Depends on the game. My main in online games is usually a guy, even if he looks like crap. After that, though, I usually play female characters, with a few other guys thrown in there for good measure. It's way more skewed towards females, though. I've found it's easier to make a female character I like the look of more than a male.
Hell, in Champions Online, I have something like 35 characters, and probably a good 25 of them are all female, with the men either having their faces covered up, wearing helmets, or purposely meant to be somewhat silly and goofy, like my Kung-Fu Leprechaun, or my Russian immigrant worker who's a super-powered janitor (his powers are the ability to make cleaning supplies come forth from his body. He has a paper towel cape and everything.)
Okay. After reading this topic for a bit I have several questions I want to ask.
1) Why does it matter? Seriously. In games that are played from a first-person perspective you won't likely see your character without panning out. The only affirmation of your characters will *maybe* be a few pronouns and the grunts your character makes in combat. Is that REALLY so immersion-shattering that you can't play as a girl?
2) Why is being female worse than being a Argonian? Seriously. What is it about being a human that happens to be a woman that is, somehow, much worse than being a lizard person from an entirely different species that only barely humanoid that functions in an entirely different culture? Would you rather play a murloc than a human female character JUST because the murloc is male? Is your sense of immersion tied to your genitals?
3) Is it really wrong to NOT want our characters to end up looking like He-man? Especially if they aren't warriors but healers?
4) Is it really impossible for a woman to be good/evil JUST because she's a woman? Like 'oh no, I'd defeat the Stormcloaks, rally the Imperials to defeat the Reapers, and pilot the Normandy into the Death Star core, but I'm on my period'? Are you REALLY that shallow?
5) Why can't a woman be a badass savior of the world? Yuna is ten times more awesome and badass than most male CoD leads and she wasn't even a fighter! Never mind that your own character is usually not confined by a predetermined script that cannot be deviated from.
The answer to all your questions is misogyny. 1) Immersion is a buzzword that is mostly used to mean: "I like this game because it's immersive" or "I like this game because it's not immersive"
2) Misogynists believe that women are inferior, thus if they play a woman the character is inferior or something.
3) Blame Samwise Didier for being unable to draw skinny men.
4) Misogynists are shallow by nature.
5) See 2. Men do everything better than women. Anything a man does is better than anything a woman does.
It is so sad to see that video games are so strongly ruled by misogynists.
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat. If you love a person, you won't cheat.