This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What Video Game Had A Overrated Story?

#61RPG maniac87Posted 10/8/2012 4:59:18 PM
Dragon Age and Mass Effect series were mostly drivel.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#62MaximoomPosted 10/8/2012 4:59:57 PM
Zelda games imo.
#63sortajanPosted 10/8/2012 5:01:11 PM
there seems to be an issue where people think more complex and more convoluted means more depth and better story.
then there are games like dark souls (which i did love) with minimalistic plots where the game feeds you tiny bits of information here and there (in that game's case, through item descriptions and such). even the developers admitted to not putting much effort into the plot (as i recall).
i think it's easier to list games that don't have overrated stories. i won't list mine (which is probably a list of under fifteen games out of the... thousands i've played in my twenty years of gaming) because that would just be begging for trolls.

either way planescape: torment pretty much wipes the floor with the past ten years.
#64demo_vol1Posted 10/8/2012 5:04:50 PM
Heavy rain by. The story was interesting at some parts but most of it was meh, and the plot holes didn't help.
---
Currently playing Minecraft on my Phone, Xbox and iMac but not Ps3 :'(
PSN/XBL: demo_vol1
#65TehTrumpCardPosted 10/8/2012 5:06:14 PM
Any game made by Rockstar,
---
Only the person who has wisdom can read the most foolish one from the history. It's funnier that man exceeds the speed of light than fish start living on land.
#66MwulfPosted 10/8/2012 5:07:46 PM

This. I'm always stunned at how many people think otherwise. Even beyond the execution, they're objectively bad in terms of both game structure and narrative structure. Dragon Age Origins and ME3 probably take the crap cake, though.

And it is worth pointing out that ME2 seemed to recognize how awful the story was, and (quite appropriately) shifted the focus away from the main plot to emphasize on characterization and side quests (which, IMHO, is what makes it the best Bioware offering since KOTOR).
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#67RPG maniac87Posted 10/8/2012 5:11:39 PM(edited)
sortajan posted...
there seems to be an issue where people think more complex and more convoluted means more depth and better story.

The reverse is commonly true as well though. A game requires a little bit of thought and people shutdown immediately and call the game convoluted garbage. There are also plenty of people that build up minimalistic storylines that just aren't good. Perception is an amazing thing. It's possible for someone to have more fun with a rock and a stick than a video game. It's all in the mind.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#68poolmav2007Posted 10/8/2012 5:11:34 PM
XxD3ADLYXx posted...
For me it's Final Fantasy Tactics, the story was just....boring and not interesting. IMO.

I have to agree with this one, but for different reasons. I guess they thought if they included a lot of characters and locations that the story would be great.

The first time through I didn't know what was going on most of the time. I tried to pay attention but it was very difficult for whatever reason.

The second time I was able to get a better grasp of the story, but it still isn't a "stellar" story.

It's still one of my favorite games of all time.
#69PoorCountryPosted 10/8/2012 5:14:32 PM
Mwulf posted...

This. I'm always stunned at how many people think otherwise. Even beyond the execution, they're objectively bad in terms of both game structure and narrative structure. Dragon Age Origins and ME3 probably take the crap cake, though.

And it is worth pointing out that ME2 seemed to recognize how awful the story was, and (quite appropriately) shifted the focus away from the main plot to emphasize on characterization and side quests (which, IMHO, is what makes it the best Bioware offering since KOTOR).

I don't think you know what objective means. I agree that those games have dumb stories, but the only objective criterion for a "good" story is "people like it," which in itself is subjective, which means it isn't an objective criterion. I will say again, though, that those games have boring stories, and I'm always annoyed when I hear people complaining about being "let down" by Mass Effect 3's ending.

I'll also say that your insight into Mass Effect 2 is retarded, although it is also my favorite of the series.
#70thegreatcthulhuPosted 10/8/2012 5:15:03 PM
XxD3ADLYXx posted...
For me it's Final Fantasy Tactics, the story was just....boring and not interesting. IMO.

Cthulhu is inclined to agree...
---
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."