This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTA5 will have three protagonists

#71ChaoticKnucklesPosted 11/8/2012 3:01:22 PM
jubjub360 posted...
What makes you think you know anything about me? Ignoring racism is exactly what allows it to propagate.

Hmm... maybe that you attempted to belittle me because I thought someone dug too deep into the meaning behind what he was saying? Just because you try to find racism in everything doesn't mean that there is. I hope you're not Jesse Jackson.

Fair enough about belittling you, I'll admit that it wasn't called for. However I'm not trying to find the racism there, it's right beneath the surface. The assumption that this new protagonist is a "ghetto gang banger" based on seeing one picture of him is proof of that. There isn't racism in everything that people say or do, but when it IS there, sweeping it under the rug and acting like it's a personal issue that the person who noticed it has instead of acknowledging the fact that it's there does no one any good.

Just because "I hate black people!" wasn't typed in all caps doesn't mean there isn't a racist tone to pretty much all that user's posts so far. This is what people with racist attitudes do. They say or do something that is borderline racist and then try to back peddle and claim that "Oh, I'm not racist because I didn't say this or that, I have this many black friends, my sister married a black guy..." etc., etc.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#72OEIO999Posted 11/8/2012 3:01:54 PM
I'm hyped

I was disappointed when I thought the old men, was going to be the only character
#73OEIO999Posted 11/8/2012 3:03:01 PM
HollowEarth2012 posted...
Rockstar hasn't failed me, and I look forward to how they work this out.

This
#74jubjub360Posted 11/8/2012 3:05:30 PM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
jubjub360 posted...
What makes you think you know anything about me? Ignoring racism is exactly what allows it to propagate.

Hmm... maybe that you attempted to belittle me because I thought someone dug too deep into the meaning behind what he was saying? Just because you try to find racism in everything doesn't mean that there is. I hope you're not Jesse Jackson.

Fair enough about belittling you, I'll admit that it wasn't called for. However I'm not trying to find the racism there, it's right beneath the surface. The assumption that this new protagonist is a "ghetto gang banger" based on seeing one picture of him is proof of that. There isn't racism in everything that people say or do, but when it IS there, sweeping it under the rug and acting like it's a personal issue that the person who noticed it has instead of acknowledging the fact that it's there does no one any good.

Just because "I hate black people!" wasn't typed in all caps doesn't mean there isn't a racist tone to pretty much all that user's posts so far. This is what people with racist attitudes do. They say or do something that is borderline racist and then try to back peddle and claim that "Oh, I'm not racist because I didn't say this or that, I have this many black friends, my sister married a black guy..." etc., etc.

Honestly I could see where he is coming from. I remember seeing a cholo in EGM a few years back for GTASA. I think it might be one of the popular pictures. The way he is dressed could be comparable to that and it automatically assuming he's a gang banger.

Take a look at Jessie from Breaking Bad. White guy, baggy pants, talks in ebonics.
Look at Eminem's earlier years. Same s*** as Jessie.

Honestly I seem more white guys act like gang bangers than gang bangers.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
#75RKO_ON_RAWPosted 11/8/2012 3:11:49 PM(edited)
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
jubjub360 posted...

I heard that there was some rich guy who once said that to avoid being accused of racism, you should make company with (paraphrasing): 'well dressed and well speaking intelligent black people'.

There was a video of it somewhere on this channel on youtube called 'the young turks'.

That's a classic racism 101 tactic. I don't think I saw it in this topic but you are right, backpeddling followed by saying "oh yeah I have friends/gf/bf/etc. belonging to that group" therefore I'm not racist.

Edit: Wasn't a rich guy (idk perhaps he is). Was a writer for a conservative magazine. Apparently he did get fired because even the magazine felt his nonsense was too out of line. (i.e the racism was TOO overt).
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/64275451 - Skyrim Level 81 Guide
#76FOXSOLIDPosted 11/8/2012 3:08:28 PM
RKO_ON_RAW posted...
FOXSOLID posted...
RKO_ON_RAW posted...
FOXSOLID posted...
Ghetto is a race now? Think about how stupid you all sound. You're the ones who believe black people are ghetto and are hood rats. Ghetto people come from all walks of life to me.

