This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else pissed that we have been robbed of turn based JRPGs on Playstation?

#451AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 4:47:04 PM
Wanna know why the PS3 is coming in last place this gen?

No proper turn based JRPGs.

I bought the PS3 for turn based JRPGs back in 2007 and I still have not gotten ONE, NOT F-ING ONE GREAT TURN BASED JRPG!!!!!!!

Why the hell do you guys think I'm so negative on this board? Playstation used to be about turn based JRPGs, but they suddenly abandoned them this gen.
---
The song is called "Baba O' Riley", NOT "Teenage Wasteland".
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#452AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 3:42:59 AM
reading about Mana and Suikoden and Shining and Shadow Hearts and wild Arms and .hack and Grandia and Breath of Fire in Game Informer right now.

Geez, consoles are missing so many classic franchises, it is quite sad.
---
#453methosagainPosted 10/24/2012 3:59:56 AM
I like to see more JRPGS, but I much rather WRPGS of the caliber of the Witcher 2 to more TB JRPGS if they are just more Anime looking drivel
#454Devilman_AmonPosted 10/24/2012 4:05:37 AM
AXKSION posted...

I bought the PS3 for turn based JRPGs back in 2007 and I still have not gotten ONE, NOT F-ING ONE GREAT TURN BASED JRPG!!!!!!!

Why the hell do you guys think I'm so negative on this board? Playstation used to be about turn based JRPGs, but they suddenly abandoned them this gen.

Microsoft tried to snag all the JRPG's a year before PS3 came out and they crashed so hard the Japanese developers got scared and ran to the handhelds plus FF XIII was nowhere done at the time and a lot of developers look to S-E in the past to set the trends. When FF took so long to make and cost so much to make and then it was a hallway fest because "towns are too hard", as well as Western gamers and critics bashing it to hell the Japanese developers said "ah **** it let's just stick to handhelds & focus on Japan gamers only then not worth the time & money let's play it nicey nice safe"

And now they've gotten even more scared and are now making social games on mobile phones
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#455Devilman_AmonPosted 10/24/2012 4:10:11 AM(edited)
methosagain posted...
I like to see more JRPGS, but I much rather WRPGS of the caliber of the Witcher 2 to more TB JRPGS if they are just more Anime looking drivel

There's no variety in WRPGs they are all single character hack n slashes or trying to merge shooters into RPGs EIther way both real time action.

With JRPG, you got action RPG, Turn based RPG, SRPG, RTS, Anime, realistic, single character, party control etc.

WRPG it's all one character only (with Dragon Age being the exception) and action based with dark and gloomy serious bizness designs (with Costume Quest & South Park being the exception)
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#456AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 4:13:51 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
AXKSION posted...

Microsoft tried to snag all the JRPG's a year before PS3 came out and they crashed so hard the Japanese developers got scared and ran to the handhelds plus FF XIII was nowhere done at the time and a lot of developers look to S-E in the past to set the trends. When FF took so long to make and cost so much to make and then it was a hallway fest because "towns are too hard", as well as Western gamers and critics bashing it to hell the Japanese developers said "ah **** it let's just stick to handhelds & focus on Japan gamers only then not worth the time & money let's play it nicey nice safe"

And now they've gotten even more scared and are now making social games on mobile phones

I still am unsure whether Japanese developers understand that Xbox 360 is for little childrens who like pewpew games.

RPG (not Skyrim) that is released on both PS3 and 360 will sell at least twice more on PlayStation. Case in point with Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XIII. FFXIII-2 sold 4x as much on ps3 than 360.

And Japanese devs base JRPG trends on the 360?

No wonder this entire gen is in the gutter. Video games this gen are guttertrash. (few exceptions of course).
---
#457Devilman_AmonPosted 10/24/2012 4:18:45 AM
AXKSION posted...

I still am unsure whether Japanese developers understand that Xbox 360 is for little childrens who like pewpew games.

RPG (not Skyrim) that is released on both PS3 and 360 will sell at least twice more on PlayStation. Case in point with Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XIII. FFXIII-2 sold 4x as much on ps3 than 360.

No wonder this entire gen is in the gutter. Video games this gen are guttertrash. (few exceptions of course).

Well I guess they realized something because there hasn't been a Microsoft exclusive JRPG in years. They gave up or M$ gave up trying. I really don't know what the developers were thinking though because Microsoft has never sold well in Japan and the Western gamers that use M$ don't really care that much about JRPGs.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#458AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 4:24:01 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
AXKSION posted...

Well I guess they realized something because there hasn't been a Microsoft exclusive JRPG in years. They gave up or M$ gave up trying. I really don't know what the developers were thinking though because Microsoft has never sold well in Japan and the Western gamers that use M$ don't really care that much about JRPGs.

I guess I am warming up to Ninokuni after reading the article in GI, although I am not happy with the character designs. Still, it looks like almost what I am looking for. Wish the main character was cool, like Crono.

And South Park in March, which looks fantastic and I saw gameplay footage in Michael Pachter's weekly video blog thingy.

turn based -

Jan: Ninokuni

March: South Park (can't believe it that there is actually going to be a South Park JRPG! Sew awesome!)

and not turn based, but Tales of Xillia.

So, I may play all 3. dunno yet
---
#459godslayer61Posted 10/24/2012 4:36:41 AM
AXKSION posted...
gtaking5 posted...
No. turn based games, in general are quite boring.

No. Grand Theft Auto is boring. Same with Clone of Duty Mundane Warfare and all generic shooties.

Great turn based JRPGs are fun as f*** and not boring in the least.

i agree love jrpgs not boring and bare gta and cod games
---
psn-kish1975
#460TiaelPosted 10/24/2012 7:03:13 AM(edited)
AXKSION posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
AXKSION posted...

I guess I am warming up to Ninokuni after reading the article in GI, although I am not happy with the character designs. Still, it looks like almost what I am looking for. Wish the main character was cool, like Crono.

And South Park in March, which looks fantastic and I saw gameplay footage in Michael Pachter's weekly video blog thingy.

turn based -

Jan: Ninokuni

March: South Park (can't believe it that there is actually going to be a South Park JRPG! Sew awesome!)

and not turn based, but Tales of Xillia.

So, I may play all 3. dunno yet

At least you seem to be turning around on NNK.
It was a good article.
And I like the characters and Oliver's art.
Really, Oliver could be considered the worse, there's other characters but Esther is fine and Swaine is an adult.

Regardless, the game is watching him mature and grow up after the tragedy that hits him, and overcome many barriers and obstacles.
It is a coming of age story, as are a lot of Ghibli films before it, and is for the young as well as the young at heart. (though the game may be complex for the young)
And you actually care about the characters.

It reminds me a lot of this gens DQVIII, but somehow more magical, as I've also grown up watching Ghibli films.

And Drippy, he's awesome, you really do need to see some of his dialogue.
He reminds me of Yangus in a way.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!