This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kotaku: Sony Is Turning into a Ghost in Japan and Around the World

#81archizzyPosted 11/14/2012 10:23:08 AM(edited)
The PS3 is still expensive to produce and Sony still takes a hit (loss) from every PS3 sold.

They have been turning a profit on hardware (albeit not much) for about 2.5 years.

Gaming division isn't the issue. TV division is. Did the gaming division make some poor choices? Absolutely. But overall it is insignificant when the gaming company can gain a few hundred million while the rest of Sony loses billions or if the game company loses X amount but the rest of Sony loses 20 times that amount.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#82jabboonPosted 11/14/2012 10:30:33 AM
Sony screwed Sony!
---
Layin the Crunch Down-The Eredar Legends
#83RollingCradlePosted 11/14/2012 10:32:47 AM
Every news article like this one brings us a step closer to Dreamcast2, hells yeah.
#84pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/14/2012 10:37:02 AM
Really because it seemed yesterday ps3 worldwide on wiki which can't actually be changed by anyone in this case was ahead of the 360, and they are not a ghost but kotaku once again needs hits on there site, I haven't seen really recent stories from them as much.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#85JerichoDarkstarPosted 11/14/2012 10:38:31 AM
Discredited when I saw the word "Kotaku." Why do people believe that POS site?
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
#86RollingCradlePosted 11/14/2012 10:39:02 AM
^PS3 is still dead last, you must have been smoking yesterday.
#87wh0_kn0wsPosted 11/14/2012 10:40:36 AM
archizzy posted...
PPPPLAASSUMA posted...
I love how people are saying Sony electronics are "failing" now.

As if the basic design of a bluray or flatscreen TV has changed and now their products are crap. Riiiiight.

It's the same as ever, their consumer electronics are the same, the quality is the same. None of that has changed whatsoever. IDK about their R&D, but something tells me it doesn't matter so much right now when no one is going to buy anything anyway.

One thing that *has* changed is the world economy and Sonys presence in our minds. Because of that we have dumbasses on the internet thinking they know world economics and spout BS when it's just common sense that nearly all companies are in a lull right now.

Sony is about as "dead" from money loss as Microsoft is "dead" from losing out to Apple, which is to say, NOT AT ALL.

The problem has never been the quality of their tvs. They have pretty much led the industry on the CRT side of things and into the LCD side of things (not Plasma as they dropped that)

The problem is marketshare and their war with Samsung has beaten their tv division nearly to death.

In the pre flat panel era there were a lot less models to choose from and it was a very mature technology. Costs were down, market share was up

In the LCD era not so much. Just a few short years ago Sony had close to 40 different models in one year trying to please everyone and ultimately pleasing no one. They were dumping money into SED at one time and huge amounts into OLED while continuing to mature LED based LED tech.

Why do you think all these companies have joint ventures with their direct competition? Because factories where they make the panels are huge pricey and are only designed to cut certain sizes of glass.

Why do you think for years Sony and Samsung bought their panels from Sharp? Why do you think Sharp was still in business when no one bought one of their tvs as they were crap for nearly twenty years? It's because they were still in business purely from panel sales to Sony and Samsung.

Sony quality is there. Every year they have pretty much the best LCD (except last year with the Sharp Elite) but their pricing is out of whack.

In 2008 their first full array local dimming XBR8 edged out the Samsung LNA950 as the best LCD of the year. It was also noted to be the worst price per square inch on a tv as it had a price lock of $7,000 for the 55 inch version in the USA.

You could of picked up two 55 inch Samsungs for that price and had nearly identical tv capabilities. Hell for that matter you could of picked up a 60 inch Kuro Elite that had an MSRP of $6,500 but with no price lock and room to negotiate that had easily better picture quality and was a bigger set.

Don't kid yourself. Sony is in trouble but it isn't the doom and gloom scenario of the entire company going away like people try to paint.

What will happen though as there is already massive pressure to do it is Sony will pull out of the flat panel business. It would be a damn shame for that to happen. I don't own a Sony tv and haven't since the CRT days but I am a Home Theatre junkie who has followed this type of stuff for about 25 years and it would be a huge loss to the market and ultimately would be a blow to the tv lovers out there, whether you own a Sony set or not.

nailed it here. i've been though a ton of tvs and never got a sony simply because of the price.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#88pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/14/2012 10:41:27 AM
From: RollingCradle | Posted: 11/14/2012 9:39:02 AM | #086
^PS3 is still dead last, you must have been smoking yesterday.

It seems worldwide Sony as ahead by .2 in sales, they are dead last in NA only for the most part.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#89LittleBraverPosted 11/14/2012 10:45:58 AM
Haters going to hate. Anybody can said what they feel like. Obviously this person must really hate Sony.
#90kwando1313Posted 11/14/2012 10:50:35 AM
Did any of you guys read the bloody article?

a) It's mostly about the TVs, not the gaming division.
b) It's not written by Kotaku, it's written by others and republished on Kotaku.
c) They're not talking about how it's because the games that Sony is failing.

Jeesh, judging by almost all the comments here, you just saw
>Kotaku
>Sony
>Ghost
omgomgKotakuhatesSonydurr
---
"[Soccer] is like chess, only without the dice." -Lukas Podolski