This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is worse on game creators: buying a used game or illegally pirating a game

#371Rickoon5Posted 11/11/2012 2:30:50 PM
I had a roommate that would pirate games, no harm, right? Wrong. I think with most pirates it becomes like an addiction where they just keep on pirating over and over because it's free. He owned around 10-20 games, but pirated almost 200-300. And like a lot of people on this board, he would find reasons to justify his piracy. "Well, sometimes I buy games new!" Yeah, SOMETIMES. But in the end he still pirated WAY more than he purchased.

I would typically buy used games. And probably about a third of the games I own were purchased used. But once I found a series I liked buying used I'd definitely buy the next game from that developer new in order to support them. I never had rationalize, it was legal, and putting money SOMEWHERE in the economy because piracy wasn't even an option.

Why would you even buy used if you were a pirate? And under that mentality, why not just pirate a FEW games here and there even when they're new. The constant juvenile rationalization of pirates is more than enough to convince me it's far worse in the long run for creators.
---
"I'll do whatever it takes."
#372MadDewgPosted 11/11/2012 2:52:11 PM
According to what epic said awhile back, pirating. Its one of the main reasons why epic has that "**** it" mentality when it came to releasing more gears of war games on the PC (and also why these days most pc gamers tend to hate the **** out of epic...for being "traitors" or something I don't know).

http://kotaku.com/5056532/why-no-gears-of-war-2-for-pc-well-piracy-for-one
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#373zorlaczeroheroPosted 11/11/2012 2:53:38 PM
The used game came from somewhere, most likely someone traded it in for another title, somewhere in the chain of trade-ins someone will have traded in software for a new game. Buying used does allow people in a roundabout way to support development. Many people could never afford a new game without the option to trade in an older title.
Sure trade-ins reduce the profit of game developers overall but they allow people to make new purchases with trade-ins.
Pirating is completely void of profit. Sure they may not have bought it anyway. But a percentage, however small would have bought it if a pirated copy wasn't available.
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed
#374Garfield64(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 2:53:43 PM
Rickoon5 posted...
I had a roommate that would pirate games, no harm, right? Wrong. I think with most pirates it becomes like an addiction where they just keep on pirating over and over because it's free. He owned around 10-20 games, but pirated almost 200-300. And like a lot of people on this board, he would find reasons to justify his piracy. "Well, sometimes I buy games new!" Yeah, SOMETIMES. But in the end he still pirated WAY more than he purchased.

I would typically buy used games. And probably about a third of the games I own were purchased used. But once I found a series I liked buying used I'd definitely buy the next game from that developer new in order to support them. I never had rationalize, it was legal, and putting money SOMEWHERE in the economy because piracy wasn't even an option.

Why would you even buy used if you were a pirate? And under that mentality, why not just pirate a FEW games here and there even when they're new. The constant juvenile rationalization of pirates is more than enough to convince me it's far worse in the long run for creators.

Your friend who bought his 10-20 new games and pirated 200-300 GAVE more money to the actual game developers then you did buying your games used.

In this particular case the Pirate actually contributed to helping developers while you did nothing to help them.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#375bluedragon619Posted 11/11/2012 2:54:18 PM
Has anyone brought up the fact that without a used games market, stores like GAME, gamestop etc would lose money, be eventually forced to close, then unable to sell the game and not everyone likes online shopping, plus I like being able to walk into a shop buy a game. Pirating means that the company aren't getting money from the original sale of a game in the first place let alone anything after.
---
Your dead, NOW STAY DEAD
#376chubbyfreshPosted 11/11/2012 2:55:28 PM
Buying and selling used items is a consumers right by law, so there is nothing wrong with it at all. Would you be happy if the Govt. tried to make it illegal for you to have a garage sale?
#377Bf109_Ace_1941Posted 11/11/2012 2:56:45 PM
Im a pirate.

Problem?
---
http://wallpoper.com/images/00/31/89/31/airplanes-luftwaffe_00318931.jpg
#378bluedragon619Posted 11/11/2012 2:57:51 PM
Also whether you want ot defend it or not, pirating is a crime, and a crime for a reason, surely if it was such a problem buying used games would be made illegal the same way pirating is.
---
Your dead, NOW STAY DEAD
#379keyblade_lordPosted 11/11/2012 2:58:35 PM
They're equally bad, the creators don't get money either way. I admit I pirate games to play them on my emulator, but only after I have already purchased them legally so I think that justifies it. I only buy second-hand games from my friends, and even then it is rarely. I prefer having new games.
---
OBJECTION! This Topic Clearly Sucks!
PSN, Steam and Gamertag: Joseponypants
#380monkeypahngPosted 11/11/2012 3:05:07 PM(edited)
Garfield64 posted...

Your friend who bought his 10-20 new games and pirated 200-300 GAVE more money to the actual game developers then you did buying your games used.

In this particular case the Pirate actually contributed to helping developers while you did nothing to help them.

You're making the assumption that Rickoon5 has bought less new games than his friend so, how can you jump to that conclusion? Also like to point out that Rickoon5 said that1/3 of the games he bought were new, which means that he has helped. Furthermore, Rickoon5 never stated that his friend actually bought them new, he only said his friend only had 10-20 games.

You do know that all that matter for the developers is how much has shipped when it comes down to how much money they earn from the games rather than the actually sale of the game to the individual, that's not to say it doesn't matter though.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang