This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

#61Devil_wings00Posted 11/10/2012 8:04:22 PM
Xenogears. Soylent green references, a corrupt christian church proxy, genocide, dual personalities, deep complicated characters (while most of them), mechs and giant monsters. You don't get much more J in a JRPG then this game without it resorting to cutesy (excluding one character). It all kind of loses it on the second disk and especially the last 2 hours but this games walks that perfect razors edge of being complex without being convoluted (if you make sure to pay attention). At least until the last 2 hours then it falls of the cliff into convoluted but the first disk is a masterpiece.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#62TheCyborgNinjaPosted 11/10/2012 8:07:22 PM
Those are in really short supply these days. I'd recommend Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, honestly. They may get hate from some people, but they're still good games. Tales of Xillia isn't available here yet, but it's not full of the cute stuff like Graces f. I imported it last year and thought a lot of it.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#63TowerBooks3192Posted 11/10/2012 8:14:17 PM
Only ones I can think of are War of the lions and Tactics ogre for psp because its the only type of JRPG I really love.

I also found Radiant Historia (I think its serious compared to dragonquest) for the DS. For the PS3, only valkyria chronicles would come into mind, other than that I only have atelier totori, Meruru and Disgaea 3 and 4 but they won't fit the bill
---
"Once you go Marcus Munitions, you never go back us munitions"
#64LionHeart48Posted 11/10/2012 8:20:42 PM
Nier is the game your looking for TC.
---
IX > VI > VII > IV > X > VIII > V > XII > I > III > II > 50 miles down filled with human waste then XIII
#65Dalton Of ZealPosted 11/10/2012 8:23:12 PM
If you can get past the graphic style, Mother 3 is surprisingly dark and sinister.
#66Unbridled9Posted 11/10/2012 8:26:26 PM
What do you count as a J-RPG? I'm fairly sure Dragon's Dogma was made in Japan, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.
---
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat.
If you love a person, you won't cheat.
#67DragoncometPosted 11/10/2012 8:27:50 PM
TWEWY, Xenoblade and Mother 3 are my recommendations
---
Is it i e or e i?
#68DestinPosted 11/10/2012 8:33:40 PM
LionHeart48 posted...
Nier is the game your looking for TC.

yup

amazing how so many people on this board doesn't know what a PS3 is.
---
Destin the Valiant
#69reaper0123Posted 11/10/2012 8:39:22 PM
Excellent Suggestion for you, play Nier, it's an action/RPG from Square Enix, with an amazing story.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Trophyhunter0123?feature=mhee
#70BlackWizardMagusPosted 11/10/2012 8:41:48 PM
Really an odd question; many JRPGs are just cutesy and childish, but even ones with mature themes and good plots tend to show them in a cutesy style. It's how the Japanese do things; I'd say they prefer using a cast of exaggerated characters than just one or a few more balanced characters. Even some of the saddest, heaviest games and anime tend to include goofy, silly nonsense as well. Pretty sure it's a 360 exclusive, but Tales of Vesperia is a good example; despite a few characters seeming like nothing but typical, silly Japanese excess, the main character's journey is good and often dark, even though the whole package is ultimately positive. All the games mentioned, at least the ones I've played, include alot of that silliness. Yes, even Xenogears (though it's certainly less than most other games). A few more recent games may be less like that, but that also makes them less JRPG-ish in general (Dragon Dogma or NIER).
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus