This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow, the differences in BD quality on PS3s are freaking huge.

#1lainako12Posted 10/8/2012 12:24:30 PM
There are three PS3s in my household, one being a second-gen standard 80 gig model, the other two being slims, which, if I remember right, hold 160 gigs each. Yesterday I swapped two of them, realizing that I was using the older one for a better TV, and I needed extra HD space there. All three are 1080p, two LCD and one LED-backlit, and all of them use the exact same brand and type of HDMI 1.4 cables, so the cabling is both equal and up-to-date. And, of course, so is the firmware.

Upon popping in a BD like usual on the 60 gig on the smallest TV (the LED-lit), I immediately noticed that the picture was catastrophically fuzzy. It was horrendous. I played with the settings so it looked okay (I had to turn sharpness down to practically zero to minimize the insane jagged edges that were everywhere), but nothing I did, either on the TV or the PS3, made it the same quality as the Slim that was attached before. The Slim clearly could produce a better picture.

Meanwhile, a far more expensive TV got the Slim, and the picture quality was unquestionably better in every way. Colors were brighter and crisper, darks and lights contrasted far better, there were no noticeable flaws whatsoever in the picture, and basically, the output quality was crazy improved.

This makes me wonder about the upcoming ultra-slim model, and if it, too, will have this kind of difference. No one ever told me the difference in picture quality was that extreme.

Anyone else know anything about this, or observed it? I'd like to learn why this is, if possible. Is it nothing more than newer hardware?
---
A hole was found in the nudist camp wall. Police are looking into it.
#2ozranPosted 10/8/2012 12:29:27 PM(edited)
all PS3 models produce the same picture quality.

you just have to optimize the PS3 every time you hook it up to a different tv.

look up PS3 optimization on youtube and you should be able to find an ign video detailing everything.

once you do that for every PS3 you have hooked up then the picture will all look the same in quality
---
That does it! I have had it with these mother****ing trolls on this mother****ing board!!! -mercuryblade09
#3Shadow CloudPosted 10/8/2012 12:29:08 PM
lainako12 posted...

Meanwhile, a far more expensive TV got the Slim, and the picture quality was unquestionably better in every way. Colors were brighter and crisper, darks and lights contrasted far better, there were no noticeable flaws whatsoever in the picture, and basically, the output quality was crazy improved.

This makes me wonder about the upcoming ultra-slim model, and if it, too, will have this kind of difference. No one ever told me the difference in picture quality was that extreme.

Anyone else know anything about this, or observed it? I'd like to learn why this is, if possible. Is it nothing more than newer hardware?

There's your answer. There's no difference in BD video quality with all the PS3 models. Better test you could have done is to use the same TV.
#4lainako12(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 12:36:03 PM(edited)
Shadow Cloud posted...
lainako12 posted...

There's your answer. There's no difference in BD video quality with all the PS3 models. Better test you could have done is to use the same TV.

You misunderstand. I did use the same TV. I swapped the PS3s on each. This was a pretty clear observation between using the 80 and the Slim. As for picture quality, all of them use 1080p, and I realize configurations vary per TV--what I'm saying is that the 80 could not reproduce the Slim that it once used, regardless of settings. All three TVs are comparable, but if I just used one and tried each PS3, it'd still produce the same result. I could use nothing but the smaller 1080p LED-lit TV by itself as a comparison, and the rest is just extra.
---
#5ShadowSkill11Posted 10/8/2012 12:36:54 PM
No they aren't. They are all the same. You just didn't make sure your settings were the same on your tv and ps3's before judging.
#6lainako12(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 1:41:10 PM
ShadowSkill11 posted...
No they aren't. They are all the same. You just didn't make sure your settings were the same on your tv and ps3's before judging.

Also wrong. I know electronics, and if you swap two things that are supposed to be identical on identical equipment with nothing else different, you should get the exact same result. Two PS3s with completely identical settings on one TV should provide no difference whatsoever, but they do. You can argue all you want, but this is the truth.

And, for the record, Sony did not use identical hardware for all generations. That's why the Slim and soon the ultra-slim will be available. The hardware needed is shrinking and becoming less expensive, hence, new generations with the same components, but smaller. That should be obvious, and that means something that's different is affecting it. It's the only explanation. Or are you saying the only change in all the PS3s is nothing more than size, software capabilities, and hard disk space? Because that would be obviously wrong.
---
#7SS_MetalSonicPosted 10/8/2012 1:48:17 PM
i borrowed this movie from a friend and his dvd burner. i made a copy of the movie and put into my standalone BD player to see if it worked. it did.

then i put it into my ps3 slim just to see if it worked. it did. i brought the burned copy to my other friend to watch it on his fat ps3. it would not work.

the next day i brought the original disc to play in his fat model and that worked.
there is a better player in the slim.
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Skyward Sword, Battlefield 3, LIMBO
Forza 4, God of war 3, Bioshock 2, Donkey Kong Country, Arkham City, Dead space 2, SKYRIM
#8OtakuGameraPosted 10/8/2012 1:51:54 PM
if there was a different, the internet would've a bunch of articles and info on it by now.. since it doesnt it means the problem lies with you.
---
oh admonishing melody, arise in the name of the necromancer!!! MYSTIC CAGE!!! - blast you into oblivion :P
#9archizzyPosted 10/8/2012 2:43:46 PM
Also wrong. I know electronics, and if you swap two things that are supposed to be identical on identical equipment with nothing else different, you should get the exact same result.

You can take the exact same model number tv and swap it with an identical tv and have different settings. All panels have a variation. Within that same tv you can have vastly different levels on one HDMI input compared to another HDMI input and that isn't even taking into consideration the HDMI input that may be labeled as a PC input that doesn't have post picture processing on it.

Any time you change a piece of equipment, change the lighting in your room, change an input or output of a device you need to calibrate. And until that calibration is done it is hard to draw any valid conclusions.

Using different model tvs with different capabilities (gray scale, gamma, color accuracy, black levels, and so on) with possibly different picture modes, different processing, and all the myriad of things that can have an impact on quality complicates the scenario.

If you truly think there is vast differences I suggest going to this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/931796/official-ps3-faq-master-thread

and see if you can't get someone to replicate what you believe to be different qualities.

I had both a fat and a slim and was able to produce reference quality professionally measured numbers with both units on my Kuro Elite.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#10ShadowSkill11Posted 10/8/2012 5:57:31 PM
@lainako12: Apparently you don't know jack if you don't even know why you are getting different results for the same thing. Educate yourself son.You sound silly doubling down on that turd sandwich telling us it tastes great.