This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

#111DrakillionPosted 11/10/2012 10:44:13 PM
jim200 posted...
First off thanks a ton you guys who are giving me these solid recommendations and for people who will in the future.

I appreciate it.

So I put Nier, Resonance of Fate, and TRINITY: Souls of Zill O'll in my queue.

I do have an interest in the Persona (or is it actually the Shin Megami Tensei?) series but I don't know where to start with it! You guys have recommended Persona 3 and 4 golden multiple times, but does that mean they're standalone and I don't need to play the other Shin/Persona titles to get them?

Chrono Cross is one of my favorites and I've beat it multiple times on the PSX. I remember it fondly. Especially the scene at the destroyed city mid game.

Xenogears is my favorite RPG. This is probably why some of you are thinking I'm mad for asking for a mature JRPG. I truly think Xenogears fits the bill as to what kind of game I like.

However like some of you have said, it's a standalone gem like Xenoblade. Thus not many games are like it, if any. Which sucks for me and whoever else loves Xenogears/Saga/Blade. I loved the Xenosaga trilogy (that was supposed to be 7 freaking games though!).

Valkyrie Profile is a PS1 game but the lenneth one is a PS2 game I believe.... so are those on the PSN? I could get away with putting a Valkyrie Profile 1 disc in the PS3 but not the second game. Damn incompatibility with PS2!

I apologize for the double post. It's just that I only read the first 2 pages. I should have read the last page too.

It just crossed my mind: Valkyria Chronicles. It's an SRPG, but it's made in Japan so...

Regarding your question, Shin Megami Tensei is the name of the series, Persona is just the subtitle. SMT is sort of a mouthful so everyone else just refers to it as "Persona".

I'm not too sure about Persona 1, but Persona 2 is a dualogy. If you want to understand part 2, you need to play part 1. Persona 2,3 and 4 take place in the same world but take place in different time periods. Persona 4 is set three years after Persona 3. The sequels however do make some references to the past titles, but a lot of them are just nods to past games, no important story details.
---
---
"Dating Yukari Takeba is, like, the closest thing to dating Michelle Ruff, so I don't see the reason why not."- My brother XD
#112jim200(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 10:45:44 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to say I read about Okami HD and I think I'll get it. 15 dollars for a full game is a steal. Yes I know it's a bit old but it's refreshed now.

I'll play Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Are those on PSN?
---
Thinking Is Destructive ::: Karma Lost: 98
PSN: Jemi200 ::: Wii FC: 8174 4557 0968 7719
#113donutmanstormPosted 11/10/2012 10:53:17 PM
13-2 because time travel
---
Currently Playing - Halo 4
#114Ikilluha1Posted 11/10/2012 10:53:52 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
jim200 posted...
Will Tales of Xilia be cutesy too?

I heard a lot of good things about it, maybe if the story is deep I'll get that one.

It's more serious, but a lot of people felt the whole game was rushed.....but I guess we'll see when it comes out next year.

Even the Tales of team who developed it felt it was rushed I heard.
---
The official Mara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/Solar
#115Super SlashPosted 11/10/2012 10:58:35 PM
jim200 posted...
Oh yeah I forgot to say I read about Okami HD and I think I'll get it. 15 dollars for a full game is a steal. Yes I know it's a bit old but it's refreshed now.

I'll play Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Are those on PSN?

P4 isn't unfortunately.
#116hizumi84Posted 11/10/2012 11:13:26 PM
For me personal, here is the most deep and mature story driven games that I ever played in order (from the best to least) :
1> Nier (PS3)
2> Drakengard 1&2 (PS2)
3> Persona 3 FES (PS2)
4> Magna Carta: Tears of Blood (PS2)
5> Magna Carta 2 (XBOX 360)
6> Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
7> Last Remnant (XBOX 360 and PC)
8> Xenosaga Series (PS2)
9> Suikoden V (PS2)
10> Crisis Core: FF VII (PSP)
---
"If you cannot win at the game, if you cannot solve the puzzle, you are just a loser - N from Death Note
#117dpavol1Posted 11/10/2012 11:14:15 PM
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are seriously the epitome of what you are looking for (besides the Xeno- series).

