This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is $60.00 price tag justifiable for games these days?

#71DakhanavarXPosted 10/8/2012 12:28:46 PM
TheCyborgNinja posted...
I just hate how video games are immune to accurate price models. Why should a Ferrari (Red Dead Redemption) be the same price as a Pontiac (Rogue Warrior)? Non-AAA games might actually sell really well if they were more competitively priced. Somebody might buy a game like Risen 2 over Skyrim if it cost half as much. It also would readjust the perception of the game. If I pay $60 for something mediocre, I will regret it, but if I pay $30 for it, I may look at it more for what it is and get my money's worth.

The problem is who decides these things? A "crap" game still uses the same case, disk, and instruction manuals. It's not like cars where you can break it down piece by piece and end up with radically different prices.

The other problem is opinion. In my opinion, I'd never pay $20 for an annual sports game, much less full price. But plenty of people enjoy sports games and happily pick those games up for full price on release day. Some folks would sooner toss Skyrim in the trash than pay $60 for it, no matter how many theoretical hours you can get out of it or what kinda of development costs it had.

Worse yet, do you factor in multiplayer? I loved Bioshock, but it's a single-player game. Should those types of games become "budget" titles because they lack the longevity of something like CoD or Battlefield?

And imagine being the developers of Risen 2, for example. Do you think you'd sit there and say, "Yeah, we're like...1/2 the game Skyrim is, so we're only going to charge $30." To them, with their team, budget, etc., they probably feel they created a game worth full price.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of some games costing less, but there's just way too much grey area.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#72D E E G SPosted 10/8/2012 12:35:38 PM
The $60 price tag in my mind is unjustified if the developer is going to supplement its release with all kinds of small day one DLC like weapon skins, etc.... If the developer/publisher is going to do that then they need to get the retail box price. I have no problem paying $60 for a game, I have a big problem payin $60 for a game and then seeing dozens of weapon skins, etc... for sale on release day.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw&feature=youtu.be
#73snoopymarkPosted 10/8/2012 12:37:47 PM
work_a_holic posted...
It should be much higher. Games are cheaper now than they have basically ever been with inflation.

---
PSN - thesnoopmeister
rebelallianceclan.com
#74ChaoticKnucklesPosted 10/8/2012 12:42:43 PM
D E E G S posted...
The $60 price tag in my mind is unjustified if the developer is going to supplement its release with all kinds of small day one DLC like weapon skins, etc.... If the developer/publisher is going to do that then they need to get the retail box price. I have no problem paying $60 for a game, I have a big problem payin $60 for a game and then seeing dozens of weapon skins, etc... for sale on release day.

You don't have to buy them though and they're generally cosmetic, not affecting gameplay at all. Why should that even factor in to how much the game costs? If you don't want to pay for it you don't have to. Games only cost $10 more this gen than they did last gen and cost considerably more to produce. How is $60 not justified? While I'm no fan of most DLC, we honestly get a pretty good value most of the time for our money when compared to other forms of entertainment.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#75TimeOfTheDarkPosted 10/8/2012 1:23:05 PM
Depends on the game....

Crappy JRPGs that have gameplay and graphics that could have been on a handheld, a phone, or a sega genesis? LOL at those companies trying to charge $60.

For real games, sure why not, they are expensive to make, and you get tons of fun out of them.
#76UnKnownWolfPosted 10/8/2012 6:59:39 PM(edited)
Back in the day I remember SNES games were 80 dollars, so I'm going to have to say yes, plus the price drops pretty quickly.
---
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind. Edward D. Morrison
#77gilv3rPosted 10/8/2012 7:25:46 PM
I wait for price drops on almost everything anymore. Only my most wanted warrant a splurge.
---
PC/PS3
Awaiting: Okami HD and Z.O.E HD LE
#78killakPosted 10/9/2012 6:16:46 AM
in reality I only buy when I cannot pirate..

You kinda wasted any point you may have had, with that line. You seriously just complained about them ripping you off, while admitting that you steal games.

Not the smartest cookie, when it comes to this debate.
---
Greer Logic: "I don't want a game that's always the same. I want a game that never changes"
#79calhoun1389Posted 10/9/2012 8:03:45 AM
DakhanavarX posted...
A)The problem is who decides these things? A "crap" game still uses the same case, disk, and instruction manuals. It's not like cars where you can break it down piece by piece and end up with radically different prices.

B)The other problem is opinion. In my opinion, I'd never pay $20 for an annual sports game, much less full price. But plenty of people enjoy sports games and happily pick those games up for full price on release day. Some folks would sooner toss Skyrim in the trash than pay $60 for it, no matter how many theoretical hours you can get out of it or what kinda of development costs it had.

C)Worse yet, do you factor in multiplayer? I loved Bioshock, but it's a single-player game. Should those types of games become "budget" titles because they lack the longevity of something like CoD or Battlefield?

D)And imagine being the developers of Risen 2, for example. Do you think you'd sit there and say, "Yeah, we're like...1/2 the game Skyrim is, so we're only going to charge $30." To them, with their team, budget, etc., they probably feel they created a game worth full price.

E)Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of some games costing less, but there's just way too much grey area.

A) With gaming leaning towards DD, this becomes less and less of a problem.

B) Then take the opinion out of it. A government funded review board (like the ESRB) can test games and determine their price based on set standards for each genre. Things rated would be such as difficultly, originality, length of main story, replayability, control comfortability, visuals etc.

My whole thing about the originality is to discourage developers from blatantly copying other developers' games. The original CoD franchise might get $50-60 sales per game, but RE6 would only get about $30-40 due to changing t heir genre to try and match CoD.

C) I think replayability should come into consideration when determining the price. If you're not going to offer players a MP portion, then you should at least make the SP portion good enough to want to come back and play it over and over again. If a game has no MP, and only a mediocre SP mode, then I don't believe it should sell for the same as a game that has an immersive MP mode.

D) Bad example really. Risen 2 is a mediocre/average game while Skyrim was given universal critical acclaim. If the game is half of a AAA title, then it should only cost half as much or so.

E) Hence the need for standardized testing and rating.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#80RPG maniac87Posted 10/9/2012 8:15:06 AM
Kingmichael1337 posted...
games like skyrim are $60 games imo; when i first got it (for $30), i was blown away by how huge it was. someone is going to respond to this post talking crap about skyrim because we've got a lot of disgruntled weeaboos in here who are jelly that the best rpg on a console this gen was from the west, but tbh idc

if i could go back in time, i'd stop myself from paying full price for mass effect 2, mass effect 3 (collector's edition), and final fantasy xiii, and i'd tell me to wait for the prices to drop (to $30 for ME2 and ME3, and to $5 for FFXIII, if that).

I love how you complain about something like that but then bait people into doing it. Classy.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)