This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The First Sale Doctrine is under attack- why this matters to you as a PS3 owner.

#21RyuuHou25Posted 10/8/2012 1:38:10 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
Exactly, lostnumberwar.

And I quote, from the article (which I guess a few people didn't read, unfortunately)-

" In August 2011, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a lower court’s ruling that anything that was manufactured overseas is not subject to the first-sale principle. Only American-made products or “copies manufactured domestically” were. "

And as many of you know, virtually nothing to do with gaming, computers or electronics is manufactured domestically in the United States.

I kind of thought that the vast majority of people here understood this.

You assumed the vast majority have common sense. They don't.

I don't think people realize how very little of what they have or buy on a day to day basis that they think they "own" is not made in the US, but overseas or in Canada/Mexico.

ALL of that would be affected by this.

But, that's the US for you, don't care until it affects them -.- And even then, they usually don't care much.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#22undeadeathPosted 10/8/2012 1:43:26 AM
I think this would do so much harm that it probably wouldn't ever go through, or at least I'd hope not. Either way, thanks for bringing it to our attention TC.
---
Check out my friend's gaming blog! - http://gameternity.wordpress.com/
#23Peltar94Posted 10/8/2012 1:44:03 AM
It won't go through, there is no way......it would kill the automobile industry and that is just too big to fail, it would be a final nail in our struggling economy.
#24calhoun1389Posted 10/8/2012 1:53:07 AM
lostnumberwar posted...
Every game I've ever played was complete without the DLC.
DLC is just extra junk that people can pay for if they want to play it.
Like map packs. Would the game be incomplete without one or two more arenas to compete in? No but people want more crap to look at while shooting each other or a few more rooms to hide in.

I'm guessing you've never heard of how Capcom locked some of their games' characters and stages from player use while still having all the necessary coding in the game to make them usable, only adding another code to lock them unless players paid them extra. Or Day 1 DLC that they make just to try and force used purchasers to give them money.

IHeartMetroid posted...
"Firstly why did you split up the link."

I already explained that. For some reason when the link isn't broken up, it triggers an automatic GameFAQs "Your Topic Has A Banned Word" warning and won't let me post it.

Blame GameFAQs for the stupidity of its censor computers.

Um... look at the site's name: "Market Watch." Don't see it? How about looking at it like this: "markeT WATch." See it now? lol Yeah, that's why we use Tinyurl when a link has an "unknown" banned word in the URL.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#25IHeartMetroid(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 1:56:24 AM
As much as I would love to assume it would be tossed out-

Bear in mind that two other lower courts already decided against Kirtsaeng, against the First Sale doctrine principle.

This last ruling, from the Supreme Court, is the final appeal that can be made before it's official...
#26schadowPosted 10/8/2012 1:58:11 AM
What happened to sustainability and recycling?
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#27chrombotPosted 10/8/2012 1:59:40 AM
Chaingunmaster posted...
An amendment this insane will never get approved.

I really don't think it will either.

The amount of damage it would do can it no way be made up for the amount of damage it prevents.
#28YO456Posted 10/8/2012 2:03:03 AM
dankanefan posted...
Shineboxer posted...
Who cares, I'm not a peasant.

That's the problem with the U.S., people in a good place don't care about those who aren't. That "doesn't affect me so I don't care" mentality is why we're in the mess we're in now.

Pffff, I live in Argentina, you`re NOT in a mess at all. If you think your country is so bad, come live here.
---
Coronados de gloria vivamos
O juremos con gloria morir!
#29RyuuHou25Posted 10/8/2012 2:03:52 AM
chrombot posted...
Chaingunmaster posted...
An amendment this insane will never get approved.

I really don't think it will either.

The amount of damage it would do can it no way be made up for the amount of damage it prevents.

You realize there are parts of the country that were/are actually considering making women who have been violated (that R word) and impregnated keeping said life no matter what. And there was talk about making abortion punishable by death -.-

People do not think about consequences, they just do because, as I said, a lot of the US has that "doesn't affect me, don't care" mentality.

The fact it has gotten up to Supreme Court should have everyone VERY worried about the consequences and implications of the outcome of the case.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#30PopSmorePosted 10/8/2012 2:06:51 AM
this effects anyone living, not just gamers, thanks for posting TC
---
kemikalz.net