This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is worse on game creators: buying a used game or illegally pirating a game

#21GensokyoPosted 11/11/2012 1:44:37 AM
Pirating, because when you pirate a game, I'm assuming you also pirate any and all DLC you want for it. If you buy a game used, the developers still get the money from any DLC you might buy.
#22THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 11/11/2012 1:46:03 AM(edited)
Buying a used game from a company that resells the original game developers' game with no profit earned by the original game developers at least helps the business in question, which begs competition. For example, GameStop and Best Buy.

While pirating a game neither supports the game developers nor any business, thereby hurting both of them. Oh, and it's breaking the law.
#23Garfield64(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 1:45:16 AM
theshoveller posted...
Garfield64 posted...
... as I do not "pirate" my self.

I'd hope you don't pirate your self. You'd go to swipe yer booty, then realize you're rich, RICH AS FILTHY DOGS, I TELL YE! But then, you'd realize you swiped your own booty, so you get sad, give the booty back to your self, then go to the bar together and have a drink whilst talking about all the scurvy lasses you'd have swab your poop deck while your self makes sure they shiver your timbers.

...... I'm tired, and that sounds funny to me now, but probably will suck to someone who's not, you know, borderline delirious due to lack of sleep. AHOY!

If you get modded it was some other douche not me XD.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#24RintonPosted 11/11/2012 1:47:38 AM
Online passes mean the majority of modern games require purchase regardless for full functionality. Beyond that DLC ensures that many gamers end up paying for content regardless of whether they bought new or used. Pirated games generally aren't compatible with DLC (especially on consoles) and thusly provide less opportunity for the developer to make money.

Your logic here would make more sense several years ago, but now developers are more able to make money off of used games regardless of whether it's as good for them as buying new. Either way, buying used games isn't a crime and stealing games is. Developers would definitely prefer you buy used to stealing their games outright.
#25GrabacrLeaderPosted 11/11/2012 1:47:41 AM
Neither, unless the game is pretty new. Game creators mostly only care about launch sales.
#26killakPosted 11/11/2012 1:50:32 AM
Pirating, since buying used is still showing the developer that you support their game ie own a copy of it.

Only idiots preach that buying used isn't supporting them.
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
#27crazyman32Posted 11/11/2012 1:52:50 AM(edited)
thesnoopmeister posted...
Vergil92 posted...
This is starting to feel like a self reassurance topic >.>

Ditto.

I read the posts in the topic and that is what it sounds like to me as well.I have bought used games before and I didn't feel bad but.usually it was months after the game came out.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM
#28ChaingunmasterPosted 11/11/2012 1:54:36 AM
Garfield64 posted...
Garfield64 posted...

So when you're saying pirating is worse you're saying a victimless crime is worse then a crime with a victim.

No I'm not.....?

Buying used takes money out of gaming market that could of went to a real game developer instead of some scum sucking company taking advantage of game makers.

While pirating takes nothing from any game company other then spreading the word of its product to more people.

Your logic is exceptionally poor.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#29THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 11/11/2012 1:56:57 AM
crazyman32 posted...
Vergil92 posted...
This is starting to feel like a self reassurance topic >.>

Ditto.

I read the posts in the topic and that is what it sounds like to me as well.I have bought used games before and I didn't feel bad but.usually it was months after the game came out.

Agreed. I believe TC, even though he claims he doesn't pirate games, in fact does pirate games; therefore, he is trying to and subsequently failing at convincing us that buying games used is worse than pirating games, thus reassuring himself that he is doing right. Lol
#30monkeypahngPosted 11/11/2012 2:03:30 AM
lambchips posted...
how about if the person that pirates the game and never intended to spend money it to begin with, but finds the game great and decides to buy it?

it works both ways

the difference is people that buy used will never go back to buy a new copy, while the person that pirates have a higher chance of going back to buy new... why? because they havent spent any money on it yet

also buying used is worse because the people that pirate probably dont intend to spend money in the first place

Do people actually believe that reasoning?

You know, because someone who pirates games, people who don't and won't pay anything towards games, will suddenly want to pay full price for games even more so than people that pay for games, but might wait for an used copy.

That's not true, if they love the game after buying it used if there is a sequel there is a higher chance of them buying it new than someone who pirated the game.

I can't take your last sentence seriously.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang