This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bethesda and rockstar team up to make a continent wide free roamer

#11RPG maniac87Posted 11/10/2012 12:20:02 PM
Could be cool. They should hire some good writers.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#12jubjub360Posted 11/10/2012 12:21:29 PM
Eoin posted...
I can barely believe anyone thinks that a "continent wide" game would be good. It's like they wrongly believe that the bigger a game is, the better it automatically is.

A game world the size of a continent would be too big. Either everything would be procedurally generated and essentially the same few settings over and over again, or everything would be copied/pasted and actually the same thing over and over again. Does anyone really think it'd be fun to walk for days between villages or towns? To spend hours getting from one side of a city to the other?

In fact, "too big" is a considerable understatement. How gigantic an understatement depends on what size you assume a "continent" is. Skyrim, for example, is about 40 square kilometres in size. Europe is about 10 million square kilometres. North America is about 24m km^2. Asia (44m km^2) is about a million times bigger than Skyrim.

Someone doesn't know the map size for Daggerfall
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
#13EoinPosted 11/10/2012 12:25:49 PM
jubjub360 posted...
Someone doesn't know the map size for Daggerfall

Daggerfall is too big, and has exactly the flaws I mentioned would be inevitable, and still isn't anywhere close to the size of a continent.
#14gr0mkakm0rgPosted 11/10/2012 1:05:10 PM
NO! NO! NO! Bethesda has already destroyed my faith in id games through that steaming pile called RAGE, don't let them ruin R* too!

id games good!
R* good!
BOO! Bethesda bad! Everything they touch is pure, unadulterated crap!
---
You say "greed" as though it's a bad thing...
#15DarknessXSeekerPosted 11/10/2012 1:07:41 PM
hockeybub89 posted...
DarknessXSeeker posted...
Condsidering that I DESPISE Rockstar and I don't like Bethseda for making Skyrim I would say, that I would not be intersted at all.

I despise you.

Well if you're going to play it that way fine, I despise you because your opinion is different than mine.
---
"You're gonna get shown the door, old man."
#16Elswood2112Posted 11/10/2012 1:13:47 PM
Bethesda would ruin it. I think if sucker punch assisted R* then that would prove to be much better in the end. Or just R* by themselves.
---
PSN: Elswood2112
Steam/Origin: shirahadori
#17SpacePirateSealPosted 11/10/2012 3:53:07 PM
Would rather just Rockstar make the game, we all know Bethesda can only make games with 2 less glitches than anything Obsidian puts out.
---
PSN>TheReal_Seal I'm the official Vega of the universe!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TrangOul-1280/hero/25125410
#18gtaking5Posted 11/10/2012 4:03:25 PM(edited)
I can barely believe anyone thinks that a "continent wide" game would be good. It's like they wrongly believe that the bigger a game is, the better it automatically is.

A game world the size of a continent would be too big. Either everything would be procedurally generated and essentially the same few settings over and over again, or everything would be copied/pasted and actually the same thing over and over again. Does anyone really think it'd be fun to walk for days between villages or towns? To spend hours getting from one side of a city to the other?

In fact, "too big" is a considerable understatement. How gigantic an understatement depends on what size you assume a "continent" is. Skyrim, for example, is about 40 square kilometres in size. Europe is about 10 million square kilometres. North America is about 24m km^2. Asia (44m km^2) is about a million times bigger than Skyrim.

Someone hasn't played Minecraft.

The generated world can, and is bigger than the total surface area of the earth. About 9.3 million times that actually. With the actual playable area around 8 or 9 times the total surface area. After that chunks are re written, and as such, can't grow bigger than that. Or something like that. The math over on the wiki isn't really making much sense to me
---
Amy don't you go, I want you around
Singin' woah please don't go. Do you wanna be a friend of mine?
#19EoinPosted 11/10/2012 4:24:05 PM
gtaking5 posted...
Someone hasn't played Minecraft.

Minecraft is mostly about making things. The size of the world is barely relevant, and if you couldn't shape the entire world to your whims, then Minecraft would be a horrendous game.

Also, I'm now a little tired of people not bothering to read and/or understand my post in their rush to tell me what games I've never played. Here is what I said:

"A game world the size of a continent would be too big. Either everything would be procedurally generated and essentially the same few settings over and over again, or everything would be copied/pasted and actually the same thing over and over again"

Whatever you think about Minecraft, it is procedurally generated - it ends up with almost entirely generic landscapes, due to how the game works.
#20rofflchopperPosted 11/10/2012 4:25:07 PM
Who wouldn't be sceptical of this? Mainly because Bethesda is in the mix.
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.