This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, why do some guys choose female mains over male?

#291Magoo111Posted 11/12/2012 12:36:29 PM
The gender I pick for my character depends on the game.

In games like Mass Effect, I'll play through once with each gender at least.

In games like Dark Souls, I match my gender to my character. My Dex-Int, Pyromancy, and straight Dex builds are female - my Faith/Str and Str builds are male.

In Monster Hunter games, I tend to favor female characters due to the sheer bulk of time needed to get anywhere in the game. While I like a lot of the armor on both genders, I tend to like the female armor design just a tiny bit more.

In Gods Eater Burst, I -exclusively- play females, because all the men look like little boys. At least the girls look alright. Plus, they have some nice clothing options.

So really...its part aesthetics and part what feels right in a given instance.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#292Pro_TacticianPosted 11/12/2012 12:36:41 PM
Golden Maven posted...

Are you saying you're trans? Or happily a male with feminine characteristics?

Happily male with feminine characteristics inside, lol. Outside and voice are male lookin'/soundin'.
#293lukaselfPosted 11/12/2012 12:53:58 PM(edited)
Ex275 posted...
lukaself posted...
Ex275 posted...
lukaself posted...

Take time to read the article and you'll see that the survey was only aimed at gamers... believe it or not but the average gamer's age is 35. That's the difference between a serious survey, and a random blogging site. By my own experience only I tend to agree with these figures.

I read the article and survey and sorry to inform you but it's about gamer tastes and how most homosexual gamers prefered the RPG, since that was the only genre that people wanted more content catered to homosexual. It's about demographics.

See this quote: "Rockwood has designed a survey which examines the sexual diversity of gamers and how sexual orientation affects their gaming tastes and concerns."
http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/307547.html#cutid1

So not 48% of gamers are homosexual that would be silly, especially concerning the large amounts of homophobia in video game culture.

You read it all wrong and my comment too. I never wrote that 48% of gamers are homosexual and this quote isn't implying it either. You have stop making silly shortcuts.

Wait, you think I think that 48% of gamers are homosexual?
I thought you thought that 48% of gamers are homosexual.

My quote was to show that the point of the poll was about the preferences in the gay gamer demographic. I put it because I thought you were saying the poll proved that 48% of gamers were homosexuals.

I am being silly today.

Hmm yes you are. If you read the charts correctly the possible answer to your sexual orientation is noted from 1 "Completely Heterosexual" to 7 "Completely Homosexual" it is only the number 31 question on about 50. So if it's about a gay population how in hell does 28% answered that they are COMPLETELY HETEROSEXUAL. You'll need to make sense quick or I'll just assume that you think that bisexual and homosexual are the same thing. (and subsequently close the argument cause we're getting way too far off topic)
#294king_maddenPosted 11/12/2012 12:44:47 PM
Kit_Sakurazuka posted...
king_madden posted...
Kit_Sakurazuka posted...
Funny, I just had this conversation with my father the other day while I was playing Soul Calibur 5 with my attractive, scantily clad MALE character. He immediately voiced his disapproval with a crack about how only a *** would want to play as a character like that. I pointed out that MALE players typically make attractive female characters, which he ALSO disapproved of as 'sad'.

Then I asked him 'If you had to spend the next hundred hours staring at an ass, would you rather it belong to a man or a woman?' and he immediately picked female, of course. Basically that's what it boils down to: you're gonna be looking at the main character for a while, so wouldn't you prefer someone/thing that you find nice to look at?

As for my personal breakdowns...Back when I played an MMO, my MAIN was female, but the other four characters I played regularly were male. In Dragon Age 1 and 2, I played as men and downloaded a mod that let me date Alistair anyway (<3). In Soul Calibur 4 my created characters were about 90% female due to a lack of attractive faces and clothing for the guys, but it's about 60%-40% in SC5.

when you're watching a movie, during the story and action scenes are just staring at the characters ass, or whats going on around the character?

i dont even know how people can properly play games if they are just staring at their characters ass.

Obviously during cutscenes or actiony gameplay you'll be looking all over the screen, but in, say, an RPG (my prefered genre), you're going to spend a lot of time looking at the character you control while you run around. If the battle system is any kinda of turn-based, you'll spend a lot of time looking at the character/characters while deciding what to do/waiting for your turn.

Heck, even in cutscenes, you'll spend a lot of time looking at the main character, because presumably said character will have a big role in the story.

