This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kotaku: Sony Is Turning into a Ghost in Japan and Around the World

#1FiendingHardPosted 11/14/2012 1:10:23 AM
For some people in Japan, Sony is already dead. The only question they have is how did Sony die, or who killed it, and how long will the spectre of Sony remain haunting Japan. It's a pessimistic view of the company but it's one reality in this island country.

A few years ago, Sony shops (stores specializing in their products), and small electronic dealers carrying most of the Sony line could be found in most shopping areas near major train stations. There are not many of them left now. Sony used to be the synonymous with Japan. During the late 1980s and early 90s, when it seemed like the land of the rising sun would eclipse the world, it also seemed like Sony would become the one brand to rule them all. But in 2012, the image of Sony has faded, just as the image of Japan has. Sony is shadow of itself in the land of the setting sun.

Hundreds of articles and several books have been written on why Sony fell into decline. Some of them should probably be retitled like a murder mystery: "Who killed Sony?"

The answer is not clear. Was it suicide? Was there an executive who pushed Sony in front of an oncoming trunk? Or is Sony dying from a number of self-inflicted injuries? Was Sony assassinated from the outside? Was there a criminal mastermind behind the fall of the company? Is there a "single-bullet theory" that works?

http://kotaku.com/5960411/how-sony-is-turning-into-a-ghost-in-japan-and-around-the-world

Keep in mind this isn't just for the gaming division but the entire Sony corporation overall.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Zone of the Enders HD Collection, Sine Mora, XCOM, Final Fantasy 6
#2danny5329Posted 11/14/2012 1:11:24 AM
I think the Vita killed them.
#3AlltraPosted 11/14/2012 1:12:37 AM
Complacency killed Sony.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#4OtakuGameraPosted 11/14/2012 1:12:53 AM
stupid article
---
oh admonishing melody, arise in the name of the necromancer!!! MYSTIC CAGE!!! - blast you into oblivion :P
#5Junpei_StupeiPosted 11/14/2012 1:20:41 AM(edited)
Sony isn't the same anymore ever since they let go of their humanity.

And by humanity, I mean when they stopped being Japanese.

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#6bloodcoastPosted 11/14/2012 1:15:10 AM
Sony is dead. Sony remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become Sony simply to appear worthy of it?
#7AlltraPosted 11/14/2012 1:18:24 AM
Just goes to show you the futility of competition. Why compete when you'll eventually die a slow death anyway. Was the 5 minutes of glory worth the agony of your slow demise? I should think not.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#8Junpei_StupeiPosted 11/14/2012 1:20:55 AM(edited)
FiendingHard posted...
- Was there an executive who pushed Sony in front of an oncoming trunk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Stringer

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#9RintonPosted 11/14/2012 1:20:57 AM
Alltra posted...
Just goes to show you the futility of competition. Why compete when you'll eventually die a slow death anyway. Was the 5 minutes of glory worth the agony of your slow demise? I should think not.

5 minutes of Glory? Sony was the number one manufacturer of electronics for decades.

Competition breeds the best result. There's no reason to innovate other than competition.
#10AlltraPosted 11/14/2012 1:21:52 AM(edited)
Which, in the grand scheme of things, is about 5 minutes. If that.....
---