The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the blu-ray player on the PS3 as good as a dedicated blu-ray player?

#1AkimboP90Posted 10/11/2012 7:49:12 AM
I heard the quality of the blu-ray player on the PS3 isn't actually as good as a dedicated one, is this true?
---
This signature will be changed when Justin Gabriel wins a singles title or gets released. ~ Started 17/3/11
#2GM_Posted 10/11/2012 7:54:04 AM
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

No! Says the man in Washington
---
Trolling the Mods since 2009
#3TiaelPosted 10/11/2012 7:55:22 AM
GM_ posted...
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

No! Says the man in Washington

'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#4Rogziel2kPosted 10/11/2012 8:22:39 AM
it used to be the best in the beginning. thats because it had wifi built in and it updates regularly and also its a 3d player as well. as far as quaulity...im sure its prob the same as the others as functionalty its prob more since it does more things. when ps3 came out blu rays players for the longest were 300-400 dollar range it just now came down in price within the last couple of years
#5EoinPosted 10/11/2012 8:28:09 AM
It's as good as lower-end Blu-ray players. Blu-ray players that cost as much as the PS3 will typically be much better at playing Blu-rays than the PS3.
#6theshovellerPosted 10/11/2012 8:34:01 AM
This is based entirely off my own experience, mind you:

The PS3s are better than at least some older dedicated blu-ray players, as far as menu functionality goes. My parents have a Sony blu-ray player I got for them for Christmas maybe two, three years ago, and there's a noticeable lag when loading up menus and switching between menu options - like on the Iron Man blu-ray, there's maybe a one-second lag between when you select "extras" and it doing the animation to switch to the "extras" submenu.

On my PS3, it loads up faster, and there's little to no noticeable lag when selecting submenus and things like audio languages and subtitles. Probably because the CPU speed in the PS3 is faster than what they put in the player - I think a lot of those menus and such use Javascript.
#7ComfortablySadPosted 10/11/2012 8:36:02 AM
Nope. My brother got a Samsung blu-ray player for $70 and it loads twice as fast as my PS3 Slim does. Can't make out any difference in picture quality though.
---
Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.
New site -- http://astutegamers.forumotion.com/portal
#8Pereb27Posted 10/11/2012 8:39:18 AM
I don't think it really matters, does it?

The only issue I can think of is 3D Blu-rays. While the PS3 does support it, it only has HDMI 1.3 which is a huge bottleneck (HDMI 1.4 being the standard for 3D BD), IIRC they had to sacrifice audio quality to get it to work.
#9KenauePosted 10/11/2012 9:16:41 AM
The only problem with the PS3's is how long it takes movies to load....
---
The Road to the Superbowl - New England Patriots (3-2), LG - W (31-21) over Denver!
#10Elements012894Posted 10/11/2012 9:30:14 AM
Pereb27 posted...
I don't think it really matters, does it?

The only issue I can think of is 3D Blu-rays. While the PS3 does support it, it only has HDMI 1.3 which is a huge bottleneck (HDMI 1.4 being the standard for 3D BD), IIRC they had to sacrifice audio quality to get it to work.

they patched in better audio support. Don't know the extent of it though.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.