This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Unskippable scenes in games should be illegal!

#1CrankShaftPosted 11/14/2012 9:06:57 AM
All offenders will be arrested and beaten.

I'm joking but sometimes I have to fight off sleep while I sit there being force fed tutorial information or something else completely unimportant.

Last night I downloaded the demo for NFS: Most Wanted and sat through 5 minutes of the game explaining to me that I will be driving around the city doing stuff. Really?

Video games are not that complex that we need a full length feature movie to explain to us the ins and outs of the game.

It's not that big a deal but c'mon they should just make them skippable
#2theshovellerPosted 11/14/2012 9:10:39 AM
Yeah, I can see them using a cutscene to cover the fact it's loading something, but scenes should be skippable (and not "easily skippable" - I mean hit a button, then have it prompt you to hit a certain button to skip the scene like Borderlands or Halo 4.)
#3killakPosted 11/14/2012 9:12:11 AM
The whole time the game explains things in the beginning, you're freeroaming as you please.

What do you need to skip there?
---
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil
#4Thermador446Posted 11/14/2012 9:12:33 AM
Dualshock controllers should actually shock people for attempting to skip cut-scenes the first time playing a game imo
---
1st off, I put your name on there as a f***ing courtesy.
& 2, the Annilhilatrix is Taquistan's only hope to bring down Mr. Fords illegal regime.
#5JahkeemyorkPosted 11/14/2012 9:17:57 AM
Thermador446 posted...
Dualshock controllers should actually shock people for attempting to skip cut-scenes the first time playing a game imo

Nah some cutscenes can tend to drag and be boring, and by drag I mean it's practically an endless repeating conversation to give the illusion of length. Or the story can really be just that boring I've had points in a few games I would skip after a certain while but that's only if the cutscene is 3+ minutes and is obviously going no where in that time. RPGs I make an exception for
#6HorrorSindicatePosted 11/14/2012 9:19:45 AM
Thermador446 posted...

If it is a simple Tutorial Exercise and adds nothing to the Narrative... And really most games are written so poorly that playing them from a pure gameplay perspective is viable IMO.
---
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
#7HakaiVeilPosted 11/14/2012 9:20:30 AM
I don't mind unskippable as long as I can PAUSE.

I remember the old days where once I hit a scene, I was screwed for the next 10 minutes because I couldn't pause it.

AND, coincidentally, life decided to happen every single time a scene hit.
#8deprofundis442Posted 11/14/2012 9:25:20 AM
HakaiVeil posted...

I remember the old days where once I hit a scene, I was screwed for the next 10 minutes because I couldn't pause it.

Yea... MGS games. 10 minute long scenes that couldn't be paused. So stupid.
#9theshovellerPosted 11/14/2012 9:26:38 AM
HakaiVeil posted...

Same here. I think a lot of members of my family have a built-in climax-alarm, where once you reach the climax of a movie, game, or cutscene, they MUST knock oin your door, screech your name, or otherwise demand full attention on them and not on what you're (trying to) do.
#10SieKensouPosted 11/14/2012 9:29:56 AM
i support 1st playthrough unskippable. and pause enabled is always good. (you might have to leave somewhere for a tiny bit etc)

a feature that i don't know if it's been implemented is having some form of autosave just before the event. a quick-save feature. (quicksave->quickload that only has one slot. you can't manually save this but it is basically the equivalent of checkpoints.) you'll be allowed to use your save / load files normally unless you want to use the quick-load.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462