This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that help depression?

#61rofflchopperPosted 11/12/2012 12:41:37 AM
I thought under the weather meant sick.
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#62paralyzed21Posted 11/12/2012 1:05:03 AM
mirrors edge
---
http://www.wearethepanicdivision.com | http://www.facebook.com/thepanicdivision
---
#63velvet_hammerPosted 11/12/2012 1:09:08 AM
neir,

bad ending in heavy rain
---
I must be Charlie Sheen reincarnate, because all I do is keep on winning
#64NovaKaneXPosted 11/12/2012 1:33:32 AM
Varron posted...
Games are good for short-term relief, but in the long-run they do absolutely nothing to help depression. I suggest talking to somebody about it.

/thread
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/f50jfr.jpg
Cot damn!
#65parkmanPosted 11/12/2012 1:42:46 AM(edited)
As a long time sufferer of depression, I have to repectfully disagree with anybody on here who say games don't help depression at all. Games have absolutely helped me through some dark times. Do games get rid of depression? No, but nothing, therapy, medication, can get rid of it either, but helps you deal with it, and for me, games have been able to do that. I'm not saying games are a substitute for meds and therapy,but use games in addition to those. When I read that you were "under the weather", I knew exactly what you meant. Here are my choices for you:

Journey, a lot of people mentioned this and for good reason, it's fairly easy to play, yet makes you feel satisfied when you accomplish something, and it's easy to get absorbed in it's beautiful world and music. In fact I suggest getting the Journey Collector's Edition which also includeds Flow, and Flower if you haven't played those already, Flower especially can be helpful, at least it was for me. The entire collection are some good games to relax and play.

I recommend some funny games like the Sam and Max games, it's never a bad time when you can play a game and laugh at the same time, very helpful. The Harvey Birdman game is an oldy but goody that had me cracking up from beginning to end. The Lego games are great because you can relax while playing those, and they are incredibly funny.

If you just wanna run around and kill stuff, I can't recommend the Postal games enough. Sure, not the most well recieved games from the gaming community (though a small pocket of us adore them to pieces), but they're fun, and funny. The Prototype series, especailly Prototype 2, lets you run around and cause all kinds of destruction. Very theraputic. Of course you can never go wrong with good ole Kratos in the God of War games.

Sometimes when I'm down, I like a good adventure game, solving puzzles, and interacting with other characters can help me a lot. So I recommend The Longest Journey, it's sequel Dreamfall, the Dark Fall Series (though you don't interact with characters in these), The Lost Crown, Culpa Innata, as well as some classics like Gabriel Knight. An oldy but goody is Bad Mojo, trust me you've never played anything like it. Not a point and click adventure , but an adventure nonetheless that I had a great time with.

A good scary game has helped take my mind off my troubles many a time, so check out the Penumbra games, Amnesia The Dark Descent, and Doom 3 BFG Edition (for when you want to be scared while killing the bejesus out of things), as well as other horror games. Siren Blood Curse is a fantastic PS3 exclusive that you should check out.

I hope my suggestions help out, sorry if I rambled on, it's currently 3:30 A.M. where I'm at and I've had 2 1/2 hours of sleep, but seeing a fellow sufferer needing some help, I couldn't resist. I know this is under a Playstation 3 topic, but I had to recommend some other non PS3 games as well. Always remember with depression, the only one that's going to get you through it, is you. Therapy, meds, and a good game can help you through some rough times, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Hang in there, keep working at it, because it gets better, trust me.
#66CBratePosted 11/12/2012 3:18:19 AM
I suppose you'll have to tell us whether or not it's clinical depression, in which case you'll probably already have meds, or just sadness, where you'll just get over it by making troll topics.
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 158 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: pabIito
#67RintonPosted 11/12/2012 3:29:39 AM
The Uncharted series. You'll seriously be grinning the entire time you play any Uncharted game. The witty dialogue and the amount of chemistry between the actors makes them about as much fun as you can have watching cut scenes/listening to banter during gameplay. It'll take your mind off things for sure, and it'll leave you in a genuinely good mood.
#68OfficeChairPosted 11/12/2012 7:43:32 AM
DarkGam3r posted...
OfficeChair posted...
i dont suggest gaming to deal with depression. you're better off jogging or some kind of cardio because when you do your brain literally releases chemicals that make you feel happy and improves its own long term ability to make these chemicals

Some people need a reeaaallly good boost/motivation to actually start exercising, therefore making it difficult.

when you challenge yourself to exercise just once it makes it a whole lot easier to do it the next time.
---
this topic is ruined
[i really hate classic rock]
#69ScreamingMidgetPosted 11/12/2012 7:46:23 AM
psychiatrist
#70nasumiPosted 11/12/2012 8:42:54 AM
Flower