This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've had my fat PS3 since launch. I guess it might die soon. Question:

#1PoorCountryPosted 10/8/2012 1:59:51 AM
What do I do to keep all my games and save data?
#2star_guy_100Posted 10/8/2012 2:25:33 AM
i know that you can redownload everything youve bought on psn. and as long as your trophy list synched with your account online thats fine too. for game saves, i dont know, i think you need to transfer them to a different hard drive but i dont know how to do that, mine died suddenly so i never got a chance
#3EoinPosted 10/8/2012 2:42:39 AM
You have several choices. The main decision you need to make it whether you want to buy a new PS3 now - or if you're not going to buy another PS3 unless/until your current PS3 dies.

If you buy a new PS3 now, then you can simply connect your new and old PS3 using an ethernet cable, and run the Data Transfer Utility. This will transfer all games, all install data, all saves, basically everything (except any videos that you've purchased from PSN - those are basically lost no matter what you do).

If you're not going to buy a new PS3, then you have a few options:

1. Copy your saves to a USB storage device. This won't allow you to copy "protected" (locked) save files. You should fit most or all of your save files onto a USB drive. You won't be able to put any games onto it, but those can be re-downloaded anyway. This is relatively fast but you'll lose your locked saves and you'll need to redownload any PSN games.

2. Back up using the Backup Utility. This will back up everything but will not restore locked save files to a different PS3, so again, you're losing your locked saves. This method is very slow (the more you have on your hard drive, the slower it is). The upside is that you don't have to re-download anything.

3. Copy your saves to the Cloud. Cloud storage is only available for PlayStation Plus subscribers. You can copy any PS3 save file there, and download it onto a different PS3. It's a good way to back up your saves. As a bonus, your PS3 can be set to automatically synchronise new saves with the cloud storage so you don't have to copy new saves manually. The downside is that you can only store PS3 save files here - so it won't backup saves from Minis, PSone games, or PS2 games - however these can all be copied to USB anyway.
#4PoorCountry(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 2:57:03 AM
Thanks, guys. About the Back Up utility -- what does it back data up to? USB?
#5EoinPosted 10/8/2012 3:13:37 AM
PoorCountry posted...
Thanks, guys. About the Back Up utility -- what does it back data up to? USB?

Yes. You'll want a storage device which has the same amount of free space available as you're currently using on your PS3, so if you have lots of stuff, you'll probably need a USB hard drive rather than simple a USB stick. You can speed things up (and reduce the amount of space required) by deleting things that you can easily get back (such as game installations).
#6PoorCountry(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 3:27:52 AM
Okay. Thanks again.