This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have JRPGs really declined in comparison to last gen? Let's take a look

#81Lelouch71Posted 10/8/2012 10:26:37 PM
Console jrpg may not leave much to desire as a whole, but handheld are sure as hell kicking ass. The genre slightly declined in the PS2 era. I've been playing my PS1 games and I feel as if they had more heart and charm. Then again I consider the PS1 the golden era for jrpgs.

Anyway the consoles are disappointments to me as a whole in this regard and good Japanese games in general. So I've been becoming more of a handheld guy. The DS, PSP, and now 3DS been getting the games I want. The 3DS already impress me more in its 1.5 years of life than the PS3 has for its entire 6 years of living which is kind of sad especially when the PS1 and PS2 were the king.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#82RPG maniac87Posted 10/8/2012 10:32:26 PM(edited)
Sheria_K posted...
If there is one thing I have noticed about some "Jrpg Fans" is that they have a tendency to stick the epic & Heavy plot driven ones on a pedestal of their own, they can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that a game like Etrian Odyssey or even the superb Dark Spire can possibly stand head and shoulders with the likes of FFX or Xenoblade.

Kind of like how the TC can't wrap his head around all the console JRPG masterpieces he intentionally left out.
Go figure it's mostly from the smaller console devs too. Maybe he'd appreciate them more if they were on handhelds.

Consoles aren't much better, $250-$300 is a month's worth of rent
I want to live where rent is that cheap. >_<
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#83Gatchan2Posted 10/8/2012 10:43:01 PM
Sheria_K posted...
If there is one thing I have noticed about some "Jrpg Fans" is that they have a tendency to stick the epic & Heavy plot driven ones on a pedestal of their own, they can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that a game like Etrian Odyssey or even the superb Dark Spire can possibly stand head and shoulders with the likes of FFX or Xenoblade.

I'm more than content with my handhelds though to be honest, they can throw as much money as they like at the visuals, fully orchestral scores and developing a large, living, breathing world, a 16bit game can still end up trumping it quite easily.

Why do you promote those but not Wizardry which is on PSN?

Anyways a lot of people can't get into those games because they are not as plot driven. It's often more engaging for some when they start to care about the characters and the story they're involved in through the narration and events instead of just create a character and go dungeon crawling...
---
"For Capcom, the day our DLC scam was uncovered, was the most embarrassing day of our life, but for the hacker... it was Tuesday" - muryo
#84Sheria_KPosted 10/8/2012 10:51:52 PM(edited)
Gatchan2 posted...
Sheria_K posted...

I'm more than content with my handhelds though to be honest, they can throw as much money as they like at the visuals, fully orchestral scores and developing a large, living, breathing world, a 16bit game can still end up trumping it quite easily.

Why do you promote those but not Wizardry which is on PSN?

Anyways a lot of people can't get into those games because they are not as plot driven. It's often more engaging for some when they start to care about the characters and the story they're involved in through the narration and events instead of just create a character and go dungeon crawling...

Because I was simply picking examples, not listing everything.

And I understand why someone might have their preferances, my issue is with the fact that so many treat the large, epic, plot driven titles as factually superior.
---
Currently Playing: Mugen Souls (EU)
#85TehTrumpCardPosted 10/8/2012 11:01:56 PM
TBH I don't mind that most of my JRPGs are handheld. They're (usually) time consuming anyways so why not make them portable?

Although I find myself not enjoying most console games for longer than 20-30 hrs, funny considering it only takes that long to beat most of them. American gaming as a whole has become lackluster in the good storytelling depart this gen, except for a rare few titles.
---
Only the person who has wisdom can read the most foolish one from the history. It's funnier that man exceeds the speed of light than fish start living on land.
#86TehAssasinPosted 10/9/2012 12:01:55 AM
CooperRC posted...
The TC has failed to list all of the JRPG's last generation in order to try to make it look like this generation is better. He even tried to list some games in this generation that were really last generation (such as Persona 3 and 4). Major fail.

You would make a great politician since you like to bend the truth.

I don't wish to bash TC, but you are exactly correct.

The list is quite biased towards his definition of current gen, when usually generation is referring to consoles. In addition, PSP and DS games could also be counted as last gen, since they already existed when there are still games coming for PS2.

Portable games are cool and all, but if I want to get on to heavy gaming, a console feels much more right. Besides, as I've mentioned earlier, they tend to more higher in quality especially in graphics/sound/musics/engine performance.
#87thegame216Posted 10/9/2012 12:34:28 AM
LOL the TC is one of the biggest fails i've seen yet on GFAQ.

FFXIII universal backlash? please tell that to this

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/final-fantasy-xiii

83% metacritic is backlash now? 8.0 user ranking is backlash now? you'll never find an collective source of user rankings from fans having this game any lower than 75%. please shut up and understand the meaning of your words. even its pitiful sequel, managed to be profitable ( http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/14/square-enix-has-pockets-full-of-gil-thanks-to-deus-ex-and-final-fantasy-xiii-2/ ) and have an solid ranking.

posters like TC is exactly the reason i treat GFAQ like def jam comedy. because quite frankly, this place is a joke. this is the only place where people bash solid titles in favor crappy games like nier just because of its niche status.
#88Retroxgamer0Posted 10/9/2012 12:40:03 AM
dunno why you left out ff13, its really good and underrated, i think its better than 12 on ps2 by a mile.
#89thegame216Posted 10/9/2012 12:41:51 AM
and LOL @ square being in bad shape. i'm quite sure, far as profits go, they're doing just fine ( just check my link regarding XIII-2 ). quality of their titles are extremely subjective. but the general consensus is that they're still making good games. please have factual statements before you make yourself look like a fool TC.
#90medmusclePosted 10/10/2012 9:41:33 AM
thegame216 posted...
and LOL @ square being in bad shape. i'm quite sure, far as profits go, they're doing just fine ( just check my link regarding XIII-2 ). quality of their titles are extremely subjective. but the general consensus is that they're still making good games. please have factual statements before you make yourself look like a fool TC.

Yeah Square Enix isn't doing that bad financially per se. They may POST losses for certain quarters, but that's also because they have been making some huge purchases by acquiring IPs. They have a lot of money. I just want to see them stick to what they intend to do. I will not purchase another brand new SE game until they finish Versus and localize Type-0.
---
If you want to see FF Type-0 localized, put it in your sig and go here to sign: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html