This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Unskippable scenes in games should be illegal!

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Unskippable scenes in games should be illegal!

User Info: CrankShaft

CrankShaft
4 years ago#1
All offenders will be arrested and beaten.

I'm joking but sometimes I have to fight off sleep while I sit there being force fed tutorial information or something else completely unimportant.

Last night I downloaded the demo for NFS: Most Wanted and sat through 5 minutes of the game explaining to me that I will be driving around the city doing stuff. Really?

Video games are not that complex that we need a full length feature movie to explain to us the ins and outs of the game.

It's not that big a deal but c'mon they should just make them skippable

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
4 years ago#2
Yeah, I can see them using a cutscene to cover the fact it's loading something, but scenes should be skippable (and not "easily skippable" - I mean hit a button, then have it prompt you to hit a certain button to skip the scene like Borderlands or Halo 4.)

User Info: killak

killak
4 years ago#3
The whole time the game explains things in the beginning, you're freeroaming as you please.

What do you need to skip there?
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil

User Info: Thermador446

Thermador446
4 years ago#4
Dualshock controllers should actually shock people for attempting to skip cut-scenes the first time playing a game imo
1st off, I put your name on there as a f***ing courtesy.
& 2, the Annilhilatrix is Taquistan's only hope to bring down Mr. Fords illegal regime.

User Info: Jahkeemyork

Jahkeemyork
4 years ago#5
Thermador446 posted...
Dualshock controllers should actually shock people for attempting to skip cut-scenes the first time playing a game imo

Nah some cutscenes can tend to drag and be boring, and by drag I mean it's practically an endless repeating conversation to give the illusion of length. Or the story can really be just that boring I've had points in a few games I would skip after a certain while but that's only if the cutscene is 3+ minutes and is obviously going no where in that time. RPGs I make an exception for

User Info: HorrorSindicate

HorrorSindicate
4 years ago#6
Thermador446 posted...

If it is a simple Tutorial Exercise and adds nothing to the Narrative... And really most games are written so poorly that playing them from a pure gameplay perspective is viable IMO.
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder

User Info: HakaiVeil

HakaiVeil
4 years ago#7
I don't mind unskippable as long as I can PAUSE.

I remember the old days where once I hit a scene, I was screwed for the next 10 minutes because I couldn't pause it.

AND, coincidentally, life decided to happen every single time a scene hit.

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
4 years ago#8
HakaiVeil posted...

I remember the old days where once I hit a scene, I was screwed for the next 10 minutes because I couldn't pause it.

Yea... MGS games. 10 minute long scenes that couldn't be paused. So stupid.

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
4 years ago#9
HakaiVeil posted...

Same here. I think a lot of members of my family have a built-in climax-alarm, where once you reach the climax of a movie, game, or cutscene, they MUST knock oin your door, screech your name, or otherwise demand full attention on them and not on what you're (trying to) do.

User Info: SieKensou

SieKensou
4 years ago#10
i support 1st playthrough unskippable. and pause enabled is always good. (you might have to leave somewhere for a tiny bit etc)

a feature that i don't know if it's been implemented is having some form of autosave just before the event. a quick-save feature. (quicksave->quickload that only has one slot. you can't manually save this but it is basically the equivalent of checkpoints.) you'll be allowed to use your save / load files normally unless you want to use the quick-load.
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Unskippable scenes in games should be illegal!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived