This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So my 50 year old aunt...

#61MourningReignsPosted 11/8/2012 5:00:45 PM(edited)
I honestly think, as I said early, you should go with Silent Hill. My mom enjoys it, mainly because it doesn't require a lot of twitch decisions or you aren't constantly fighting enemies. It's more methodical, it has story in it, and usually focuses on exploration or puzzles.

You probably could tell her to get the HD collection for cheap, then try Downpour. Even better, since she's not used to gaming nowadays, she won't notice the framerate problems.

EDIT: While some are saying Heavy Rain, I'd disagree. The control scheme is wonky for people that don't play games, sometimes you are forced into tense situation of pressing buttons quickly...once again, not something great for a person that hasn't used controllers all their life.

You gotta remember, non gamers aren't used to these controllers or video game logic. It has to be a slower pace where they can adjust. It's not something that happens a few minutes in.

LA Noire would work, as I know you can skip parts that are shooting based.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#62cymanxPosted 11/8/2012 5:09:57 PM
jubjub360 posted...
cymanx posted...
MourningReigns posted...
cymanx posted...
Jason_Hudson posted...
You have CoD coming out on Tuesday, start on that.

Yeah, starte her up on a game that is completely lacking of taste and style, that makes sense. Seriously, go back to the corner with the rest of the Call of Duty fans.

I didn't know we had a girl gamer in this thread.

Let me ask you one thing. If you were looking for advice to buy a car, and you had to either ask the guy driving the PT Cruiser, the guy driving the Prius, or the guy driving the Jaguar... Which car owner would ask out of the three? If I want to play a FPS, I'd easily choose the Half-Life franchise over the Call of Duty franchise. Half-Life offers me what I value the most, style and taste. I'm sorry, but call of duty is old and boring... And frankly speaking, I could think of a dozen first person shooters to recommend to a fifty year old gamer over Call of Duty any day of the week. If you think that guys should never have style and taste, then you must live a very narrow existence. And besides, Call of Duty is a kid's game. If you want a man's game, play Half-Life. It has a unique story, enough mods to make it truly spectacular, and fun weapons!

Wow man what's your problem? You make gamers look bad. CoD would be pretty good to start her out on. It's a very simple game and she's probably never played a game. This isn't about you so shut up.

If that were true, then there would be a forum full of people who "make gamers look bad". There are games that are simple that are easily three to ten times better then Call of Duty. You can ask anyone, and I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of the gamers in the world would agree with me.
---
Maybe if we talk to the television, and know everything there is to know about football, that our favorite team will make it to the super bowl...
#63ElBorak77Posted 11/8/2012 5:10:13 PM
GuitaristMatt posted...
ElBorak77 posted...
50 is not old.

50 is old for a lot of people, though I have a 50 year old aunt and she definitely isn't old yet.

it's relative. if you're 20, 50 may seem old but it's not. people live into their 80's, 90's and longer. so maybe 70 is old.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#64MourningReignsPosted 11/8/2012 5:11:08 PM
cymanx posted...

If that were true, then there would be a forum full of people who "make gamers look bad".

You're in it right now.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#65DisturbedIcon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 5:15:08 PM
The only reason I said "old" for the record, is for me old is someone double my age and not within my "generation".

As for Heavy Rain and the button configurations I know if you put it at very easy all you have to do is push like a trigger for every single sequence making it incredibly easy if it came to that sort of problem for her.
---
Disturbing GameFAQs since 2002...
GamerTag:
Rah514/ PSN: Rah-514
#66cymanxPosted 11/8/2012 5:23:29 PM
MourningReigns posted...
cymanx posted...

If that were true, then there would be a forum full of people who "make gamers look bad".

You're in it right now.

And I do believe a majority of them do play call of duty.
---
Maybe if we talk to the television, and know everything there is to know about football, that our favorite team will make it to the super bowl...
#67JoveHackPosted 11/8/2012 5:24:47 PM
MourningReigns posted...
I honestly think, as I said early, you should go with Silent Hill. My mom enjoys it, mainly because it doesn't require a lot of twitch decisions or you aren't constantly fighting enemies. It's more methodical, it has story in it, and usually focuses on exploration or puzzles.

Yes. When I'm a little older than DisturbedIcon's aunt. When I got back into gaming (on the PS2, in the last decade), QuickTime Events were horrors unimaginable. Just getting down the control scheme was tough enough, without having to keep button labels memorized.

You gotta remember, non gamers aren't used to these controllers or video game logic. It has to be a slower pace where they can adjust. It's not something that happens a few minutes in.

Adventure games would work, and maybe Katamari Damacy.

Another great advantage is learning games in a series. Generally the control scheme and puzzle-types stay about the same, meaning you're becoming a better player as the series goes along. After a couple of games you'll be playing like a seasoned gamer.

The Ratchet and Clank games work here, but the platforming's probably too tough for a complete newb.

I come back again to the LEGO games, which I initially recommended, and EVILBRENDA, cymanx, and theshoveller also agreed on.

As theshoveller wrote, "Infinite lives and lighthearted gameplay make for a good combination."

Lots of replaying levels to once they're unlocked, to find all the collectables. Replay is good at this point, being able to go through a level without having to learn it from scratch every time. Getting better and better as the game goes along.

The drop-in/drop-out co-op means the little cousins can join in when and as they wish (or vice versa). Since there are tons of LEGO games, once she learns the basics that's a lot of gameplay hours she can concentrate on enjoying the game, instead of constantly hitting the wrong buttons.

There will still be some frustrating moments, particularly when having to platform or build while under attack, but it's all acceptable.

Most of the games have female characters you can play as, which may be a selling point for the aunt. (See, you're a female, assembled from plastic constructin bits.)

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LEGO Batman: The Videogame
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
LEGO The Lord of the Rings
(not yet released)

So it's not just "maybe this game will work", but "if this works, she'll be set for a long, long time." If she ever gets frustrated with different games, there will almost certainly be LEGO game she'll be happy to start (or go back to).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#68LeroyliksMudkipPosted 11/8/2012 5:25:42 PM
Buy her the ratchet and clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly collections. Those games are fun and easy. Really I think she should start with platforming games or games with platforming elements, cus that's how I started and they are really easy to get into.
#69Devilman_AmonPosted 11/8/2012 5:38:47 PM
ColorfulColors posted...
You're lucky. My Aunt thought the Playstation was an expensive sex toy.

Is she hot?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#70cymanxPosted 11/9/2012 5:58:48 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
ColorfulColors posted...
You're lucky. My Aunt thought the Playstation was an expensive sex toy.

Is she hot?

Even better idea, buy her an eye toy for PS2. XD
---