This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.
4 years ago#91
Some good suggestions in this topic. If I had to suggest only one, I would pass over my beloved Atlus games and suggest (like many others have) Xenogears. It might be the deepest, darkest RPG I have ever played.

It didn't receive the budget it deserved, but IMHO it still stands alone.

Those here saying to ignore it, or that it's overrated, are (IMO) confused/mistaken.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose except a few bucks and some of your time.
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
4 years ago#92
Persona 3 FES (or Portable, if you have a PSP)

Persona 4

Possibly SMT Nocturne, depending on your definition of deep.
Status: Unconscious | Attack: Normal | Defense: Normal | Agility: Normal
Items: None.
4 years ago#93
flagg2kplus posted...
Deep...mature...JRPG...

What?

This. Sorry bra.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh; fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding a simple ending without DLC...
4 years ago#94
I'd recommend the following:

Valkyrie Profile - I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on the PSP, which I understand is an updated version of the ps1 game. I did not care for Silmeria as much on the ps2, though.

Chrono Trigger - Very great game. It is a bit old, but it is not showing its age at all. It has a great story, deep characters, each with their own history, and the way everything fits together is brilliant. Plus, it has quite a few endings for replay value.

Star Ocean - I'll admit, I've only played Star Ocean: Second Departure to completion, although I am a good chunk of the way through the first one. Second Departure starts out pretty light-hearted, although before too long things start to get somewhat serious. I'm not sure I'd call it a 'deep, mature' game, but it is a bit more so than the average JRPG.
Everything and nothing, heart and mind, fantasy and reality. These thing fly through my mind, driving me towards madness.
4 years ago#95
jenova posted...
flagg2kplus posted...
Deep...mature...JRPG...

What?

This. Sorry bra.

Coming from someone with "jenova" as his username.

There are plenty of mature JRPG's.
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
4 years ago#96
Vorzal posted...
Some good suggestions in this topic. If I had to suggest only one, I would pass over my beloved Atlus games and suggest (like many others have) Xenogears. It might be the deepest, darkest RPG I have ever played.

It didn't receive the budget it deserved, but IMHO it still stands alone.

Those here saying to ignore it, or that it's overrated, are (IMO) confused/mistaken.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose except a few bucks and some of your time.

Xenosaga is deeper honestly, though it suffers from pacing/budget issues just as much as Xenogears.

It's a really good game, but disc 2 just craps on everything.
4 years ago#97
RyuuHou25 posted...
Dark Souls/Dragons Dogma type route

Not JRPGs.

This gen in terms of dark JRPGs, you have a choice between these 3 games:

Nier
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll
Resonance of Fate
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
4 years ago#98
Lol

Mature JRPG? Hahahahahahah....Dark Souls
4 years ago#99
Final Fantasy Tactics
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
4 years ago#100
Oh I am a great fan of the Xenosaga trilogy! I couldn't pick just one game out of the three to recommend to TC or anyone else, and I don't think any of the individual games stand out enough over Xenogears. As a trilogy, though, I think it is fantastic. Episode II can be tough going at first, but it's worth sticking with it. Personally I have always enjoyed Episode I the most.
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived