This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is worse on game creators: buying a used game or illegally pirating a game

#431Stunning SteveAustinPosted 11/11/2012 8:52:13 PM
Pirating is obviously worse, seeing how downloading something usually involves seeding further piracy of it, with limitless potential. Used games on the other hand, there can only ever be as many used copies of games in circulation as there were copies sold. If a game is in high demand then it's going to sell regardless. If it's not, the 'used games' market is hardly to blame.
---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#432Devilman_AmonPosted 11/11/2012 9:00:05 PM
Once again, this is just a marketing smoke and mirrors 'pass the blame' effect publishers and developers are trying to do to shift the blame and causality of more expensive to make games this gen thanks to HD, in addition to not taking credit for bad games and justifying their shady DLC, online pass and "selling you an incomplete game" business practices this gen.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#433Jinzo 111887Posted 11/11/2012 9:49:39 PM
Once again, this is just a marketing smoke and mirrors 'pass the blame' effect publishers and developers are trying to do to shift the blame and causality of more expensive to make games this gen thanks to HD, in addition to not taking credit for bad games and justifying their shady DLC, online pass and "selling you an incomplete game" business practices this gen.

Some how, companies in the game industry went from acting like adults to children this gen. Trying to take extra cookies from the cookie jar even though they didn't earn them (online passes and DLC that isn't worth the price of it), blaming others for their failures/bad behavior (excuses for bad business practices and crappy games), and the "it's mine attitude" (claiming consumers are "too entitled") have shown up so far. I wonder what childish behavior is next.
---
I miss the Golden Age of gaming that died in the last few years. Yeah, we got better graphics, but it's not worth recent changes if you ask me.
#434tactikz4Posted 11/12/2012 11:17:37 AM
wow 434 replies
---
PSN/Battlelog: tactikz4
BF3 Best Multiplayer join platoon: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241111991065/
#435darkstar4221Posted 11/12/2012 11:46:44 AM(edited)
Piracy is so *bad* Xbox 360 games cost less than a $1 in China.

http://www.techinasia.com/thoughts-xbox-360s-potential-china/

This shouldn’t be a big surprise, given that the pirated games tend to cost less than $1 apiece, a far cry from the $60 a new game costs in the US. The downside of this is that hacked consoles can’t be used online — Microsoft is pretty good about spotting and banning them remotely — so the average Chinese Xbox gamer is missing the entire online experience.

If the Chinese are buying video games for a $1, it makes you wonder if video games are overpriced. I believe they are.
#436deathsaber79Posted 11/12/2012 12:08:55 PM
Pirating, obviously because that takes money away from everyone involved.

At least buying a used game pays a game retailer who in turn orders more games from publishers assuming they are a successful business..

Don't even try to argue it any other way, this isn't a debate, there is no positive spin to be put on pirating.
#437JerichoDarkstarPosted 11/12/2012 12:11:33 PM
No. Just, no. We are not discussing buying a used game is worse than pirating.

If I buy something, it is now my possession. I am then entitled to sell it to whomever I chose. Both the seller and the buyer are in their full legal rights.

If I pirate a game, I'm stealing it. Stealing is against the law.

Right there. Case closed.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
#438DunanBubbaPosted 11/12/2012 12:55:50 PM
Jericho, I couldn't have said it better myself regarding the full, total ethical and moral legality of used games.

You could add, though, that pirating isn't really 'stealing' in the strictest sense of the word. 'Stealing' deprives the rightful owner of a copy of the product. Pirating merely dilutes the value of the genuine products.

Still, pirating is illegal and used purchases and sales are 100% legal.

DB
#439Devilman_AmonPosted 11/12/2012 1:03:42 PM
DunanBubba posted...
Jericho, I couldn't have said it better myself regarding the full, total ethical and moral legality of used games.

You could add, though, that pirating isn't really 'stealing' in the strictest sense of the word. 'Stealing' deprives the rightful owner of a copy of the product. Pirating merely dilutes the value of the genuine products.

Still, pirating is illegal and used purchases and sales are 100% legal.

DB

Yeah you're not physically stealing anything but you are making illegal copies of the data.
But then again, people made copies of albums on their blank cassette tapes all the time back in the day but that wasn't illegal nor did it 'hurt' the music industry....

Though, it's the distribution that can potentially hurt because those people making copies of the music albums on blank cassettes back in the day, mostly kept it for themselves; there was little way to market that out if someone was trying to make a profit (except for physically selling them on the street which you could get caught by the police doing often)

With pirating, the seeding of said material is what they are afraid of the most (and with movies now too) because then they feel that the people leeching would have 'bought the original product then' if said seeding weren't available...so they are essentially "stealing the potential customers away from said product".
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#440Aqua69696Posted 11/13/2012 9:35:23 AM
deathsaber79 posted...
Pirating, obviously because that takes money away from everyone involved.

At least buying a used game pays a game retailer who in turn orders more games from publishers assuming they are a successful business..

Don't even try to argue it any other way, this isn't a debate, there is no positive spin to be put on pirating.

Not to mention DLC, I mean come on.

Piracy - Developer gets £0

Buying Used - Developer Gets £0 + DLC money.

Developer gets more buying used.

Now onto the other things. THERE ARE A FINITE AMOUNT OF USED COPIES,WHEREAS THE POTENTIAL TO PIRATE IS INFINITE. IF YOU BUY A USED GAME THEN THERE IS ONE LESS USED GAME OUT THERE WHICH MEAN THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO BUY USED, DUE TO LACK OF OTHER OPTIONS.

Also, WTF? Gamestop/etc is GOOD for gaming as a whole, would you prefer every game store to go out of business? Do you think that'd help the industry? Are you ******ed?

The fact that pirates can try to take the moral high ground is mind boggling. It's one thing to break a law and help no one but yourself, but to try and say what you did isn't scummy turns you from immoral to c***.
---
WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP, and we will never lose,
WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP, it's time to make a move.