This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is worse on game creators: buying a used game or illegally pirating a game

#51Shadowbird_RHPosted 11/11/2012 4:19:58 AM
I'd say buying a used game is worse on the developers.
When you buy a game, used or otherwise, that's one less opportunity other (law abiding) gamers have to experience that game, and build interest in that developer.

You pirate the game and another buys it used: two people experiencing a game to potentially be encouraged to buy (hopefully legally, better new) from that developer in the future.

You buy the game used and another doesn't: one person experiencing a game to potentially be encouraged to buy (hopefully legally, better new) from that developer in the future.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#52RintonPosted 11/11/2012 4:21:24 AM
hyjinx17 posted...
Its basically choosing whether to steal the game or buy it from someone you know stole it

Would it not be more accurate to say:

"Its basically choosing whether to steal the game or buy it from someone you know legitimately paid for it"

The developer already made money off of the title once via a legitimate purchase.
#53killakPosted 11/11/2012 4:21:35 AM
Buying used because not only are you not supporting the publisher, you're supporting companies like GAME and Gamestop.

How is supporting GAME and GameStop worse on developers? Do you honestly thing they want major video game retailers to disappear so their games will no longer be on physical display?

Supporting those companies is just your issue, not the devs.

Buying used doesn't compare to them knowing that they made a game so good that people want to play it, yet aren't willing to pay for it.
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
#54AsellusPosted 11/11/2012 4:24:15 AM
And outright stealing from them is better how? Goddamn the logic of somer of the people here, it's riiculous.

Not using the word "better", the only pirating argument that gets any sympathy from me is the "substitute demo" one for games that don't bother making one. "Harmful" would be a better choice of word, what publishers care about is lost revenue. A pirate is only a lost sale if they would have bought the game. A million people could pirate it and there would be no lost revenue if none of them were potential customers to begin with.

Not saying there's no convergence between the two, there are certainly people who would buy games if they couldn't get them for free - but there are also people who download things they have only marginal interest in because they're free and people who buy games they enjoy after trying them illegally and people who illegally download games that aren't offered in their area in the first place (India and China particularly).

In terms of supporting developers pirating and buying used are essentially identical - not doing so at all. I'd suspect though that most are more down on buying used though because it's hard to look at someone who does that as anything other than a certainly potential customer giving all their revenue to Gamestop (or etc.) undercutting their new product for $2-5, typically. On top of which most customers probably don't see anything wrong with it, they probably don't know that the new copy supports the developers and used one does not, and Gamestop sure as hell pushes people buying new towards the used.
#55ImpulseDOMPosted 11/11/2012 4:26:09 AM
I chose Pirating because, at least with a pre-owned sale, they have a chance of getting online codes and DLC sold.
---
PSN: ImpulseDOM-
http://i56.tinypic.com/ev9ngy.jpg
#56CallmegePosted 11/11/2012 4:26:19 AM
Rinton posted...
Callmege posted...

These days I tend to only pirate PC games if they're quite old. But I don't pirate often and I certainly buy more games through steam than I pirate. Also, in loads of instances I've pirated a game and loved the singleplayer (world in conflict for instance), so I've then gone out and bought it for the multiplayer. Or pirated one game (shogun total war for instance) and have then bought every sequel in the series.

So did I really do a bad thing by pirating shogun total war and world in conflict? Creative Assembly lost out on money from one game. But because of that they got sales for 5 games (i didn't buy shogun 2 as I was still loving empire and I'm currently loving napoleon, but I didn't pirate shogun 2 either).

The same can be said of preowned games. A great example is Dead Space. Dead Space sold over 2 million copies. Dead Space 2 sold over 2 million copies in its first week! I bought Dead Space preowned, I bought Dead Space 2 new. The preowned copy of Dead Space got me into the series, it acted like advertising and made me want to buy the sequel. I will probably buy Dead Space 3 at launch too. So yeah, EA lost out on money for one game... but they got a sale for 2 other games at full launch price because of it.

The problem is that I believe you're the minority here. Most pirates don't go back and buy the games after they've already got them for free. Hell, most of the pirates I know have been pirating games for well over a decade and buy such a small amount of titles legitimately that it's basically a non issue. The games those pirates do pay for are generally MMOs they'll play for a month and then discard.

