This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are opinions on the quality of videogames so polarizing?

#21doraemonllh1989Posted 10/7/2012 9:00:54 AM
killak posted...
dont forget forming an opinion without even experiencing the game at hand or using someone elses opinion as their own. Most hate you see at GF is not even based off experience...

I think we both know that we agree on this.

i agree too:S
---
my opinion is fact.
if you criticize my grammar,you basically admitted that my reasoning and logic is better than yours
#22theshovellerPosted 10/7/2012 9:14:29 AM
arclouks_x posted...
Well movies and shows have a bigger audience, but I dont know most games are different not everyone likes rpgs or fps but they like action adventure and puzzle games, each game has it's audience I guess, but I always see a lot of hate for most movies unless they're classics, everyone loves scarface but I saw a lot of hate for the avengers which was this years biggest movie.

I don't like Scarface. A movie about a drug kingpin just isn't my thing - closest I come to that is Formula 51. I'm just not very vocal about what I do and don't like, and I state fairly clearly the reasons why I do or don't like something.

It's rare when you see me go out of my way to say "I hate this game." Even then, I still only say "I hate this game," not "it's a terrible game that should never have been made and people who like it are stupid."
#23SightoPosted 10/7/2012 9:25:26 AM
L0ck0n90 posted...
Great tv shows and movies such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, Arrested Development, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, are almost universally loved. You'll rarely see anyone hate on these shows/movies.

They definitely get their fair share of hate. I didn't enjoy any of those.
People just aren't as vocal about it and move on.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#24Spiroth_KweehhPosted 10/7/2012 9:38:20 AM(edited)
MGSaga, Final Fantasy, Mario and Legend of Zelda have in no way as many Haters as even 1/10th of their Fans.

Some couple hundred thousand Internet Haters =/= millions of Fans.

Also, it's called opinions. In example, I dislike The Godfather movies out of the movies you mentioned.
There may be a few hundred thousand people that don't like The Godfather worldwide, but this doesn't mean it's hated.
Also, gamers online are spoiled brats. Instead of ignoring what they don't like, they choose to act like a spoiled kid.
I personally never go out of my way to Hate on something. But I'm a sane adult.

---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#25GM_Posted 10/7/2012 9:33:53 AM
On another note it bugs me how people bash and hate old games just for being old games. You rarely see this in the music industry and movie industry. I tend to just ignore these people since they're not worth my time.
---
Trolling the Mods since 2009
#26theshovellerPosted 10/7/2012 9:40:59 AM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
I personally never go out of my way to Hate on something. But I'm a sane adult.

Blasphemy! If you were a "sane adult," you'd know that your opinions are the only correct opinions and that everyone else is sheep or cows or geese or... something like that. To agree to disagree is being extremely immature, man!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. The fact I have to say that every time on this site kills me a bit inside. Literally - I just coughed up a little pink thing that might be part of a lung.
#27kobalobasileusPosted 10/7/2012 10:11:32 AM
L0ck0n90 posted...
Great tv shows and movies such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, Arrested Development, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, are almost universally loved. You'll rarely see anyone hate on these shows/movies. However I have literally not seen even one videogame/videogame series that doesn't get its share of hate. The "great" videogame series such as MGS, Final Fantasy, Mario, LoZ have almost as many haters as they do lovers.

I think all those shows are crap. They all deal with depressingly realistic scenarios (well, maybe not Arrested Development). I absolutely DESPISE cop shows. The only investigator shows I've been able to enjoy are X-Files and Fringe... can you guess why?

The reason gamer opinions are so divided is because a lot of the "old" gamers are like me: They want fantasy, sci-fi, or just random surreal videogaminess. "New" gamers are the same people who like those crappy shows TC mentioned: They want gritty, realistic, true-to-life scenarios. Obviously, these two factions won't get along or agree on anything game related.
#28AXKSIONPosted 10/7/2012 10:15:53 AM
L0ck0n90 posted...
Great tv shows and movies such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, Arrested Development, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, are almost universally loved. You'll rarely see anyone hate on these shows/movies. However I have literally not seen even one videogame/videogame series that doesn't get its share of hate. The "great" videogame series such as MGS, Final Fantasy, Mario, LoZ have almost as many haters as they do lovers.

I do not like any of those shows or movies and not sure why they're praised so much. Out of the video games listed, i do not like MGS or the FFXIII series. Also hate the motion controls in Skyward Sword.
#29ScreamingMidgetPosted 10/7/2012 10:23:17 AM
killak posted...
I know that it's a crap game...... look at MetaCritic.

Clearly i'm right.

This.
#30schadowPosted 10/7/2012 10:32:08 AM
It's much easier to become bored of a certain game, or find flaws because you're actively immersing yourself in the game.

Movies is purely one-way, so more often than not, people don't care about the minute differences in quality, enough to care. You're home at 9 PM, had a long day and there's only some terrible hollywood drama from 1986 playing, but you're too tired to actively object against it, and you just sit down and let yourself zombify.

Or at least, that's my theory.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!