This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so can anyone explain why JRPGS are irrelevant these days?

#11BroDudeJaggiesPosted 10/12/2012 3:28:02 PM
They are.

**plays Demon's Souls**
---
U.S.A. - The only country known to have dropped nuclear devices on civilians
#12Kingmichael1337Posted 10/12/2012 3:28:33 PM
SalsaSavant posted...
FiendingHard posted...
When was the last time a truly mind-blowing JRPG was released?

Xenoblade Chronicles was great...
and hardly anyone noticed it.

because it wasn't great enough to be noticed
---
the mods are watching me
#13thegame216(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 3:30:07 PM
superbowl54 posted...
they're niche and often take too long to complete for most people's tastes.

JRPGs live and die by the strengths of their characters and stories, given the many effeminate males and just out-there stories (especially when they to take themselves seriously), it gets hard to like them, but if you do, you're sucked in.

Also, because people tend to categorize JRPGs as "Final Fantasy", but that series has been garbage for a looooooong while, so when bad games are at the forefront (looking at you, FFXIII), it makes the entire genre look bad.

There's also the fact that this gen, WRPGs have really upped their game. The Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, Alpha Protocol, etc are pretty awesome and are usually are set in a more "realistic" world.

thats weird, because FF XIII appears to be well received by a ton of user rankings on multiple sites such as GFAQ, metacritic, amazon, etc. and the game garnered two sequels so i can't see how FF damaged the genre. if anything, its the only thing keeping it relevant in the eyes of the populace. because lets face it, nobody cares about the personas, tales of, etc. outside the niche crowd.
#14Lelouch71Posted 10/12/2012 3:32:57 PM
thegame216 posted...
well from most casual people i've spoken to, the problems seem to be that unless they're high budget franchise like FF or kingdom hearts, the average joe won't even look their way. which explians the absymal sales of even greatly received titles such as xenoblade. people can say what they want about casuals/mainstream, but the point remains that games do need to sell to make profit and see some incentive to make an sequel. for example, nier seems to be highly praised here, but most people outside gfaqs dog this game. and the result? cavier was shut down.

People on gamefaqs or on the internet aren't the majority. Most people don't even know what a jrpg is. Now they might know what FF, KH, and Pokemon is but that's it. Jrpgs never been popular to begin with. They always had a niche following with the exception of a few games. The only difference between now and then is the fact that jrpg aren't "cool" anymore. Some of the people who did like jrpgs find them stale because they fail to evolve or be well executed.

Xenoblade did pretty well. It did better in the US than in the EU in fact. Even Reggie is consider bringing the next Monolith Soft title because he was pleased. Not all jrpgs need to sell a million to be consider a success. Besides the game is very well praised by critics and gamers a like (rightfully so).
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#15Baha05Posted 10/12/2012 3:34:46 PM
Honestly I found them to have been played out two generations ago when the market was over saturated with JRPGS
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#16superbowl54Posted 10/12/2012 3:35:51 PM
thegame216 posted...
superbowl54 posted...
they're niche and often take too long to complete for most people's tastes.

JRPGs live and die by the strengths of their characters and stories, given the many effeminate males and just out-there stories (especially when they to take themselves seriously), it gets hard to like them, but if you do, you're sucked in.

Also, because people tend to categorize JRPGs as "Final Fantasy", but that series has been garbage for a looooooong while, so when bad games are at the forefront (looking at you, FFXIII), it makes the entire genre look bad.

There's also the fact that this gen, WRPGs have really upped their game. The Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, Alpha Protocol, etc are pretty awesome and are usually are set in a more "realistic" world.

thats weird, because FF XIII appears to be well received by a ton of user rankings on multiple sites such as GFAQ, metacritic, amazon, etc. and the game garnered two sequels so i can't see how FF damaged the genre. if anything, its the only thing keeping it relevant in the eyes of the populace. because lets face it, nobody cares about the personas, tales of, etc. outside the niche crowd.

it's cuz it's a HUGE name, and it's fans are the loudest.

Square was intent on making several games in the FFXIII universe at the start of this gen. Look it up, Project Nova Chrystalis or something like that.

I didn't say it damaged the genre, I just said that it being at the forefront in most people's eyes hurts the genre. I totally understand most people aren't going to dig deep to find better games, but I guarantee if it didn't have "Final Fantasy" in the name, it would have tanked, and hard.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Uncharted 3, Metro 2033, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, Dragon's Dogma
#17MoegittoPosted 10/12/2012 3:44:28 PM
People see the lack of interest in the "leading" JRPG makers big name project as a sign of the changing times. Example: If burger king starts to make a new type of burger that people aren't impressed with, then they will go to McDonalds. McDonalds may not be the best, but it feels their burger needs. People not interested in JRPG's but still wanting a RPG are starting to look at the WRPG market now, especially since Fallout 3. WRPG's seem to have came a long way since Diablo and Fallout 1, giving consumers everything they want in a RPG (Story, Character Growth, teammates/party members, and exploration). I won't say all WRPG's are great, and some are downright embarrassing. But JRPG's have fallen into the "JPOP" culture and most people actually hate that type of style.
#18KOTRsssPosted 10/12/2012 3:49:05 PM
Because JRPGs are losing traction in the west and have been ever since Square and Enix merged.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#19huyiPosted 10/12/2012 8:13:07 PM
Heavy_D_Forever posted...
JRPG's are boring and lame.

---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#20BokuxPicoPosted 10/12/2012 8:14:42 PM
Same reason shmups and 2d platformers are irrelevant these days. Stagnant genres that are on life support.