The games have traditional turn-based combat which is so well-balanced and strategically-oriented that they put virtually all others to shame. Despite its association with SMT, there is no demon collection (which I greatly appreciate). Your characters themselves are half-demons and develop by mastering "mantras". The mantra system is what really shines. It gets so addictive and it allows you to specialize your party members according to the paths they unlock without restricting them from learning and using other abilities.

As far as stories go, these games are about as dark and mature as you can get, both in tone and narrative. The game world is referred to as the "Junkyard", where rival tribes battle each other eternally, though no one can remember why. Then, something happens that causes everyone to turn into half-demons (they transform in battle) who must EAT EACH OTHER in order to survive. Cannabilism is actually an integral part of the story and it connects well with all of the Hindu mythology at the core of the games' motif. In fact, although it isn't shown, basically the way you collect "atma" in order to develop your mantras is by devouring your opponents after every battle. So yeah...it's pretty damn dark. The story itself is also top-notch. I don't remember encountering a single cliche the whole time. If you can find these games (they are relatively hard to find for PS2 games) then you are certainly in for a treat.

Another game no one mentioned was Saga Frontier 2. While it isn't dark, it is mature and the character development is brilliant. Vagrant Story is excellent, Arc the Lad 1 & 2 (but not 3) and Legend of Dragoon are great as well. I can't believe no one has mentioned Eternal Sonata for the PS3. While it isn't dark, it is mature for a JRPG, and its actually quite fun.
#118MSN 04 SazabiPosted 11/10/2012 11:17:03 PM
Well, Tales of Graces does get darker once you're past the childhood arc. Much darker, actually.

But then the power of friendship is a key theme so things inevitably brighten up.
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#119Super SlashPosted 11/10/2012 11:17:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation for DDS. I've been wanting to give that series a shot.
#120jim200(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 11:26:03 PM
dpavol1 posted...
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are seriously the epitome of what you are looking for (besides the Xeno- series).

The games have traditional turn-based combat which is so well-balanced and strategically-oriented that they put virtually all others to shame. Despite its association with SMT, there is no demon collection (which I greatly appreciate). Your characters themselves are half-demons and develop by mastering "mantras". The mantra system is what really shines. It gets so addictive and it allows you to specialize your party members according to the paths they unlock without restricting them from learning and using other abilities.

As far as stories go, these games are about as dark and mature as you can get, both in tone and narrative. The game world is referred to as the "Junkyard", where rival tribes battle each other eternally, though no one can remember why. Then, something happens that causes everyone to turn into half-demons (they transform in battle) who must EAT EACH OTHER in order to survive. Cannabilism is actually an integral part of the story and it connects well with all of the Hindu mythology at the core of the games' motif. In fact, although it isn't shown, basically the way you collect "atma" in order to develop your mantras is by devouring your opponents after every battle. So yeah...it's pretty damn dark. The story itself is also top-notch. I don't remember encountering a single cliche the whole time. If you can find these games (they are relatively hard to find for PS2 games) then you are certainly in for a treat.

Another game no one mentioned was Saga Frontier 2. While it isn't dark, it is mature and the character development is brilliant. Vagrant Story is excellent, Arc the Lad 1 & 2 (but not 3) and Legend of Dragoon are great as well. I can't believe no one has mentioned Eternal Sonata for the PS3. While it isn't dark, it is mature for a JRPG, and its actually quite fun.

I will look for Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. If they're not too expensive somewhere online I'm sure I won't mind. I played Eternal Sonata a bit and didn't like it's battle system. It seemed to rely on grinding too much. Now I know most JRPGs have lots of grinding, but this was not fun grinding to me.

I gotta get Legend of Dragoon, I think it's on PSN. Vagrant Story I love to death I beat it once now that I think about it I might play it again (I own it).

Awesome advice guys!
---
Thinking Is Destructive ::: Karma Lost: 98
PSN: Jemi200 ::: Wii FC: 8174 4557 0968 7719