This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon Souls and Dark Souls are INCREDIBLY overrated games....

#21gtaking5Posted 11/4/2012 12:11:26 AM
"Better" is a subjective term. But because I can I'll name a few games that are "Better" than Demon's Souls

1. Minecraft
2. GTA IV
3. Batman: Arkham City(I actually thought the Arkham games were stupid, until I got Arkham City the other day from a friend)
4. Terraria
5. Green Day Rock Band
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Skyrim
8. Assassin's Creed 2
9. Tales of Graces f
10. inFAMOUS2

See? "better" is a subjective term, and if you try and argue with me you'll just make yourself look like an idiot, because you can't argue with subjective things.

*the list is in no order, the numbers are just to make it look neat*
---
Shut your mouth 'cause you're talking too much
And I don't give a f*** anyway
#22TheMeanRockPosted 11/4/2012 12:11:59 AM
In a generation of coddling crappy players and pandering to the lowest common denominator, Demon/Dark Souls was a breath of fresh ****ing air.

Ill look back on them more fondly than any other games this gen i think.
---
Judge not, that you be not judged.
Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
#23Ninja4HPosted 11/4/2012 12:16:05 AM
The over-flamboyant and annoying DS fanboys have done the game harm. Whilst I personally didn't get into the games, I respect them for what they are, and the series should attain cult status in the following gens...

...but sweet effing jesus the fanboys make me hate the games.
---
"Riding the Lightning"
PSN - VoodooPimp138 {-} MGO - thelastninja
#24KeyeszxPosted 11/4/2012 12:20:00 AM
gtaking5 posted...
"Better" is a subjective term. But because I can I'll name a few games that are "Better" than Demon's Souls

1. Minecraft
2. GTA IV
3. Batman: Arkham City(I actually thought the Arkham games were stupid, until I got Arkham City the other day from a friend)
4. Terraria
5. Green Day Rock Band
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Skyrim
8. Assassin's Creed 2
9. Tales of Graces f
10. inFAMOUS2

See? "better" is a subjective term, and if you try and argue with me you'll just make yourself look like an idiot, because you can't argue with subjective things.

inFAMOUS 2, another game that failed compared to it's original. Sure the general gameplay improved but the story was sloppy and none of the choices felt like they made an impact like they did in inFAMOUS. Also the game is incredibly easy and offers no challenge. It's just a parkour game with electric powers.
Skyrim is crap, I really don't have enough characters in any post to explain why. Just know that I've been playing it since Morrowind.
Really, you're listing a Rock Band. You're not being objective about this at all.

The only games I will admit to being equals to Demon's Souls is Terraria and Minecraft, despite how much I dislike it due to my inability to create what I visualize in my head.

Other answers I would have accepted would have been most 90s and 80s games.
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#25KeyeszxPosted 11/4/2012 12:25:26 AM
TC you need to learn to look at things objectively. What I tend to do is look at whether I can respect that game whether I hate it or like it. Like minecraft. I hate it subjectively but I can respect what they were doing and what they wanted to do with it. If they got that right then it's a game worth respect.

I never played Tales of Graces so I can't comment on that. But the other games you listed didn't really try to do anything new and stuck to the same old pattern. Assassin's Creed 2 improved upon the first but it didn't bring anything new to the table really. The mechanics aren't that interesting or unique.

Games that strive to be different are games worth GotY material. Demon's Souls having done that is one of those games. Dark Souls, not so much imo. It may be a sequel but it lost too much in the transition to 360.
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#26gtaking5Posted 11/4/2012 12:51:13 AM(edited)
I was never being objective. I was being subjective from the start. Because like I said words like "better" and "good" are usually almost always subjective(unless referring to skill). Video Games, music, art, etc. all follow the subjective way of thinking, and as such, I'm right, you're wrong, I win, you lose, subjective is better than objective, I'm going to sleep.

Also I'm gonna kinda agree with you about Minecraft and Terraria. Only problems I have are that I have trouble bringing my visualizations to life. So I usually just play Minecraft as a survival game, only doing mass buildings when I get bored. Terraria I play it the way the developers wanted it to be played, as an action adventure game, so no worries there.
---
Hanging out all by myself, at least I'm in good company
#27ElectricMolePosted 11/4/2012 12:52:33 AM
Scarecrow1711 posted...
One of THE worst purchases I've made this gen.

*puts sticky white stuff on my scraping spear*
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#28AXKSIONPosted 11/4/2012 1:09:52 AM
spectermaster14 posted...
Demons Souls was great because it was a breath of fresh air for RPGs but just gaming in general, it came out at a time where there was hardly no RPGs for PS3 and everything was too easy plus the Online was unique and awesome.

Dark Souls evolved upon that. If you can't appreciate either of them then stick with CoD.

The exact reason people hate DS fans.

stick with your Garbage of Duty, oh casual gamer, you.

gtaking5 posted...

1. Minecraft
2. GTA IV
4. Terraria
5. Green Day Rock Band
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Skyrim
8. Assassin's Creed 2
9. Tales of Graces f
10. inFAMOUS2

Tales of Graces F is pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as the D Souls games. All the other games you listed suck pretty much. GTA IV????? That is the very worst of the GTA games. Your post is a f***ing joke.

Ninja4H posted...
The over-flamboyant and annoying DS fanboys have done the game harm. Whilst I personally didn't get into the games, I respect them for what they are, and the series should attain cult status in the following gens...

...but sweet effing jesus the fanboys make me hate the games.

if you like other casual crappy games from this gen, doesn't that make you more flamboyant though, like super flamboyant?
---
The song is called "Baba O' Riley", NOT "Teenage Wasteland".
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#29Soul_IntruderPosted 11/4/2012 1:13:50 AM
I loved Demon's Souls when it came out, beat it numerous times and played it for a total of around 150 hours but even after a two year break I just can't go back to it. I played the game just yesterday, starting as a Temple Knight and I immediately got bored and frustrated. The game is so trivial when you realize the challenge boils down to reading enemy patterns, memorizing level hazards and struggling with the limited controls.

The combat is pretty cumbersome and there's little freedom with what kind of attacks you can do with each weapon. For example, I can't even do a thrust attack with the halberd, I can only do horizontal and vertical swings. Demon's Souls has weapon collisions (attacks get interrupted by walls) and tight corridors so it's pretty important that you should be able to determine the direction of your attacks.

It's also very frustrating that you can't sprint away from an enemy while you're locked on to him, you can only roll away, and rolling is not a viable option for characters who use heavy equipment. Back-step dodging can only be executed while you're standing still, so I couldn't make much use of that either. I have to repeatedly disengage target lock to run away then pan the screen around and look for the target to regain lock. And the lock on is pretty important, otherwise your character's attacks won't reliably connect with the enemy. The boss fights with Tower Knight, Maneater, Flamelurker and False King aren't challenges for strategy or reflexes, they're just challenges for having to struggle with the camera/movement/lock on system.

I think I only liked Demon's Souls as much as I did because it was different, but when I look back to it there's just severe shortcomings in the combat alone and it's primarily because of the limited controls.
#30ace_two_maxPosted 11/4/2012 1:24:07 AM
So you didn't like it due to it not handing your hand? and you dying every 5 minute.... 2 minutes?

GOTY.
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!