This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is worse on game creators: buying a used game or illegally pirating a game

#11theshovellerPosted 11/11/2012 1:39:35 AM(edited)
Pirating. Why?

1. It's illegal. That's a no-brainer. Won't affect the company, but still - the law's the law. Edit: If you get arrested for piracy (slim chance of happening, but still - stranger things have happened) you're not going to buy any of that maker's games ever again - which is potential lost sales in the company's eyes.

2. Cut off access to DLC, an online pass, etc. most of the time. Why most of the time? Well, you either pirated it for PC - and most (not all) PC games are digitally distributed, and when digitally distributed, most DD places won't sell you the DLC without first selling you the game. I mean, you need to have it to use the DLC, right? And the companies still make money off that crap. If it's for a console, then you usually have to mod your system to play pirated games, and modded systems usually (not always) get flagged when they connect to their respective services - and guess where the DLC is sold for those games?

With a used game sale, the company has a shot - however slim - that you'll buy DLC or an online pass, which they can't otherwise do if you illegally pirate the game, due to various distribution ways of said DLC and online passes.
#12Vergil92Posted 11/11/2012 1:34:20 AM
This is starting to feel like a self reassurance topic >.>
---
PSN: Mr_Scott_Kennedy
#13Jon_GodPosted 11/11/2012 1:36:11 AM
Pirating the game.

The reason is, is you buy a game used, you are supporting someone somewhere. Be it someone that may use the money to buy another game, or paying of someone that works at gamestop, so they can feed their family.

If you pirate a game, you are not putting anything back into the system.

My 2

-JG
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#14Garfield64(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 1:38:53 AM
Vergil92 posted...

Would you like me to get on webcam and show you "my" gaming collection.

I've collected games last 15+ years and have multiple thousands and buy every piece of technology under sun.

This is FAR from a reassurance topic as I do not "pirate" my self.

Though I feel buying used is wrong and hurts gaming companies and discourages them from "updating" and "adding" DLC to their games past the initial 6 months.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#15lebronwadeboshPosted 11/11/2012 1:41:13 AM
Both ..
---
"Sig"
#16Garfield64(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 1:41:25 AM
Jon_God posted...
Pirating the game.

The reason is, is you buy a game used, you are supporting someone somewhere. Be it someone that may use the money to buy another game, or paying of someone that works at gamestop, so they can feed their family.

If you pirate a game, you are not putting anything back into the system.

My 2

-JG

This I disagree with, I think pirates do "put money" into the system.

I believe by stealing games they would normally not buy but keeping their hobby alive. It encourages them to make bigger game buys (such as brand new prices) on games they know they will love.

Verses someone who buys used who is mostly only going to go for the "cheapest" price and keep buying used.

Meaning pirates put way more money into gaming industry then those who buy used to get a "good deal".
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#17thesnoopmeisterPosted 11/11/2012 1:42:19 AM
Vergil92 posted...

Ditto.
---
PSN - thesnoopmeister
Need help with account deletion - experts feel free to msg me assistance
#18lambchipsPosted 11/11/2012 1:45:03 AM(edited)
supermoc10 posted...
I think pirating is worse because sometimes, when someone buys a used game, if he enjoys it, he'll buy the sequel new.

how about if the person that pirates the game and never intended to spend money it to begin with, but finds the game great and decides to buy it?

it works both ways

the difference is people that buy used will never go back to buy a new copy, while the person that pirates have a higher chance of going back to buy new... why? because they havent spent any money on it yet

also buying used is worse because the people that pirate probably dont intend to spend money in the first place

---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#19theshovellerPosted 11/11/2012 1:43:20 AM
Garfield64 posted...
... as I do not "pirate" my self.

I'd hope you don't pirate your self. You'd go to swipe yer booty, then realize you're rich, RICH AS FILTHY DOGS, I TELL YE! But then, you'd realize you swiped your own booty, so you get sad, give the booty back to your self, then go to the bar together and have a drink whilst talking about all the scurvy lasses you'd have swab your poop deck while your self makes sure they shiver your timbers.

...... I'm tired, and that sounds funny to me now, but probably will suck to someone who's not, you know, borderline delirious due to lack of sleep. AHOY!
#20Vergil92Posted 11/11/2012 1:43:32 AM
Garfield64 posted...
Vergil92 posted...

Would you like me to get on webcam and show you "my" gaming collection.

I've collected games last 15+ years and have multiple thousands and buy every piece of technology under sun.

This is FAR from a reassurance topic as I do not "pirate" my self.

Though I feel buying used is wrong and hurts gaming companies and discourages them from "updating" and "adding" DLC to their games past the initial 6 months.

Lol ok.
---
PSN: Mr_Scott_Kennedy