This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a deep, mature JRPG for me.

#91VorzalPosted 11/10/2012 10:46:17 PM
Some good suggestions in this topic. If I had to suggest only one, I would pass over my beloved Atlus games and suggest (like many others have) Xenogears. It might be the deepest, darkest RPG I have ever played.

It didn't receive the budget it deserved, but IMHO it still stands alone.

Those here saying to ignore it, or that it's overrated, are (IMO) confused/mistaken.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose except a few bucks and some of your time.
---
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
#92Akihiko__SanadaPosted 11/10/2012 10:48:23 PM
Persona 3 FES (or Portable, if you have a PSP)

Persona 4

Possibly SMT Nocturne, depending on your definition of deep.
---
Status: Unconscious | Attack: Normal | Defense: Normal | Agility: Normal
Items: None.
#93jenovaPosted 11/10/2012 10:49:27 PM
flagg2kplus posted...
Deep...mature...JRPG...

What?

This. Sorry bra.
---
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh; fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding a simple ending without DLC...
#94Axels_BladePosted 11/10/2012 10:50:56 PM
I'd recommend the following:

Valkyrie Profile - I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on the PSP, which I understand is an updated version of the ps1 game. I did not care for Silmeria as much on the ps2, though.

Chrono Trigger - Very great game. It is a bit old, but it is not showing its age at all. It has a great story, deep characters, each with their own history, and the way everything fits together is brilliant. Plus, it has quite a few endings for replay value.

Star Ocean - I'll admit, I've only played Star Ocean: Second Departure to completion, although I am a good chunk of the way through the first one. Second Departure starts out pretty light-hearted, although before too long things start to get somewhat serious. I'm not sure I'd call it a 'deep, mature' game, but it is a bit more so than the average JRPG.
---
Everything and nothing, heart and mind, fantasy and reality. These thing fly through my mind, driving me towards madness.
#95theofficefan99Posted 11/10/2012 10:53:23 PM
jenova posted...
flagg2kplus posted...
Deep...mature...JRPG...

What?

This. Sorry bra.

Coming from someone with "jenova" as his username.

There are plenty of mature JRPG's.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#96Super SlashPosted 11/10/2012 10:56:58 PM
Vorzal posted...
Some good suggestions in this topic. If I had to suggest only one, I would pass over my beloved Atlus games and suggest (like many others have) Xenogears. It might be the deepest, darkest RPG I have ever played.

It didn't receive the budget it deserved, but IMHO it still stands alone.

Those here saying to ignore it, or that it's overrated, are (IMO) confused/mistaken.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose except a few bucks and some of your time.

Xenosaga is deeper honestly, though it suffers from pacing/budget issues just as much as Xenogears.

It's a really good game, but disc 2 just craps on everything.
#97hijokaidenPosted 11/10/2012 10:57:15 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
Dark Souls/Dragons Dogma type route

Not JRPGs.

This gen in terms of dark JRPGs, you have a choice between these 3 games:

Nier
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll
Resonance of Fate
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#98I-ROX-HRDPosted 11/10/2012 11:03:48 PM
Lol

Mature JRPG? Hahahahahahah....Dark Souls
#99Reginleif20Posted 11/10/2012 11:05:19 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#100VorzalPosted 11/10/2012 11:07:46 PM
Oh I am a great fan of the Xenosaga trilogy! I couldn't pick just one game out of the three to recommend to TC or anyone else, and I don't think any of the individual games stand out enough over Xenogears. As a trilogy, though, I think it is fantastic. Episode II can be tough going at first, but it's worth sticking with it. Personally I have always enjoyed Episode I the most.
---
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."