This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

#31gikosPosted 11/10/2012 6:34:19 PM
about Drakengard let's not forget the back stories about each weapon and damn was it good
i spent a lot of time getting them all just to read it
---
"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty." - Sacha Guitry (1885-1957)
#32HakaiVeilPosted 11/10/2012 6:34:20 PM
Alltra posted...
You're not going to find one. For the most part, that style of game is lighthearted. It's rare as hell to find a Xenogears style story. Which is a shame, because the ones that are like Xenogears are some of the most amazing RPGs ever made.

*Cough*SMT*cough
#33AlltraPosted 11/10/2012 6:38:40 PM
I never got into the SMT series, because it's one of "Those" kind of games. The kind that likes to give you choices that restrict your access to game content. The kind with a ton of "Either Ors" to give the illusion of replayability. If the SMT series was more like...Breath of Fire IV, where you never get restricted or locked out of content, and there really isn't a hell of a lot of missable stuff, I'd like it a hell of a lot better.

But from a story perspective, yes, I'd agree. Again though, SMT is only one series with a handful of games in it, compared to the overall number of RPGs out there. So I still feel my initial assessment about their rarity to be accurate.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#34HakaiVeilPosted 11/10/2012 6:42:32 PM
Alltra posted...
I never got into the SMT series, because it's one of "Those" kind of games. The kind that likes to give you choices that restrict your access to game content. The kind with a ton of "Either Ors" to give the illusion of replayability. If the SMT series was more like...Breath of Fire IV, where you never get restricted or locked out of content, and there really isn't a hell of a lot of missable stuff, I'd like it a hell of a lot better.

But from a story perspective, yes, I'd agree. Again though, SMT is only one series with a handful of games in it, compared to the overall number of RPGs out there. So I still feel my initial assessment about their rarity to be accurate.

Nice overly unnecessary answer.
#35AlltraPosted 11/10/2012 6:46:07 PM
Glad you liked it.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#36PoorCountryPosted 11/10/2012 7:08:29 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
PoorCountry posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
MyPhantomile posted...
I'd recommend Drakengard as well as Nier. Both have mature themes.

Resonance of Fate isn't cutesy, but I wouldn't quite call it mature. It's a fun adventure with some lighthearted tones.

There isn't really any story until the last two chapters in RoF.

There's a story. You just have a -- no offense -- small idea of what a story is.

None taken. It doesn't really count as a story to me. There are bits and pieces of a story here and there in RoF, but it's mostly little, light-hearted episodes until Chapter 14.

I'm foggy on the terminology, but I think what starts at Chapter 14 is called Rising Action, and everything before (a large portion of the game, yeah) is exposition. Not sure how dramatic structure applies to video game stories, though -- they aren't very focused. Just a bunch of stuff happening as an excuse for gameplay.
#37PoorCountryPosted 11/10/2012 7:14:05 PM
Alltra posted...

The mainline SMT series doesn't have a lot of either/or from what I remember. The spin-offs do. This sounds like a weak excuse, though. Maybe there was a time when you felt so perturbed by an either/or scenario that you up and decided, "I don't enjoy the gameplay or the story anymore!" but that would be illogical.
#38AlltraPosted 11/10/2012 7:24:17 PM
You need a hearing aid.
---
#39jim200(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 7:29:28 PM(edited)
Drakengard it is. Oh it looks like it's on PS2 and my PS2 has a bad disc drive...

Are the Drakengard games on PSN? If not how else can I play them? Getting a new PS2?
---
Thinking Is Destructive ::: Karma Lost: 98
PSN: Jemi200 ::: Wii FC: 8174 4557 0968 7719
#40PoorCountryPosted 11/10/2012 7:28:11 PM
Alltra posted...
You need a hearing aid.

You're being defensive about poop.