This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your favorite JRPG this gen?

#181Jon_GodPosted 10/9/2012 3:42:34 PM
In a few months, Ni No Kuni, now? Valkryia Chronicles.

-JG
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#182Dragonfist17Posted 10/9/2012 4:09:55 PM(edited)
jubjub360 posted...
Soanevalcke6 posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Soanevalcke6 posted...
jammies posted...

You seem confused on what the topic at hand is about.

This topic is about JRPGs, I'm asking you why you think those games are JRPGs.

Why do you think those games aren't JRPGs?

I already explained, they don't have the Elements required to be a JRPG, but they are Action RPGs.

So, in your opinion, that's what's required for them to be JRPGs. I think you're incorrect.

What makes a Role Playing Game:
The ability to choose how you want to play

Demon/Dark Souls allow you to do this (I can't speak for Dragon's Dogma). You can't change the definition of a Role Playing Game, a definition that has been around since D&D.

The fact that Dark Souls is a role-playing game is obvious, however, the term JRPG refers to a particular style of RPG. It references an era in which pretty much 100% of console RPGs were JRPGs, namely the NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2 time period. I think its difficult to apply this terminology to this generation of games, as genres are becoming quite blurry, and there are very few games that still follow the traditional JRPG format.

The terminology itself is flawed as it suggests that any RPG made in Japan is a JRPG, this didn't cause problems back in the day, because most console RPGs were made in Japan, but perhaps we should refer to JRPGs as CJRPGs (classic) instead. Like it or not, JRPGs are no longer the bulk of console RPGs, and it seems as though that era is a thing of the past.
#183peter_888Posted 10/9/2012 4:07:52 PM
valkyria chronicles
if that doesn't' count
then tales of graces F.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#184jubjub360Posted 10/9/2012 4:10:05 PM
The fact that Dark Souls is a role-playing game is obvious, however, the term JRPG refers to a particular style of RPG. It references an era in which pretty much 100% of console RPGs were JRPGs, namely the NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2 time period. I think its difficult to apply this terminology to this generation of games, as genres are becoming quite blurry, and there are very few games that still follow the traditional JRPG format.

The terminology itself is flawed as it suggests that any RPG made in Japan is a JRPG, perhaps we should refer to JRPGs as CJRPGs (classic) instead. Like it or not, JRPGs are no longer the bulk of console RPGs, and it seems as though that era is a thing of the past.

Oh don't get me wrong. I was a fan of JRPGs on the PS2 but I'm not now. The only ones I like now are Demon's/Dark souls. I agree that it does need to be clarified about CJRPGs because that would mean that the classic JRPG would be exactly as I described.
---
People who support SOPA to those who don't= 1:2
Type "I do not like SOPA" and I will add you to the count.
#185HIroChuPosted 10/9/2012 5:20:01 PM
Tales of graces f easily
---
"Guess who uses bras as butt cheek holders?"
#186ShinXaguraPosted 10/9/2012 5:20:53 PM
My life is Disgaea. Disgaea 4
---
You must defeat my SCREAMING DRAGON BULLET to stand a chance.
#187ArcticNinja21Posted 10/9/2012 5:24:17 PM
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
#1884EverMewPosted 10/9/2012 5:51:23 PM
I have played a lot of JRPGs in the past/present/future. But the games i like are:

Final Fantasy 8
Lost Odyssey
Breath of Fire 4 ( I have never played the BoF series before so, this is my first game that i DL from the PSN store.)
Blue Dragon
Kingdom Hearts series
Tales of series
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Chrono Cross
Grandia

And Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch will be in my favorite JRPG next year. :)
---
PSN/GT TheUchihaKid - Team: xG0K3Nx
"You are one of the ones I want to fight the most." Sasuke Uchiha -_- - O_O - @.@
#189okamhunitePosted 10/9/2012 5:52:15 PM
The Souls series.
---
Paper Demons fighting a endless war for a rich and proud king who stands tall in his Castle of Jade and Emerald, today mighty Lord, I will end your life...
#190ukokira1Posted 10/9/2012 5:53:17 PM
TWEWY
---
Joshua could easily end the KH series by crushing Xenahort with a SUV