This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else pissed that we have been robbed of turn based JRPGs on Playstation?

#471SieKensouPosted 10/24/2012 6:15:11 PM
471!!!!
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#472MasterthiefPosted 10/24/2012 6:30:47 PM
Yeah man the classics are gone. that Game Informer article is freaking hilarious, they try to give you examples of games to play this gen in place of the classics.

Ex: If you like Grandia, play Penny Arcade; if you like Suikoden, play Growlanser.

It just shows how far off the map we've got, this gen games can't touch the classics, you've got to be kidding me, people be losing their minds. You could go into any game store in the 90's - blindfolded, pick up a game, and you have a REALLY good chance of hitting the jackpot. Today, exactly opposite - the lowest creativity, intellect, and game designing ability I have ever witnessed in gaming period.
---
PSN - Ferkomatic
#473agrissaPosted 10/24/2012 6:50:44 PM
Masterthief posted...
Today, exactly opposite - the lowest creativity, intellect, and game designing ability I have ever witnessed in gaming period.

I totally agree. It's not just JRPGs that are suffering......it's pretty much every genre. Except pew pew games I guess.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#474AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 7:07:24 PM
After playing through the Dark Souls DLC, whenever it may be that I finish, I am going to give the Persona series a shot.

I am going to start with Persona 3 portable, since that seems to be like the first up to date version, since the older versions look like they have not aged well at all.

Will I like Persona? Is the combat like FF7-9????????????????????????????

Or is it a weird style of turn based ATB? That is why I hate modern JRPGs because they have weird "innovative / evolved" combat systems. (I use the terms innovative and evolved very loosely since modern combat systems are subpar for the most part)
---
The song is called "Baba O' Riley", NOT "Teenage Wasteland".
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#475AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 7:33:13 PM
So, is the Persona series like awesome classic turn based JRPGs?

Does Persona have the same level of epicness as say, something like Xenogears, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII?

Or is this a weird low budget niche JRPG with loli?
---
#476Devilman_AmonPosted 10/24/2012 7:36:14 PM
AXKSION posted...

Does Persona have the same level of epicness as say, something like Xenogears, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII?

I would bet on the former more than the latter though I never got that much into Persona. I remember the two PS1 games (not the first one) were pretty good though. They are adding a lot of new content with the Persona 4 Gold Vita version though. My PS2 outlet broke so I can't finish Persona 3 & 4 anyway.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#477AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 7:41:31 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
AXKSION posted...

I would bet on the former more than the latter though I never got that much into Persona. I remember the two PS1 games (not the first one) were pretty good though. They are adding a lot of new content with the Persona 4 Gold Vita version though. My PS2 outlet broke so I can't finish Persona 3 & 4 anyway.

Too bad Vita does not have any must have games, nor have any been announced.

If any turn based games on the same level as classic Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger came out, that might influence me to buy one. I really hate all the generic shallow games the Vita library seems to be full of.

Sony needs to get it through their thick skull that people love RPGs. HOWEVER, they must be great RPGs and not garbage like Dungeon Hunter Alliance or RPGs that score like 6 or below.

I want AAA blockbuster high budget great quality JRPGs. WRPGs like Baldur's Gate Vita and Diablo (not sucky Diablo 3), Champions of Norrath, etc. would also be great (although they're not turn based, I still adore these classic WRPGs).
---
#478Resident WeevilPosted 10/24/2012 7:57:50 PM
AXKSION posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
AXKSION posted...

I still am unsure whether Japanese developers understand that Xbox 360 is for little childrens who like pewpew games.

RPG (not Skyrim) that is released on both PS3 and 360 will sell at least twice more on PlayStation. Case in point with Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XIII. FFXIII-2 sold 4x as much on ps3 than 360.

And Japanese devs base JRPG trends on the 360?

No wonder this entire gen is in the gutter. Video games this gen are guttertrash. (few exceptions of course).

Well I guess they realized something because there hasn't been a Microsoft exclusive JRPG in years. They gave up or M$ gave up trying. I really don't know what the developers were thinking though because Microsoft has never sold well in Japan and the Western gamers that use M$ don't really care that much about JRPGs.

I guess I am warming up to Ninokuni after reading the article in GI, although I am not happy with the character designs. Still, it looks like almost what I am looking for. Wish the main character was cool, like Crono.

And South Park in March, which looks fantastic and I saw gameplay footage in Michael Pachter's weekly video blog thingy.

turn based -

Jan: Ninokuni

March: South Park (can't believe it that there is actually going to be a South Park JRPG! Sew awesome!)

and not turn based, but Tales of Xillia.

So, I may play all 3. dunno yet

I would not call Ninokuni turnbased. Have you seen battle gameplay? It's like WKC.
---
HP and MP restored!
...but you're still hungry
#479AXKSION(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 8:00:04 PM
Resident Weevil posted...
I would not call Ninokuni turnbased. Have you seen battle gameplay? It's like WKC.

No, I have not seen gameplay.

Other people keep saying it is turn based, so I dunno, that is all I am going on.

I heard that you can move around in Ninokuni, and I do NOT like that aspect one bit. Hope I can play it like oldschool RPGs, by just not moving my characters around at all during battle.

I also hope there is DLC for a character skin for Oliver, since he is an awful looking main character. They should have made him look more like Crono, or badass like it.
---
#480Devilman_AmonPosted 10/24/2012 8:03:48 PM
AXKSION posted...
Resident Weevil posted...

No, I have not seen gameplay.

Other people keep saying it is turn based, so I dunno, that is all I am going on.

I heard that you can move around in Ninokuni, and I do NOT like that aspect one bit. Hope I can play it like oldschool RPGs, by just not moving my characters around at all during battle.

I also hope there is DLC for a character skin for Oliver, since he is an awful looking main character. They should have made him look more like Crono, or badass like it.

The intro story is kinda sad. He's really just a normal kid from a suburb.

I guess the intended appeal was kinda like those Nintendo "Mother" RPG's of old' that people raved about back in the day. Ever play those? (Earthbound)
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)