One of my favorite games this year was Prototype 2....yeah a game with a BLACK main character who wasn't GHETTO.

Look yourselves in the mirror you stereotyping true racists.

Look at the link in the first post. What is it about the guy in the middle that makes him a "stupid, dirty, ghetto gangbanger" as you put it?

1) He doesn't appear to be wearing baggy clothes
2) It's a picture so obviously there's no audio so you can't tell if he speaks ebonics
3) Doesn't appear to be dirty (they all seem pretty clean looking)

I'm on a phone right now, the clarity isn't too great. But the middle guy for some reason reminds me of the way the CJ's crew in SA dressed. Maybe I need to see it on a PC. I don't care if he's black....I just don't want any of that trash in SA.

The other guy just looks like a sloppy dirtbag.

You probably need to see it in better resolution. The leftmost guy I assume is the one you are saying looks like a dirtbag? He's no better or worse dressed up than the other two. (not that it matters)

You're essentially judging them based on appearance and that's a prejudicial attitude to have.

Perhaps it was not your intention to come across as a racist but that's what it looked like to me and a few others in the topic.

I mean when you refer to people wearing baggy clothes that listen to hip-hop and talk ebonics, the majority of that is black people. Then when you refer to the same people as dirty and stupid and trash, one can only draw a logical conclusion that you are being racist.

Anyways once again apologies to chaoticknucles I totally misread that...fail. :S

Yeah the majority ARE black people that use "ebonics" or dress in baggy clothing, but I've seen Hispanics, Asians, Caucasian and others in the same light. It would be no different to me. Everyone is calling me a racist because its mostly black people that it originated from. That's not my problem, not once did I call into question the guy's skin color. I'm just not a fan of that style of dressing or talking. ESPECIALLY the talking, it breeds blatant stupidity and ignorance. It is not COOL to speak improperly no matter who you are.

The middle guy and the right guy on the cover are the most clean cut, you can't say the very left guy and the right guy look the same, that's not even remotely true. He just looks greasy.
#77jubjub360Posted 11/8/2012 3:09:28 PM
I think it's stereotyping it to one culture.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
#78WestcoastMikePosted 11/8/2012 3:12:16 PM
Racism nowhere involved, I think it's fine to judge the characters by their appearance.

The leftmost guy I assume is the one you are saying looks like a dirtbag? He's no better or worse dressed up than the other two.

I mean, what? He's the most simplistically dressed with just a white tee and jeans, and is covered in stains on top of that. You might try and figure maybe it's from whatever misadventure the three may have just been in (if any), but the other two are looking fresh.

Sounds too much like preaching for some unrealistic equality. First impressions are a thing. I'm not saying to go out and start judging people by a quick glance, but in this instance we're talking about a created character who was likely made to look that way for reason.
---
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/picturelink/Rule_of_Rose.png
#79gilv3rPosted 11/8/2012 3:14:58 PM
I think this could work out well. I think after GTAIV we dont just want a GTA3HD again.
---
PC/PS3
Playing: Okami HD
#80RKO_ON_RAWPosted 11/8/2012 3:17:04 PM
WestcoastMike posted...
Racism nowhere involved, I think it's fine to judge the characters by their appearance.

The leftmost guy I assume is the one you are saying looks like a dirtbag? He's no better or worse dressed up than the other two.

I mean, what? He's the most simplistically dressed with just a white tee and jeans, and is covered in stains on top of that. You might try and figure maybe it's from whatever misadventure the three may have just been in (if any), but the other two are looking fresh.

Sounds too much like preaching for some unrealistic equality. First impressions are a thing. I'm not saying to go out and start judging people by a quick glance, but in this instance we're talking about a created character who was likely made to look that way for reason.

I missed the stains. I was looking mostly at the full picture rather than the close up zoom in shot.

Still, I felt that the other poster was making broader generalizations that went beyond the gaming world.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/64275451 - Skyrim Level 81 Guide