This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't the PS3 get a killer exclusive like Nintendo or Microsoft?

#41DamorahTalsetPosted 11/7/2012 9:10:26 PM(edited)
PastyPCNerd posted...
aaasdjfkldsfk posted...
Nintendo has Super Smash Bros.

Microsoft has Halo

These games both have quality and quantity that Sony exclusives can only dream of. These games are basically played forever, until the next installment is released, there are whole dedicated communities for them and they are by far the ultimate party or multiplayer games.

Sales, Reviews and popularity wise they also completely annhilate anything Sony has to offer.

Sony has nothing like this or anything that even comes close to it. No I'm not talking about decent games you play once and then everyone forgets about within a year or two. I'm talking about timeless games like Halo and Smash Bros. I'm saying Sony has nothing on THAT level.

halo bombed. it's metascore is only 5.5. the only other games on xbox are gears and forza

only manchildren and grandmas play nintendo

gt5, littlebigplanet, god of war, uncharted, and more sold millions

your trolling sucks..

halo still bombed

Halo didn't bomb, now you're just trolling. If you actually look at those negative USER reviews they're either trolling, ignorant or both. There's few that are actually legit. Also, every modern FPS owes its existence to Halo: CE, especially CoD. It changed FPS games.

You're also only mentioning the lower number out of the two for your own benefit. Halo 4 recieved an 87/100 from critic reviews, and it would be over 90 if it weren't for the one troll review.
---
I don't a fondness to Borat. I don't how it did outrageous; haven't they ever interneted? We have Goat's Sea and Celebrating Lemons. - Gandob
#42plasticman13Posted 11/7/2012 9:11:40 PM
I don't know why, but topics like these are always posted around the time a new Halo game comes out. I vividly remember this exact topic by a different user back when Reach came out. I think there was one during ODST's launch as well.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#43paralyzed21Posted 11/7/2012 9:14:28 PM
resistance and gran turismo

nuff said
---
http://www.wearethepanicdivision.com | http://www.facebook.com/thepanicdivision
---
#44plasticman13Posted 11/7/2012 9:15:33 PM
^Resistance? Really now..?
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#45fadecaPosted 11/7/2012 9:17:17 PM
Xbots always pop up and troll whenever a new Failo game comes out, that and Gears of War is all they have, what other reason is there to own an xbox without those two games?
#46DamorahTalsetPosted 11/7/2012 9:19:37 PM(edited)
plasticman13 posted...
I don't know why, but topics like these are always posted around the time a new Halo game comes out. I vividly remember this exact topic by a different user back when Reach came out. I think there was one during ODST's launch as well.

That they do, mostly on the PS3 and/or COD boards. COD fans also try to troll the Halo boards because apparently they think their precious franchise is threatened that's the same game every year which owes its existence to Halo. Granted, Halo fans also go to the COD boards.

Before anyone says anything, I enjoy both games on occasion but I'm not overly fond of either.
---
I don't a fondness to Borat. I don't how it did outrageous; haven't they ever interneted? We have Goat's Sea and Celebrating Lemons. - Gandob
#47faris_ruhiPosted 11/7/2012 9:20:42 PM(edited)
TC, if you want to talk about sales and games people still play.

Gran Turismo 5. 9+ million sales, people are still playing it as well because PD is still supporting the game and updating it pretty much every other month.

And that's without GT5 prologue sales numbers.

AND it has popularity, pretty much every person who has even heard of the playstation knows about Gran Turismo.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Backlog on hold. Currently playing: Halo 4
#48the_requiemPosted 11/7/2012 9:21:33 PM
aaasdjfkldsfk posted...
firefoxts5 posted...
aaasdjfkldsfk posted...
DarthNAS4 posted...
God of War is pretty sweet.
So is Killzone.
Grand Turismo is cool.

Key word: "pretty"

They aren't timeless. They aren't ultimate party games that even casual gamers love.

Do your friends go up to you and say "hey let's together to play God of War and Grand Turismo"?!

