.

Kingdoms of Amalur was fun for a while, but now i have to force myself to play it, as I haven't beaten it yet.

So Dragon's Dogma. By a lot.
---
They're Masterworks all, you can't go wrong.
#43shawnmckPosted 10/7/2012 1:08:14 PM
Dragon's Dogma strengths are with awesome monsters, bosses and combat.
Its weaknesses lie with the convoluted story and lack of a useful teleport system.
The environments are fine (not pretty, but not ugly either).

KoA strengths lie with its versatility in that it has a lot to offer.
However its biggest weakness is that it just starts to get repetitive & mundane half way through.
The environments are very bright & colorful, but also cartoony (as are the graphics).

In the end it really is a toss-up, as both games are very good, but have their respective drawbacks.
Neither one is terrible, and they both offer a lot of gameplay hours.

Anecdotal...
A few people I know both loved KoA at first, but eventually got bored with it.
They tried DD and one of them loved it and the other hated it.
Go figure.!?
#44PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 10/7/2012 1:24:44 PM
I am not going to try not to go into a tirade, but damn I am shocked and appalled at this topic.

All I gotta say is that KoA was one of the WORST games made this gen, and DD was one of the BEST.

And seriously? Comparing STORY? They BOTH have crap story!

BTW, KoA will turn into "press two buttons to win" by the end. I beat the end boss in 30 seconds, and the end area in about 10 minutes. ZERO challenge whatsoever, ZERO FUN.

These people saying KoA is somehow worlds better have no taste and probably no experience with video games. The game was a straight up disappointment. LOL The company that made it went bankrupt and had to close down! That's a REAL BLOCKBUSTER they got there!

Seriously LOL at KoA being anything more than a minor mediocre distraction of a game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#45jammiesPosted 10/7/2012 1:38:47 PM
Over 150 hours in DD. Loved every second.
Haven't played KoA.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#46ElDudorinoPosted 10/7/2012 1:39:02 PM
PPPPLAASSUMA posted...
The company that made [KoA] went bankrupt and had to close down! That's a REAL BLOCKBUSTER they got there!

To be fair, it actually sold very well for a new IP. The company was just incompetent when it came to managing their budget so the game would have had to be like as successful as Call of Duty to actually be profitable.
#47BaseChouGokuPosted 10/7/2012 1:41:14 PM
They thought it was gonna sell like Skyrim but they thought wrong
#48HumbubbaPosted 10/7/2012 1:58:58 PM
They're both mediocre at best. Dragon's Dogma has fun, challenging combat but the fact that enemy placement never changes makes the game a chore to get through. This would be fine in a game like Dark Souls where you only traverse an area at most two to three times, but in a game like Dragon's Dogma where you constantly go back and forth through the same trail/area dozens of times it becomes tedious and unexciting. The romance system is convoluted and npc's are a joke although the pawn system is incredibly unique and fun to play around with. Furthermore character customization is the best I've seen in any game though the fact that different hair colors and voices are paid dlc mars the system's versatility. The best aspect of Dragon's Dogma are its large creatures which are immensely fun to scale and conquer but lack variety and become fairly easy to beat mid-game. Also keep in mind you can only have one save file in Dragon's Dogma (per character?).

Kingdom's of Amalur on the other hand has a beautifully crafted world, far more expansive than Dragon's Dogma's own which only seems big because of the lack of fast travel. The combat is fun but not at all challenging which in turn really drags down the games later half. There is no romance system and as a previous poster said npc's possess walls of texts in their dialogue which are bound to put you to sleep. The skill tree is slightly better in Amalur as it takes a little longer to max out and has more variety as a mage class than Dragon's Dogma's respective magical class.

In either game there is a system that lets you change your class at will and both games offer unique hybrid classes as well. But more crucially both of these games lack in enemy variety and most importantly personality and although both games do have their up sides, their uninspiring story lines let them down. It goes to show you that fun and innovative combat can't make up for tedium and a general lack of soul.

Even though Skyrim has substantially worse combat and Dark Souls lacks in gameplay diversity both are far superior games than either Dragon's Dogma or Kingdoms of Amalur. Honestly I would just recommend passing on both and waiting for a better games to come along. I know it's not in the same genre but Borderlands 2 is quite spectacular and Dishonored seems quite promising as well. It's probably a better idea to purchase either of those games than the cesspools of blandness that Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur are.
---
<(-_-)>
#49almasbabyPosted 10/7/2012 2:10:00 PM
Kingdoms of Amalur. I have no idea what the attraction to DD is. I played the demo and was bored. Horrible, dull combat. Then I heard people raving about it, so I rented it from Gamefly thinking maybe I'm missing something. I wasn't.
#50BaseChouGokuPosted 10/7/2012 2:35:35 PM
almasbaby posted...
Kingdoms of Amalur. I have no idea what the attraction to DD is. I played the demo and was bored. Horrible, dull combat. Then I heard people raving about it, so I rented it from Gamefly thinking maybe I'm missing something. I wasn't.

While I haven't bought either; whats the attraction to Amalur? It looks like a failed Fable meets Oblivion meets Dragon Age meets World of Warcraft with a lame too easy God of War fail playstyle