I'm not saying ugly characters are a deal breaker, I'm just saying that if I went to the store and had a choice between games with Kratos, Dante or Nariko on the cover, I'd pick Dante and/or Nariko and leave Kratos to the gamers who find muscle-bound baldies attractive.

when im running around in the game, im looking at the scenery, and where im suppose to be going next, in a fight im deciding which actions to take, then i watch them perform the action. A guy pushing over a boulder and then slaughtering a room full of brutes is more believable than a slim woman with perfectly done hair doing it.

when i play games im not playing based on whos "prettier", that takes all the realism away. when i watch a bruce willis, or russell crowe movie, while they are fighting im not saying "ew he looks so ugly fighting", its more along the lines of "wow that guys head was chopped off".
#295Devilman_AmonPosted 11/12/2012 12:50:20 PM
king_madden posted...

when im running around in the game, im looking at the scenery, and where im suppose to be going next, in a fight im deciding which actions to take, then i watch them perform the action. A guy pushing over a boulder and then slaughtering a room full of brutes is more believable than a slim woman with perfectly done hair doing it.

when i play games im not playing based on whos "prettier", that takes all the realism away. when i watch a bruce willis, or russell crowe movie, while they are fighting im not saying "ew he looks so ugly fighting", its more along the lines of "wow that guys head was chopped off".

You're playing a video game. You shouldn't be so concerned with "realism". You want realism go outside and start a bar fight.
Where's the realism in Pac-Man or Q-Bert?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#296ZephyriuumPosted 11/12/2012 12:51:17 PM
badtofu posted...
As a male, there are lots of varying reasons why I would pick a female over male characters. The most common answer I would give is pure aesthetics. That means their overall look is more pleasing or maybe the male model is just ugly.

It's not about "dat ass" for me and it's not about having an avatar represent me. It is simply, for the most part, which one looks nicer.

Female characters are always better to look at, also easier to customize, you can make te perfect girl ,and also, i find fun playing with the girls, i always prefer the heroines, if i can play as a girl, and she's beautiful, you can be sure that i will be playing as her,anyway, i think it's just a matter of preference, has nothing to do with being gay(i've been called this because i play as female in most games),or scamming, i just think that there is something in the female character that make them more pleasing to play as
---
Who would have fought for a land where blood flows till it clots each river?
#297MourningReignsPosted 11/12/2012 1:00:04 PM
Zephyriuum posted...
badtofu posted...
As a male, there are lots of varying reasons why I would pick a female over male characters. The most common answer I would give is pure aesthetics. That means their overall look is more pleasing or maybe the male model is just ugly.

It's not about "dat ass" for me and it's not about having an avatar represent me. It is simply, for the most part, which one looks nicer.

Female characters are always better to look at, also easier to customize, you can make te perfect girl ,and also, i find fun playing with the girls, i always prefer the heroines, if i can play as a girl, and she's beautiful, you can be sure that i will be playing as her,anyway, i think it's just a matter of preference, has nothing to do with being gay(i've been called this because i play as female in most games),or scamming, i just think that there is something in the female character that make them more pleasing to play as

I also prefer heroin.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#298Bleach313Posted 11/12/2012 1:01:25 PM
I choose males because welp I'm a guy and I don't want to be HIT ON. Seriously if you play an MMORPG or something as a female, all the dudes will flock to you like flies on a wildfire. Not in a good way either -_-.

Also some dudes have some fetish of playing as girls just to see their curves and stuff. Either that or to make guys look like idiots when they hit on them. Though some guys that pick females just like it... welp just because.

So yeah those are my reasons I don't pick females.
#299king_maddenPosted 11/12/2012 1:10:06 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
king_madden posted...

You're playing a video game. You shouldn't be so concerned with "realism". You want realism go outside and start a bar fight.
Where's the realism in Pac-Man or Q-Bert?

yea see thing is, we arent talking about games like pacman or qbert. we are talking about men/women in video games. if I could go to the bar and wield some magic, level up, and instantly become faster or stronger I would. I wouldnt play games at all.

if i prefer games that are more "believable" but just in a sense that "ok someone with this power or build can do this", like a kid beating a dragon with a stick, I would say thats pretty ridiculous, but a man with a sword and magic doing it makes more sense. neither offer much realism, but its what I prefer.

but hey thanks for the suggestion though, I NEVER thought of doing that.
#300Devilman_AmonPosted 11/12/2012 1:13:05 PM
king_madden posted...

yea see thing is, we arent talking about games like pacman or qbert. we are talking about men/women in video games. if I could go to the bar and wield some magic, level up, and instantly become faster or stronger I would. I wouldnt play games at all.

if i prefer games that are more "believable" but just in a sense that "ok someone with this power or build can do this", like a kid beating a dragon with a stick, I would say thats pretty ridiculous, but a man with a sword and magic doing it makes more sense. neither offer much realism, but its what I prefer.

but hey thanks for the suggestion though, I NEVER thought of doing that.

With great power comes great responsibility...

plus "magic" isn't supposed to be believable. That's what science is for.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)