This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

#101Super SlashPosted 11/10/2012 10:13:04 PM
Vorzal posted...
Oh I am a great fan of the Xenosaga trilogy! I couldn't pick just one game out of the three to recommend to TC or anyone else, and I don't think any of the individual games stand out enough over Xenogears. As a trilogy, though, I think it is fantastic. Episode II can be tough going at first, but it's worth sticking with it. Personally I have always enjoyed Episode I the most.

Episode 1 is my favorite too, partly because of nostalgia and partly because I think the story was delivered the best in it. The ending was excellent at getting you anticipated for Episode 2.
#102VorzalPosted 11/10/2012 10:18:43 PM
Super Slash posted...
Episode 1 is my favorite too, partly because of nostalgia and partly because I think the story was delivered the best in it. The ending was excellent at getting you anticipated for Episode 2.

Agreed! I feel very nostalgic about Xenosaga Episode I to this day. Does anyone else feel that way? Just crawling about all the different ships, with the ambient space ship noise in the background...makes me feel strangely at ease.
---
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
#103badboyPosted 11/10/2012 10:22:59 PM(edited)
FFXIII and Nier, maybe the only mature Japanese-style RPGs you'll find on PS3. And maybe Resonance of Fate.
#104KamexPosted 11/10/2012 10:27:19 PM
Nier.
---
|< a /\/\ e
If you love someone, set them free. If they come home, set them on fire.
#105largerockPosted 11/10/2012 10:28:15 PM
Boob Wars definitely.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#106jim200(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 10:29:30 PM
First off thanks a ton you guys who are giving me these solid recommendations and for people who will in the future.

I appreciate it.

So I put Nier, Resonance of Fate, and TRINITY: Souls of Zill O'll in my queue.

I do have an interest in the Persona (or is it actually the Shin Megami Tensei?) series but I don't know where to start with it! You guys have recommended Persona 3 and 4 golden multiple times, but does that mean they're standalone and I don't need to play the other Shin/Persona titles to get them?

Chrono Cross is one of my favorites and I've beat it multiple times on the PSX. I remember it fondly. Especially the scene at the destroyed city mid game.

Xenogears is my favorite RPG. This is probably why some of you are thinking I'm mad for asking for a mature JRPG. I truly think Xenogears fits the bill as to what kind of game I like.

However like some of you have said, it's a standalone gem like Xenoblade. Thus not many games are like it, if any. Which sucks for me and whoever else loves Xenogears/Saga/Blade. I loved the Xenosaga trilogy (that was supposed to be 7 freaking games though!).

Valkyrie Profile is a PS1 game but the lenneth one is a PS2 game I believe.... so are those on the PSN? I could get away with putting a Valkyrie Profile 1 disc in the PS3 but not the second game. Damn incompatibility with PS2!
---
Thinking Is Destructive ::: Karma Lost: 98
PSN: Jemi200 ::: Wii FC: 8174 4557 0968 7719
#107theofficefan99Posted 11/10/2012 10:32:51 PM
Wait... why would you put Trinity in your queue?

Go play the demo and see just how godawful it is.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#108DrakillionPosted 11/10/2012 10:32:54 PM
Are you connected to PSN? If so, I recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Pesona 3 FES. Yeah, it's a PS2 title but if you haven't played, I think you should. It looks good but there is a lot of flickering on objects with a lot of lighting.

.... Well... there is Tales of Vesperia for the PS3 but you need to import it and know Japanese. There is a fan translation patch for it that's rumored to hit this year (last time I heard 2 months ago. Someone correct me on this.) but you need a Firmware of less than 2.0.

Other than that... Yeah, I'm sorry, but I kind of think of any for the PS3. If you have a Wii, I'd go for The Last Story.
---
---
"Dating Yukari Takeba is, like, the closest thing to dating Michelle Ruff, so I don't see the reason why not."- My brother XD
#109VorzalPosted 11/10/2012 10:33:44 PM
It is my understanding that one may enjoy Persona 3 and 4 without having played Persona 1 or two.
---
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
#110Super SlashPosted 11/10/2012 10:36:55 PM(edited)
There's no reason to play P1 and 2 before 3 since for one thing, most people consider P1 subpar and most people hate the gameplay of P2.

P3 and 4 are connected, but you won't see many of the connections until Arena, and plot-wise they're not connected at all (until Arena that is). But I recommend playing P3FES first anyway.