Nope. But they will say that about Halo and Smash. People are always more hyped for the next Halo or Smash than pretty much every Sony exclusive combined.

Sony does have MORE exclusives, but none of them are anywhere near that level.

because ms fanboys love crappy games. if you have a problem with it then go to the 360 board troll.

If you find Halo crappy then you find every multiplayer console FPS ever crappy.

Because Halo is as good as it gets. It's not even an argument.

Killzone can't compare. There's literally nothing it does better. That's why Halo outsells it 5-1.

Justin Bieber outsells everyone else. Your point?
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-10, Sal-25
#49Foxxie_kunPosted 11/7/2012 10:12:36 PM
Big point being, Halo is a multiplayer CONSOLE FPS, there's nothing Halo can or may do that can top classic multiplayer shooters like Quake or Unreal. These franchises also fell into disfavor because their developers tried to pander to the console shooter audience instead of doing what they've always done best. UT3 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars were major disappointments because of deviation from the established norms and attempts to integrate a more Halo-ish feel. I'm sure many console gamers wouldn't be singing the praises of Halo or CoD/Medal of Honor/Battlefield if they had had some of the greats among them, like UT2k4 or Quake 3 and whatnot.

But I digress, Halo is as generic as it gets as far as sci-fi multiplayer FPS go. Hostile aliens? Check. Super WMD capable of destroying all sentient life? Check. Major twist about a fungal/viral/spore-like creature that can infest any sentient life? Well, that's a little original, if you think fungus zombies are that cool...

As far as Smash goes, its major function is a quick and easy party fighting game that focuses entirely on ring-outs rather than health bars (For the most part), that for the most part anyone can get into for a few rounds.

Sony has some big potential, but I admit it's largely untapped. Thus far, I don't think Sony has looked at the prospect of creating their own new IP that doesn't try to be something else, yet. From what I've seen, Sony's been trying to make the "Halo Killer" far too often. God of War was amazing because it took the familiar action beat-em-up formula of games like Devil May Cry, and put it in a unique twist on Greek Myth.

Then there's that Sony Ultimate All Stars game. One look at it and the layman will think "This premise sounds a lot like Smash Bros.", and that's setting themselves up for failure. You're always going to start under the shadow of the greatest competitor if you try to mimic it in any way that can be deemed similar by first-glances, regardless of if your end-product is vastly different in style, theme, or function.

Another thing, Nintendo has the market pretty much cornered as far as Icons go. Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, Sonic, heck the only iconic characters nintendo doesn't own is more because they aren't interested in Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, or -Insert protagonists of Killzone series here-. The major ~exclusives~ Microsoft and Sony can cling to are the hardened military types, while Nintendo has exclusives that range from Italian Plumbers to Femme Fatale bounty huntresses in power armor..

If there are to be exclusives worth anything from Sony, it'll have to be an all-new IP that doesn't start under the shadow of another company's iconic brands. Why try to be like someone else and fail, when you can be the only one who can be yourself correctly?
---
Want a great site for trainers and cheats for PC games?
Try the cheat happens website.
#50PsyrenCallPosted 11/7/2012 10:19:57 PM
Not going to take sides, but in the case of Microsoft its due to aggressive attempts to get their hands on a hardcore title that would bring the fans in early on. They've done a poor job maintaining any exclusives since. With Nintendo it's entirely due to the fact that Nintendo is a game developer first and a console developer second. Of the three main console developers, only Nintendo is an actual developer. The others own studios and have their own IPs, but Nintendo is purely a game maker.

As for Sony, they have plenty of great exclusives. InFamous, God of War, Uncharted, Killzone, Gran Turismo and a few others. Only real downside is their first party IPs aren't particularly memorable in comparison to Halo or Mario. It's weird to say, but it feels like Sony IPs have less longevity in comparison to the exclusive IPs of the other console developers. In the case of Microsoft it's not by a large amount, in the case of Nintendo it's definite, but only because everything lacks longevity by comparison.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!