Thievery is wrong no matter how you try to view it. You're screwing honest workers who create great products that entertain you. It's great that you're a part of a small minority that tries to buy games in spite of stealing them, but it IS a minority. Most pirates do it because they want to spend their money on weed, or alcohol, or dating, or any other number of things. Games are expensive, and it's much easier to steal them for free than budget for them.

I don't believe it is a minority on PC anymore. Not with how successful steam is these days.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008
#57gjc2007Posted 11/11/2012 4:26:42 AM
I'd say buying a used game is worse on the developers.
When you buy a game, used or otherwise, that's one less opportunity other (law abiding) gamers have to experience that game, and build interest in that developer.

You pirate the game and another buys it used: two people experiencing a game to potentially be encouraged to buy (hopefully legally, better new) from that developer in the future.

You buy the game used and another doesn't: one person experiencing a game to potentially be encouraged to buy (hopefully legally, better new) from that developer in the future.

Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URXvnFnlUeE

Seriously? REALLY? This is where we are?

I'll be back tomorrow. It's 5am here and quite frankly I just don't have the juice to do this right now (which wouldn't be an issue if GT would get the ****ing blogs back up and I could fix my sig link).
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://www.gametrailers.com/users/Noobiablos/gamepad/?action=viewblog&id=563106
#58hyjinx17Posted 11/11/2012 4:27:41 AM
Rinton posted...
hyjinx17 posted...
Its basically choosing whether to steal the game or buy it from someone you know stole it

Would it not be more accurate to say:

"Its basically choosing whether to steal the game or buy it from someone you know legitimately paid for it"

The developer already made money off of the title once via a legitimate purchase.

you call the price they give people legitimate? I call it extortion.Also, At least 35%(preferably 50) of used game sales should go to the developer. It isn't right to sell a game new, which nets the developer some cash then give customers pennies on the dollar for what they then turn around and sell it used for. It's called double dipping.
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only arguement I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#59RintonPosted 11/11/2012 4:28:24 AM
Asellus posted...
And outright stealing from them is better how? Goddamn the logic of somer of the people here, it's riiculous.

Not using the word "better", the only pirating argument that gets any sympathy from me is the "substitute demo" one for games that don't bother making one. "Harmful" would be a better choice of word, what publishers care about is lost revenue. A pirate is only a lost sale if they would have bought the game. A million people could pirate it and there would be no lost revenue if none of them were potential customers to begin with.

Not saying there's no convergence between the two, there are certainly people who would buy games if they couldn't get them for free - but there are also people who download things they have only marginal interest in because they're free and people who buy games they enjoy after trying them illegally and people who illegally download games that aren't offered in their area in the first place (India and China particularly).

In terms of supporting developers pirating and buying used are essentially identical - not doing so at all. I'd suspect though that most are more down on buying used though because it's hard to look at someone who does that as anything other than a certainly potential customer giving all their revenue to Gamestop (or etc.) undercutting their new product for $2-5, typically. On top of which most customers probably don't see anything wrong with it, they probably don't know that the new copy supports the developers and used one does not, and Gamestop sure as hell pushes people buying new towards the used.

Problems with your logic:

-Used games have already been purchased by 1 person and sold back to gamestop. This means that every used copy is one that the developer has already made money off of. It's not perfect, but it's better than a copy they never made a dime off of.

-Online Passes. I've never seen an online pass available to pirated copies of games. Online passes and DLC present the opportunity for developers to make sales to gamers even after they've bought used. This alone makes used copies potentially better for developers than getting robbed.
#60killakPosted 11/11/2012 4:29:23 AM
you call the price they give people legitimate? I call it extortion.Also, At least 35%(preferably 50) of used game sales should go to the developer. It isn't right to sell a game new, which nets the developer some cash then give customers pennies on the dollar for what they then turn around and sell it used for. It's called double dipping.

What is with the insane logic on these boards?

If you buy a game, then sell it for 35 bucks, are you going to mail 25% of it to the developers?
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na